Date at the gym...never again

Options
2»

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I have know this guy for a little while and we have went out a few times like to the movies and out to eat.

Worst experience ever. What a waste.

So, for clarification, you liked the guy enough to go out a few times with him prior to this epic disaster of a gym date. Are you still interested in the guy? Or did his inability to lift kill that for you? If you're still interested, you could think about trying to help and/or encourage him to get help learning how to lift - since he clearly needs it - rather than calling it a waste. We all start somewhere. If you aren't interested anymore, then that's a different story.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I occasionally go to the gym with my husband. We do our own thing and do not work out together.

I did have a male lifting partner for a while. Nerdy kid from grad school. He started lifted less than me but then passed me up supper quick. Damn testosterone.

If you like the dude, why don't you send your friend there a link to Strong Lifts and tell him you want to do it together? He'll get stronger than you quick.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I had a gym date once. We started off working together, then moved on to do our own thing. Eventually we both ended up on the mat doing crunches and planks. Then we ended up back at his place for a post workout. I don't think a gym date could ever be as good as that one was.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    ok...you haven't said one thing about whether you liked him or not...this wasn't your first date with him so I'm assuming you DID like him enough to keep dating him....

if you like him...you have an opportunity to teach him...to show him...

he was out classed by your efforts and out done and he wasn't embarrassed enough that he pretended it didn't happen...

no....no...he came back and said he had a great time and would like to do it again....

if you like the guy outside of this experience...then this is AWESOME...

why, as women, do we ALWAYS have to assume that the men are the gym rats, the big lifters, the experienced ones to our "newbieness"

he wants to impress you, but it sounds like you can impress him....I would see this as a golden opportunity.

when I was dating my SO, about a month in, he asked if we could work out together. I was extremely nervous and shy, but I did it....now it's our best times together. We now live together and lift 3 -4 days a week in our home gym, we walk, we are active and we share in the activity....

I'm unsure why this is so horrible...the opportunity here is just gold...it's pure gold in my mind.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    50% of the members at this gym have reported favorable dating experiences and would repeat. The other 50 are called "bi+ches".
    prison-monsters.jpg
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You complain too much. No, seriously............Dude was probably nervous that if things didn't go well, you might go blab on the internet about how horrible he is. Maybe cut him some slack?
  • HuggyBeahr
    HuggyBeahr Posts: 259
    Options
    I asked what he was doing he said "This is how you get strong legs"..I look down at his legs and they are the smallest little sticks i have ever seen.

HAHAHA I went somewhere else with this one .

All in all, GYM dates are a terrible Idea at least for me. I don't talk to anyone,at all. Sometimes I switch my phone to airplane mode so I wont get interrupted. I feel I lose intensity if I speak with someone while lifting.
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    ok...you haven't said one thing about whether you liked him or not...this wasn't your first date with him so I'm assuming you DID like him enough to keep dating him....

he was out classed by your efforts and out done and he wasn't embarrassed enough that he pretended it didn't happen...

no....no...he came back and said he had a great time and would like to do it again....

why, as women, do we ALWAYS have to assume that the men are the gym rats, the big lifters, the experienced ones to our "newbieness"

he wants to impress you, but it sounds like you can impress him....I would see this as a golden opportunity.

when I was dating my SO, about a month in, he asked if we could work out together. I was extremely nervous and shy, but I did it....now it's our best times together. We now live together and lift 3 -4 days a week in our home gym, we walk, we are active and we share in the activity....

I'm unsure why this is so horrible...the opportunity here is just gold...it's pure gold in my mind.

I like him as a friend i guess. The reason why i went on dates with him is to see if he would finally open up. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt before this. I dont see it going any further.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    why did you even bother going out with him in the first place? wow. that gym "date" sounds godawful.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I like him as a friend i guess. The reason why i went on dates with him is to see if he would finally open up. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt before this. I dont see it going any further.

Then I hope as a decent human being you will be up front and direct with him. He sounds like a nice guy and deserves a little respect.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Bad idea unless you are both really into fitness. Go to the gym together, do what you do, and then leave together.
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    I would do a gym date but depending on the person I would have different expectations. I would figure out the experience level of the person and go from there. Never done it though.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Made my day :laugh: Tell him you wanna teach him how thing work etc you might end up liking the guy and he might end up being scared of talking/nervous at the end. Maybe it was his first day?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I got really angry with this- then realized I missed the first 'WHY" and then the following punctuation (see kids- punctuation IS important) and totally agree.

just because he is a dude doesn't mean he knows what he is doing.
    Bad idea unless you are both really into fitness. Go to the gym together, do what you do, and then leave together.
    this is my go to plan typically.

Finding a real workout buddy is really hard to do- my workout buddy isnt' my best friend- or my bf- just a guy I get along with.

My BF hates the gym- and my best friend and I- we would just go- spot for bench- do abs then part ways till we were done and leave together.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    considering i don't really want to talk to anyone when i work out, a gym date sounds worse then a movie date
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    A gym date with the right person could be a sensual experience.....small twiggy legs are definitely NOT sensual

2qnoz0g.jpg

:laugh: :laugh:
    Hey - I do what I can to make my twiggy legs sensual. Shaving, parachute pants, whatever.