NOT pregnant

Options

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb: Never assume that someone is with child unless the baby is visibly hanging out of them.

One of my coworkers had a formal complaint opened against him for this.
  • smurdock1991
    smurdock1991 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You should have launched into a performance about your water breaking, contractions, you can feel the dilation (would work best in a skirt), omg it's crowning, and then you give birth to two middle fingers.

^This comment! LOL! :laugh:
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    :blushing:
    there are some people who SERIOUSLY carry all their weight in their belly and forward.

I know a girl like that- and she has told me 3 people have asked her if she was- breaks my heart because she abosolutely looks about 4-5 months along- but I knew better.

you NEVER ask- let them bring it up.

easy for me- babies are gross- I hate talking about them- so I just pretend pregnant people don't exist until they engage me directly- pregnant women creep me out. it's like an alien growing in there.

I'd rather just assume you were fat- that's easier and safer!

Sorry OP- that's so rude- glad you followed up with an email- but I like the "seriously you haven't retired yet!!!" comment- that would have been good ;)
    You could have answer the OP's comments without adding your own feelings about babies or pregnant woman. Your references about babies and expectant mothers are more out of place, rude and gross that what the coworker said to the OP.
    pretty sure you're far too sensitive for the internet
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    there are some people who SERIOUSLY carry all their weight in their belly and forward.

I know a girl like that- and she has told me 3 people have asked her if she was- breaks my heart because she abosolutely looks about 4-5 months along- but I knew better.

easy for me- babies are gross- I hate talking about them- so I just pretend pregnant people don't exist until they engage me directly- pregnant women creep me out. it's like an alien growing in there.

Sorry OP- that's so rude- glad you followed up with an email- but I like the "seriously you haven't retired yet!!!" comment- that would have been good ;)

No no, it IS an alien growing in there. :laugh:

HAH- we come to the conclusion they are more like parasites than aliens- but I can't help but thinking of aliens when the thing explodes out of his chest in the movie. I go through like mini movies in my head when I have to talk to about it- it makes me chuckle a little bit
    heh- i giggled.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    THIS is why I never ever ever comment on pregnant people. Ever. I don't ask anyone how far along they are, or say congratulations. More often than not the person is just fat. I find older people making this faux pas more often than younger...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No no, it IS an alien growing in there. :laugh:

HAH- we come to the conclusion they are more like parasites than aliens- but I can't help but thinking of aliens when the thing explodes out of his chest in the movie. I go through like mini movies in my head when I have to talk to about it- it makes me chuckle a little bit
    heh- i giggled.

I'm pretty sure that someone who wrote one of those books about pregnancy called them a parasite. But if you saw one of my early ultrsound pics, it definitely looked like an alien. I'll spare the photo.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    could have- but it explains why it's easy for me to avoid them- and I would highly disagree- it's not nearly as offensive as walking up to someone and saying "are you pregnant" or walking up to someone and saying "I hate pregnant people"

. I didn't address anyone in particular. i'ts a generic feeling. I wasn't attacking anyone.

not everyone has to love or even like the whole baby process and I don't have to be.

Ya know, 6 months ago this would have bothered me. But now I'm pregnant and it creeps one of my co-workers/friends out. He says the same thing about there being an alien in there! So I just find it funny because he's still a good friend. And I use it to torment him "oh look, I can see her trying to push out" LOL. But that's because I'm evil.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

You could have answer the OP's comments without adding your own feelings about babies or pregnant woman. Your references about babies and expectant mothers are more out of place, rude and gross that what the coworker said to the OP.

As a woman that has been pregnant and given birth, I agree with her. Even the birthing process is like a scene from a horror movie.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I was a size 2-4 last time I was asked that question.....you can make sure I won't be wearing that dress again
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

As a woman that has been pregnant and given birth, I agree with her. Even the birthing process is like a scene from a horror movie.

I'm not offended by the comment (I am currently pregnant) but I sort of agreed with the other poster point a bit too. It was a little wtf, but then again, par for the course.

caution - baby belly in avatar

<---
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

O.o Woooooow.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was the type who always had to tell people I was pregnant because I knew in reality they thought I was just getting fatter since I am already a bigger girl to begin with. I have small babies. Full term I just had a bump the size of a normal 4 month along person. I went and paid my rent to the landlord every month through my entire pregnancy and when I walked in with the baby after he was born, she asked me who he belonged to. It sucks both ways. People who do know always asking you if something is wrong? Have the doctors said anything? etc. The topic just needs to be avoided at all cause.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I can't believe there are people in this day and age who still don't know that it's rude to ask. I once had a dry cleaner (an older woman) ask me...it was really odd because I was covered up in a heavy parka. A friend of mine has reproductive issues (fibroids, I think) that cause her stomach to protrude...she likely can't even have children and she's told me several people have commented on her looking pregnant. :(
  • Kate
    Kate Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A woman I saw every Sunday, in fact she was a greeter at the door to the church sanctuary, did not know I was pregnant until I showed up with the baby. And this is not because I was one of those women "didn't show"....:(
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that someone who wrote one of those books about pregnancy called them a parasite. But if you saw one of my early ultrsound pics, it definitely looked like an alien. I'll spare the photo.
    well to be honest- they behave pretty much like a parasite does- living off another human being. shrug.

thank you for sparing photo-although ultra sounds- it's weird to me- but not really overly weird- in person is much weirder for some reason.... LOL- I have low squeamish tolerance for such things.
    probably wouldn't have seen it either way. work blockages and such. SAVED by the firewalls LMAO
    Ya know, 6 months ago this would have bothered me. But now I'm pregnant and it creeps one of my co-workers/friends out. He says the same thing about there being an alien in there! So I just find it funny because he's still a good friend. And I use it to torment him "oh look, I can see her trying to push out" LOL. But that's because I'm evil.

I MAY have actually run away had you done that to me- like a small child if their parents talking about kissing LMAO. Seriously- i'ts not hing personal when I said that- it just REALLY skeeves me out!!!
    I can't believe there are people in this day and age who still don't know that it's rude to ask. I once had a dry cleaner (an older woman) ask me...it was really odd because I was covered up in a heavy parka. A friend of mine has reproductive issues (fibroids, I think) that cause her stomach to protrude...she likely can't even have children and she's told me several people have commented on her looking pregnant. :(
    I have a friend with a similar issue (she's trying to have plan surgery soon) and I'm honestly surprised she hasn't mentioned more comments like this- she's plump- and has some weird stomach/protrusion issues as well. Actually mostly makes me sad for her- because I know it makes her life miserable- so to have THAT question on top of it. shudder.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You should have launched into a performance about your water breaking, contractions, you can feel the dilation (would work best in a skirt), omg it's crowning, and then you give birth to two middle fingers.

This. This is priceless!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

+2
  • justpeachy99
    Options
    Oh my goodness.. I cannot imagine how you felt. Today I looked in the mirror and realized I looked pregnant. I got to get on the band wagon myself.

You can add me if you want to :)
  • dirtmagnets
    dirtmagnets Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was the type who always had to tell people I was pregnant because I knew in reality they thought I was just getting fatter since I am already a bigger girl to begin with. I have small babies. Full term I just had a bump the size of a normal 4 month along person. I went and paid my rent to the landlord every month through my entire pregnancy and when I walked in with the baby after he was born, she asked me who he belonged to. It sucks both ways. People who do know always asking you if something is wrong? Have the doctors said anything? etc. The topic just needs to be avoided at all cause.

Avoid at all costs - I agree. I've had the comments when not pregnant before, too, and it's so embarrassing. On the flip side, the lady I worked out with most often at my old fencing club had no idea that I was pregnant with my fourth until I was more than 6 months along...and then freaked out about fencing with me, worried about hurting him, even though I reassured her repeatedly that my midwife and her supervising doctor were both fine with me continuing to fence as long as I was comfortable. (I gave in and quit about a month later, when I suddenly couldn't zip my jacket.) Then came all the comments about looking too small and wondering if there was something wrong, which made me crazy every throughout all four pregnancies - I've carried fairly "small" with all of my kids somehow, even though this one was nearly 10 pounds at birth.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    sooo many people have asked me if i was. one woman went on and on while i was at my friends baby shower about how nice it was i was pg at the same time as my friend blah blah. i had just had my tubes tied like 4 days before that. then she tried to pass it off as swelling from surgery. yeah, ok. i have 2 bandaids as my "surgical dressing" lol.
    the most recent time was when i took my 2 year old for his well visit and the dr asked me when i was due. i tell him i wasnt pg and he tells me i should wear better clothes (to be fair the shirt does make me look pg) i wish i had held out my hand for his credit card. if i had MONEY for better clothes i WOULD HAVE THEM.

i also have a friend who never showed at all (she is very big) and we went out shopping together when we were both about 8 months along (she had her baby on the 8th, i had mine on the 9th which was her birthday) and i was getting all sorts of comments and congrats and nobody said a word to her. i felt so bad, i know that hurt her. we avoided shopping after that. she ended up having a 4 pound baby, and mine was 10 pounds.