I do not understand why this happened to me?

Options
I had a VERY good two weeks. I lost 3.5 pounds and I was extremely happy. I decided to have a cheat meal which I did not log. It was pasta with breadsticks and salad. Water to drink.
I went from 151 to 163 just today!!
How did this happen? I lost 3.5 pounds only to gain 12 overnight??

Replies

• Kathrynrbg
    Kathrynrbg Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    May be your scale broke down. 12 lbs. is way to much i have gained 6 lbs the most, but next day i am down 4 and 2 stay for a little while. i pee all night though. how tall are you?
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7. I ate the meal at 6PM. It's currently 1AM and I have yet to void or anything. Water retention?
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sounds like extreme sodium overload + normal weight fluctuation. Drink some water and just get back to your regular calorie goal. It'll be fine.
    Edit to add: Don't weigh yourself at 1am after an extravagant meal. Just get back to your plan and weigh at your normal time.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've had crazy fluctuations of 4-5 pounds from one day to the next but never anything close to 12 pounds. Always weigh yourself at the same time (first thing in the morning after you've done your morning duties is idea.) Don't upset yourself with a late night weigh in after a huge meal. A pint of fluid is a pound and if you've been drinking a lot of liquid, you could have extra "transient" weight there.

I'm not a nutritional expert in anyway, but I noticed you have high sodium counts on your diary. Sodium is not helping your cause ; ) Try to avoid processed or fast foods for a week and see if you notice a difference in your sodium levels and weight fluctuations. At the very least, a modest sodium intake will be better for your overall health.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It will go.
    I am sure you know that realistically, you cannot have possibly eaten enough to gain 12Ibs of genuine weight in that space of time.
    Also, weighing yourself after eating and drinking ?? Why? You have the weight of all that food still in you.

Oh, and also suggest new batteries in your scale, in case. Or removing them and putting back in.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    That's an unusually large fluctuation. But the time span is far too short for it to be new body mass of any kind. So it has to be mostly water retention. Eating a lot more carbs than normal can do that temporarily. So can salt.
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    I definitely had a carb and sodium overload. But I was worried that 12 pounds ever after weighing with the food and liquids inside of me, isn't that unusually large amount of weight? Typically it's 5 pounds max. Replaced batteries just now. Same weight.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself for a day or two after a cheat meal. Your weight will come back down. Just give it time.

If your maintenance is 2k per day and you ate that plus 7,000 calories for that meal (way overestimating) then and only then would you see a true two lb gain. Just go back to normal and so will your weight. It just might take a week or two.
  • snappled
    snappled Posts: 48
    Options
    How big was the bowl of pasta? :)
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    Definitely just discouraged this time with so much I put on after the cheat meal. I guess
    I'm thinking maybe a cheat SNACK next time. I didn't know one meal would set me back so far. This is why I'm frustrated. /:
    I am not weighing again until Monday.
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    Pretty big, but honestly an average American dish.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My guess is, you were low on Glycogen from a low carb diet and lot's of cardio. When you ate the carbs, your muscles were replenished with Glycogen, which attaches itself to water molecules. Go back to your regular eating and exercise routine and it will go away.
  • vaishnavijayasankar
    vaishnavijayasankar Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    maybe you weighed at a wrong time!!!!
    well its ok just continue with what you do :)
    things will get on track :)
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain that much. It's likely the weight of the food, fluid retention, sodium, etc. Give it a couple of days. It'll be gone.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your scale is working (and was workign the last weeks)? Even if you consumed 20 servings of pasta, still it is impossible to gain that much in a day.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7. I ate the meal at 6PM. It's currently 1AM and I have yet to void or anything. Water retention?

Water retention + food weight.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's not a real weight gain. Give it a few days, drink plenty of water, and don't stress.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate immensely if you weigh yourself right after a cheat meal/day.

I had an entire XL Hawaiian pizza from Domino's before eating out at a brewery for my roommate's 21st birthday (I also had dessert). Long story short, I had a food baby that lasted well into the next day and ended up staying in bed due to the lack of energy lol.

Give yourself more time before weighing.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of different things. It could be the fact you weighed in right after eating that meal, the sodium combined with the water could easily amount to a 12 pound gain, but it's nothing that would stay with you. One cheat meal will never derail progress that bad. It'd take well over 30,000 calories to gain that much, and that's just not humanly possible, so you don't really need to stress the number you are seeing.

Also try weighing in less; avoid especially after 'free days'. When I am tracking my weigh-ins, I do it one to two times a month at most. Weight can fluctuate like crazy, so it's good to space it out to get a real steady count of progress on it.