Plant Based Diet

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    OP - does that diet seem sustainable for you? It doesn't sound like it to me.
    If it isn't sustainable, why bother worrying about it?
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Basically, plants are more nutritious. Many people prefer a palio diet. But it is scientifically proven that veg diet is very good and healthy.
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    I have been transitioning to a mostly raw vegan diet for a long time, but not because I want to. I have health issues and have no choice anymore. I've lost 55 pounds since last June and feel the best I've felt in a long time. I also just finished the Couch25K program last week.

I've never been a big meat eater, but I do think the human species has survived as long as it has because we are omnivores. I think eating at either extreme (all vegetables or all proteins) for long periods of time is a bad idea (unless you're like me and have no choice). Moderation is the key.

If you eat meat, I think it's important to try and stick to free range eggs and grass fed meats. There are huge quality advantages there. Plus there's the whole ethical issue of how poorly animals are treated on mass agrifarms.

Our family tries to buy only local, humanely raised meats. We've noticed a huge difference in quality and taste.
  • Dan6000istheman
    Dan6000istheman Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Definitely think moderation of anything is key.

Bulls Eye!!!
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I just finish watching ,"Forks over Knives" and I must say , lots of interesting things on there, especially the part on Protein!! All meat protein are bad for you! Even chicken and turkey , according to the show. My question is,are there anybody on here on this Plant base diet? And how did you lean off all meat ?

lolz…

thats all I got…

humans have been eating meat protein for thousands of years….

more like millions of years....

only if you believe all the scientific proof of evolution....

FIFY

Yup. I'm all for religious freedom but saying "I don't believe in evolution" is similar to saying "I don't believe the earth revolves around the sun".
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just finish watching ,"Forks over Knives" and I must say , lots of interesting things on there, especially the part on Protein!! All meat protein are bad for you! Even chicken and turkey , according to the show. My question is,are there anybody on here on this Plant base diet? And how did you lean off all meat ?

You can't just blatantly believe every television show you see. Humans have been consuming meat protein since they first appeared on Earth. If you want proof that we are supposed to be carnivores, just look at our teeth. They are designed for biting, tearing, and chewing meat as well as plants.

Oh I dont believe every show I watch lol. Thats why I ask if anybody is eating like this, just wanted some feedback ! But some stuff you do see is a bit scary to what they do too animals on farms and stuff!!

Just a matter of researching where you buy your meat. Although the same can be said for eggs, dairy products, etc.

And is why I never eat veal. I grew up with a friend who's parents raised calves for veal. I'll never eat it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

lolz…

thats all I got…

only if you're an evolutionist....

lol at religious zealotry
  • cliffdc
    cliffdc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you don't know exactly what the following sentence means, then don't think you can read "science." A lethal dose of the truth.

From the "science" link posted above: "There was also a statistically significant interaction between smoking and processed meat consumption (P-interaction 0.01), with mortality being significantly increased among former (HR = 1.68, 95% CI 1.29 to 2.18) and current smokers (HR = 1.47, 95% CI 1.18 to 1.83), but there was no association among never smokers (HR = 1.24, 95% CI 0.89 to 1.72)."

Who was in this study? Are they similar enough to you for the results to generalize?

What is the source of their data? Is this study cross-sectional or longitudinal? Why did they choose the statistical procedures that they used? Why wouldn't Pearson's correlation coefficient been appropriate?

If this study had similar reliability and validity as other studies on the same topic, what reasonable conclusions can you draw about 30 - 50 year olds in the US? What reasonable conclusions can you draw about YOUR lifestyle? What will you teach your children base don this study, if anything?

What pressing questions do you have after reading this study?

All of those credited "authors" ..what's their deal?

Listen folks, I have published data in a peer-reviewed journal (2nd author) and dumb people have it tough. An informed citizenry is the ONLY resource for this age of mis-information.

WATCH Forks over knives - then watch the next 6 movies recommended by Netflix. Then look in the mirror.

