Fruit Myth... Fact or fiction.

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Did you hear about that guy who died from eating fruit and vegetables? Nah me either. Probably because fruits and vegetables with a variety of nuts are a flawless diet.

Pre-Med - Future PA

Medical Assistant

Nutritionist

I love education :)

Flawless? Depends. It is not flawless if you are deficient in a nutrient. Also, 'not dying' isn't that much of a marketing slogan =)

Actually one dude died from eating only celery (I think it was celery...could have been cucumber).
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit everyday. It has sugar but it also has vitamins….as long as you fit it into your macros your fine.

If I am not mistaken fruit has fiber as well!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Probably because fruits and vegetables with a variety of nuts are a flawless diet.
    Flawless for a ape maybe
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    So my vegan friend has been trying to convince me that an all raw fruit and veg lifestyle is the way to go but then other people say how the sugar in fruit is sooooo bad for you.
    I don't know what to believe. I love fruit but if it is not going to help me lose weight then I need to avoid it right?
    Is it the case that people with higher metabolisms process the 'sugars' in fruit and turn them into energy and people with slower metabolisms turn the 'sugars' in fruit into fat?

HELP

I can put this thing to rest. I am eating a raw food diet and I eat lots of fruit everyday. I have type II diabetes and all medical advice says to pretty much stay away from fruit, particularly bananas and a few others. I read an article about fat being a bigger factor in diabetes than was originally thought. If you reduce your fat intake to less than 10%, fruit and whole grains will not cause high blood glucose level (BGL). I decided to try it and if things were worse I could just stop. Within 48 hrs I saw my BGL start to drop. By the end of the first week, every check of my BGL dropped below 140, which is what the medical community says the diabetics should be doing. Within 2-3 weeks my BGL dropped down to 100-110, which doctors get ecstatic about. Now I am at day 38 and the last week my BGL levels have dropped down to 80-85, a few times a little lower and a couple times in the low 90s. The healthiest adults without diabetes has a fasting level (like after a full nights sleep) is 75-80 and 2 hrs after meals is about 80-90. Mine is on the upper end of that level.

I eat anywhere from 4-10 bananas a day. I add in apples, mangos, berries, kiwi, spinach, broccoli, kale, lettuce and dates. I go by an 80/10/10 diet. That's 80% carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat. When I started whole grains were still spiking my BGL. Last night I did a vegetable stir fry with short grain brown rice. I used probably too much olive oil and my fat level jumped to 36% for the day. 2 hours after the meal my BGL was 95. Up a little, but still very good. I won't have that meal often, but I feel comfortable allowing a meal like that every once in a while. The other week it was my son's birthday and I allowed myself to have a small piece of cake and 1 scoop of ice cream. My BGL didn't go up at all.

My view is if you keep you fat consumption low, the fructose in fruits have no ill effect, even when having lots of fruit.

I did read one study (which I can't find again) that said diabetes can be controlled with a diet of 75% carbs. I know 1 banana does push my sugar up, but then I'm not at 10% fat...

Glad you found something that works for you.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said...moderation. Just be sure to accurately measure the cals from the fruit. Before i bought a food scale I would log the big *kitten* apples I'd buy from the store at FAR LESS than they actually were (like, 50 cals instead of 120...). The sugar may be natural but it makes fruit naturally higher calorie than veggies.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Did you hear about that guy who died from eating fruit and vegetables? Nah me either. Probably because fruits and vegetables with a variety of nuts are a flawless diet.

Pre-Med - Future PA

Medical Assistant

Nutritionist

Cool+Story+Non-Sarcastic.+Everytime+I+see+a+cool+story+bro_4a1a2e_3059899.jpg
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    sugar from fruit is nothing to worry about unless you are just eating crazy amounts. I eat 2-3 fruits a day (usually a banana and whatever is in season) and plenty of vegetables. Meat, eggs, and cheese can all be very helpful in hitting your protein and fat needs so I would not cut them out of my diet.

As for the metabolism bit, our bodies all handle food the same way (minus people with actual disorders), slower vs faster metabolisms just mean a difference in the amount of energy required to run the body. Just make sure you are eating at a caloric decificit and your body will do what it needs with the food you give it.