THEN USE YOUR CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS.
  • jilliangetsit
    jilliangetsit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey man. Don't mind all of the smug and sarcastic idiots who are replying to your thread. Once people are stuck in their ways...well...let them figure it out. I see that you're asking an honest question and are interested in an honest answer. I'll take the science away from it because I want to base my reply off of my personal experince as opposed to this study or that study (which if you read in to it...plant based diet is more favorable for our health..) I'm vegetarian and I started as a "flexitarian" - meaning you can eat meat if you like, in moderation. I still eat eggs and dairy - as much as I want. If you have a tough time transitioning - try the flexitarian thing first. Make Monday, Weds, Friday "no meat" days. I can tell you, that TOFU is a fantastic soy based source of protein. You can also get plant based protein powders, eat legumes, eggs, dairy, etc for protein. I LIFT :) HEAVY and have reduced my body fat percentage and accomplished nice gains as a vegetarian. It's a lifestyle choice and you can make it work. It IS HEALTHY when you mind your macros and make sure that you care getting adequate nutrition and vitamins etc. Iron and B-12 you may want to supplement in to your diet if you need to. The most important advice I can give regarding a vegetarian diet would be. Eliminate as much processed food as possible! Pizza...for example is loaded with bread, cheese, pasta sauce, and you can have it topped with veggies. That is technically a vegetarian pizza - doesn't make it healthy. Microwave burritos, lean pockets, canned soups etc... high sodium/processed in general. no bueno. Try and encorporate as much fresh produce in to your diet as possible and you will very quickly feel some amazing detoxifying effects in your body. If you have questions or need help etc. Don't be a stranger :)
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Hey man. Don't mind all of the smug and sarcastic idiots who are replying to your thread. Once people are stuck in their ways...well...let them figure it out. I see that you're asking an honest question and are interested in an honest answer. I'll take the science away from it because I want to base my reply off of my personal experince as opposed to this study or that study (which if you read in to it...plant based diet is more favorable for our health..) I'm vegetarian and I started as a "flexitarian" - meaning you can eat meat if you like, in moderation. I still eat eggs and dairy - as much as I want. If you have a tough time transitioning - try the flexitarian thing first. Make Monday, Weds, Friday "no meat" days. I can tell you, that TOFU is a fantastic soy based source of protein. You can also get plant based protein powders, eat legumes, eggs, dairy, etc for protein. I LIFT :) HEAVY and have reduced my body fat percentage and accomplished nice gains as a vegetarian. It's a lifestyle choice and you can make it work. It IS HEALTHY when you mind your macros and make sure that you care getting adequate nutrition and vitamins etc. Iron and B-12 you may want to supplement in to your diet if you need to. The most important advice I can give regarding a vegetarian diet would be. Eliminate as much processed food as possible! Pizza...for example is loaded with bread, cheese, pasta sauce, and you can have it topped with veggies. That is technically a vegetarian pizza - doesn't make it healthy. Microwave burritos, lean pockets, canned soups etc... high sodium/processed in general. no bueno. Try and encorporate as much fresh produce in to your diet as possible and you will very quickly feel some amazing detoxifying effects in your body. If you have questions or need help etc. Don't be a stranger :)

If you eat eggs then you are not a vegetarian.
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    USE YOUR CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS.

THIS ^^^

I struggle to put a lot of faith in random studies because studies change ALL THE TIME.
  • apeacefulway
    Options

I believe it's called lacto-ovo vegetarianism.
  • Dan6000istheman
    Dan6000istheman Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Thank You!!
  • mccindy72
    Options

Call it what you want, I call it "I don't eat most animals, but I eat baby chickens".
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Please tell me what these programmes are called that are on Netflix as I have that, but really could do with some help, only just joined My Fitness Pal

There are lots of documentaries on Netflix regarding this issue. "Food, Inc," "Forks Over Knives," "Food Matters." Take each with a grain of salt though and realize that they are also leaving important facts out.

Personally, I have been focusing on eating clean. That means I cut out white flour, white sugar, and processed foods. I try to buy organic when possible and I look for local meat, dairy and fruits/vegatables. It involves more cooking but I feel good knowing what is in my food. I'm not perfect in this but I have cut out about 90% of the sugar and processed foods that I used to consume.
    Here you go:

participation.jpg
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Please tell me what these programmes are called that are on Netflix as I have that, but really could do with some help, only just joined My Fitness Pal

There are lots of documentaries on Netflix regarding this issue. "Food, Inc," "Forks Over Knives," "Food Matters." Take each with a grain of salt though and realize that they are also leaving important facts out.

Personally, I have been focusing on eating clean. That means I cut out white flour, white sugar, and processed foods. I try to buy organic when possible and I look for local meat, dairy and fruits/vegatables. It involves more cooking but I feel good knowing what is in my food. I'm not perfect in this but I have cut out about 90% of the sugar and processed foods that I used to consume.
    Here you go:

participation.jpg

I'm not really sure what that means. (I'm blonde so I say that a lot).
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Call it what you want, I call it "I don't eat most animals, but I eat baby chickens".
    Actually its not a baby chicken, its an unfertilized egg so basically the hens * ahem* period/ovulation.It has never been alive. If it was a baby chicken it would look like this: http://www.mrstyleking.com/best-most-delicious-most-bizarre-filipino-food-balut/
  • mccindy72
    Options

Actually its not a baby chicken, its an unfertilized egg so basically the hens * ahem* period/ovulation.It has never been alive. If it was a baby chicken it would look like this: http://www.mrstyleking.com/best-most-delicious-most-bizarre-filipino-food-balut/

Considering that most vegetarians don't eat meat because they want to avoid eating an animal that was treated cruelly and then killed for consumption, it is ironic that anyone who wants to be a vegetarian would choose to consume either dairy or eggs, since those are two of the cruelest ways animal products are harvested over a long period of time.

organi1.jpg

slide-06.jpg
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes eating eggs and dairy are part of a bigger picture in relation to animal welfare and farming methods etc I think if you are going to be a vegetarian on ethical grounds you may as well go vegan.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

lolz…

thats all I got…

only if you're an evolutionist....

No, humans have eaten meat for millions of years whether creationists choose to believe that or not. Creationists choosing to not believe in evolution doesn't mean evolution didn't happen.

I would *LOVE* to know what creation myths Homo erectus people had though....