This. You need to eat what you enjoy. Healthy baked apples or raw apples. All good. It is the quantity that matters. We all record our food in our diary but it is way more important to move your body and burn the calories we eat. Keep moving.
    Patsy
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Cooking food also diminishes the natural life energy,
    I think we'll stop right here .......
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Fruits have natural vitamins and minerals and antioxidants that you don't get from eating processed sugar.

I've also heard it said, "Fruit is nature's way of ensuring you get your fiber."

I like fruit, and feel way better when I poop every day. :-)

Fruit =It's a good thing.

so if I take a multi vitamin with my candy bar is it "good" then?
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to both sides:

Cooking food also diminishes the natural life energy, and destroys much of the natural enzymes (your body can also create enzymes, but can only do so much) in your food that are needed to break down nutrients. Eating raw eliminates this problem.

Sorry but from a scientific perspective, this is new-age BS. Your body makes ALL the proper enzymes to digest the food you eat (unless you have a specific defect in production such as lactose intolerance). Fruit, BTW does have sugar, which some say is bad--but it is in the form of fructose, which first must be broken down to monosacarides before it can be metabolized. So in that respect, it takes longer for your body to use the sugar in fruit than it does in table sugar. What is more, fruit is high in fiber, which slows its digestion and keeps you full longer. So fruit is plenty good for you--has lots of vitamins, minerals and antioxidents too--just as veggies do! Pick an assortment of colors for maximum nutrition.
  • ndj1979
    Options

AND how sugar from fruit is better than sugar from non-natural sources!

AND GO!
    Because it comes as part of a complete package. Fruit comes with fiber, water, micro-nutrients, anti-oxidants, phyto-chemicals, amino acids.

Sugar is just one micro-nutrient removed from a plant, and then eaten in concentrations not found in the whole foods we have evolved eating.

ehh???? some "natural" fruits have as much sugar as a candy bar...so the concentrations would be the same in some...

I believe one apple has about the same amount of sugar as one Milano cookie...
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Theres loads of sugar in fruit if you blend them to make smoothies! Otherwise its just natural sugar which is better for you than normal sugar :(

Curious how there's more sugar if fruit is blended?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Theres loads of sugar in fruit if you blend them to make smoothies! Otherwise its just natural sugar which is better for you than normal sugar :(

Curious how there's more sugar if fruit is blended?

the blending process adds up to ten grams of sugar per serving..true story.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    These threads always bring out the weirdos....

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

AND how sugar from fruit is better than sugar from non-natural sources!

AND GO!
    Because it comes as part of a complete package. Fruit comes with fiber, water, micro-nutrients, anti-oxidants, phyto-chemicals, amino acids.

Sugar is just one micro-nutrient removed from a plant, and then eaten in concentrations not found in the whole foods we have evolved eating.

But you didn't explain how the sugar itself is different. You only pointed out the difference between a peice of fruit and a candy bar.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fruits have natural vitamins and minerals and antioxidants that you don't get from eating processed sugar.

I've also heard it said, "Fruit is nature's way of ensuring you get your fiber."

I like fruit, and feel way better when I poop every day. :-)

Fruit =It's a good thing.

so if I take a multi vitamin with my candy bar is it "good" then?
    So you want to add isolated micro-nutrients to your isolated macro-nutrient food, and think that it is a complete food? No, it would still be lacking vital phyto-chemicals, anti-oxidants, fiber, water, etc. Still not a complete food.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    It's bad only in excess. Moderation in all things. And by the way, cooking food is not a cardinal sin. :tongue:

This. You should try to limit your ADDED sugar to 36g/day... but you also want to keep an eye on natural sugar as well... because although it is easier for your body to process it can still be turned into fat if you're body isn't using all the sugar it takes in.

I try to keep all sugar intake around 60g/day or less.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
    Well there is an association with vegetarians and mental illness
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22676203
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Pre-Med - Future PA

Medical Assistant

Nutritionist

UPDATE: Every person that eats this diet will die. That is all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Well there is an association with vegetarians and mental illness
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22676203

Hey! :angry:

:tongue: