Anyone taking Adipex (Phentermine)?

Options

Replies

• tracip96
    tracip96 Posts: 5
    Options
    Just started phentermine yesterday along with hcg drops......my weightngainnconfession, I now realize, never drank water, ever I am40, only soda sweet tea, only ate once a day x's 20 yrs......I always had a fast paced job no problems. Had my son 2 yrs ago and became stay at home mom, same diet soda and one meal a day, of course gained 25 lbs but work out 3 4 hrs a day, no weight loss.. frustrated went to dr, phentermine and hcg drops no diet but increase eating 80g protein a day and no caffeine, and no exercise. I have eaten more...sucks fill full, but still exercise....elelliptical and abs, lost 6 lbs in 2 days...I have been atb152 for 2 yrs and no wt loss like this. Phentermine so much energy, cant help but work out. Sure this may be water wt......
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone's doctor has given them Phendimetrazine to take along with the Phentermine? My doctor mentioned she may give it to me next time I come in if the Phen isn't working that well for me anymore.
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I took the drug called Fen-phen about 10 years ago... Yes I lost about 20-30 lbs in 6 months. I also got a damaged heart valve.
    That's why the combination was taken off the market. Phentermine is the non-dangerous half.
    You can lose weight without taking drugs if you have the perserverance to do it.
    Not everyone can. It's not just a matter of willpower, and it's not helpful (or nice) to say that. Sort of like telling someone who's depressed to just get over it & be happy.

Especially people who have gone up & down several times have messed up their metabolism so it's trying to maintain the body at the higher weight, making the person very hungry when they're eating at a healthy calorie level.
    Controlling that hunger can let the person continue to eat healthy.

Bump:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • fayterrio
    Options
    My husband has just started on this. We recently changed to a low carb high fat lifestyle. Has anyone else used this medication with LCHF eating? This is a lifestyle change for us. We do not count calories as calorie restriction in itself will backfire in the long run. That is why most 'diets' fail. I think my husband is addicted to carbs, so I'm hoping this med will help get him started with weight loss & over the carb addiction a little easier.
  • marckromano
    Options
    Phentermine in my opinin is very bad for the body, as all the diet pills you also need to do some exercises and change your diet if you want to have very good benefits and lose your weight. A person can lose weight just changing your diet and doing some fitness, we don't have to poison our body with drugs.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Mac, the name of this thread is

"Anyone taking Adipex?"

Not "What do you think of Adipex"
    Not "How do you feel about diet pills?"
    Not "Please tell me about how evil diet aids are."

Oh and by the way... thanks for letting us know that "A person can lose weight just changing your diet and doing some fitness". Whoulda thunk it?
    Learn something every day.:tongue:
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My husband has just started on this. We recently changed to a low carb high fat lifestyle. Has anyone else used this medication with LCHF eating? This is a lifestyle change for us. We do not count calories as calorie restriction in itself will backfire in the long run. That is why most 'diets' fail. I think my husband is addicted to carbs, so I'm hoping this med will help get him started with weight loss & over the carb addiction a little easier.

I've been on phentermine for about 6 weeks and have been doing low carb and low to moderate fat, at my doctor's suggestion. It's working well for me. I feel great and I'm losing well.
  • fayterrio
    Options
    idojpdx, Thanks for your reply. I have been doing extensive research on low carb eating. You should never eat low carb AND low fat. You need something to replace the carb calories with. Our bodies function best with calories coming from fat, protein & very little carbs, in that order. (There are studies on this & M.D.'s that agree.) Our society & government are stuck on the low fat, no cholesterol way of eating. We have been duped on this for more than 30 years.
  • anglynn935
    Options
    Hi. I am new to postings and new to adipex. I started two weeks ago and have only lost 4 pounds which was a disappointment as I expected more. I am afraid I'm eating too little. Can someone help me figure out how to eat the calories I am supposed to eat when I'm not hungry AT ALL. I am supposed to eat 1200 cal a day per my dr. I'm struggling and forcing myself to eat 1000 a day I'm just not hungry from the adipex.
    I'm afraid eating too little is stalling my loss. How do you eat all the calories when your not hungry? Any suggestions please?
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Hi Lynn, Where you just don't feel like eating doesn't last that long for me. Usually a few days to a week. Don't worry about eating too little, you will soon be wanting to eat more. Enjoy it while it lasts!

You lost two pounds a week. That's fantastic! I would imagine you don't have a lot of weight to lose? I had about 30 pounds to lose, and I am losing 1 pound a week, sometimes 2.

Don't worry, you are doing great.
    June
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i'M just curious how many of the happy with adipex phentermine people in here actually tried weight loss thru calorie counting first?

also i'm curious why you are on a cal counting site if you have a pill that is responsible for your weight loss? if said pill makes it so hard to eat even 1,000 cals does that not negate the need for cal counting.

just curious. not a meanie.
  • bm318
    bm318 Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far!

I am currently on Phen too. I have been taking in since January 2011. It really helped shed pounds in the beginning without really exercising or dieting too much. I gained back a few pounds when I stopped but now I'm back on it. I find that when I do cardio, sometimes my heartrate gets to an unhealthy level and have to stop. It is something I do not plan to continue taking for long (especially since being advised against it for so long). It is great that you are getting into clean eating and exercise as that is most important! Some expect to lose weight and keep it off from the pill alone but we still have to put in the work as well, especially to keep that weight off! :)

Good luck!
  • idojpdx
    Options
    i'M just curious how many of the happy with adipex phentermine people in here actually tried weight loss thru calorie counting first?

also i'm curious why you are on a cal counting site if you have a pill that is responsible for your weight loss? if said pill makes it so hard to eat even 1,000 cals does that not negate the need for cal counting.

just curious. not a meanie.

I have tried weight loss through calorie counting more times than I can count.

Phentermine doesn't replace the need for smart food choices and portion control. You still need to log what you put in your mouth and how many calories you are burning through exercise because at some point you won't be on the medication and you'll need to have turned those behaviors into habit. In my case, I'm on a physician-supervised plan, and I need to track carbs closely. These are the reasons why I am "on a calorie counting site."

Phentermine is a tool for people who cannot control their appetite to get on the right track. After a lifetime of unsuccessful attempts to lose and maintain through Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, and plain old calorie counting, 20 years ago I lost 60 pounds with phentermine, and I maintained that loss for 12 years through the habits I learned while the pill gave me some control over my impulses. I found that once I modified my habits, lost weight, and continued exercising, my appetite wasn't as much of an issue. It had been somehow reset. Once I got sloppy again about counting calories and activity levels, much of it came back, and I found that my appetite needed to be beaten down again so that I could get back on track.
  • idojpdx
    Options
    Hi. I am new to postings and new to adipex. I started two weeks ago and have only lost 4 pounds which was a disappointment as I expected more. I am afraid I'm eating too little. Can someone help me figure out how to eat the calories I am supposed to eat when I'm not hungry AT ALL. I am supposed to eat 1200 cal a day per my dr. I'm struggling and forcing myself to eat 1000 a day I'm just not hungry from the adipex.
    I'm afraid eating too little is stalling my loss. How do you eat all the calories when your not hungry? Any suggestions please?

I agree, you will feel hungrier after the first couple of weeks, although after seven weeks most days I still have trouble getting all my calories in, and usually net around 1,000 a day after exercise (I'm aiming for 1,200). I lost 10 pounds the first two weeks, but of course most of that is water weight, and I have slowed to an average of 2 lbs. a week since. As Junebuggyz said, the less you have to lose, the slower it will go. I also think that it goes much slower if you have frequently yo-yo dieted. I'm on a low-carb diet, and I lose faster if I stick to it religiously. You might try tracking your carbs in the food diary here and keeping them somewhere between 20 and 30 per day to see if that makes a difference.

My physician suggested that when I get stuck on a plateau I should wait until around noon to eat my first meal and not eat after about 7 p.m., but still take in my normal 1200 calories that day, giving the body more time to burn stored fat. I've tried it a couple of times, for a day or two at a time, and it really does work when your weight loss needs a little nudge. Our bodies get used to routine, and sometimes shocking them a bit will jumpstart the process.

Good luck to you!
  • anglynn935
    Options
    No actually I DO have a lot to lose. I need to lose 100 pounds. I am 5'3 with a starting weight of 260.
    I have never lost weight in my life I have only ever gained. No matter what I have tried in life. So my doctor said time to try a helping hand start like adipex, as she had sever successful patients with it. And yes I am on a cal counting site to make sure I'm eating right. I used to eat a lot more cals than I ever even realized.
    Hopefully things will speed up some for me. I go to Curves 4 mornings a week and completely cut out all my coke and switched to tons of water. I feel I've done good I have not even had a cheat moment or any junk food. Which is hard with kids in the house! Just trying to maintain my 1200 cals a day without being hungry. From what I read it will start to not work as well and your all right I am sure I'll be hungry again soon! I will weigh again next week Thanks everyone :)
  • idojpdx
    Options
    No actually I DO have a lot to lose. I need to lose 100 pounds. I am 5'3 with a starting weight of 260.
    I have never lost weight in my life I have only ever gained. No matter what I have tried in life. So my doctor said time to try a helping hand start like adipex, as she had sever successful patients with it. And yes I am on a cal counting site to make sure I'm eating right. I used to eat a lot more cals than I ever even realized.
    Hopefully things will speed up some for me. I go to Curves 4 mornings a week and completely cut out all my coke and switched to tons of water. I feel I've done good I have not even had a cheat moment or any junk food. Which is hard with kids in the house! Just trying to maintain my 1200 cals a day without being hungry. From what I read it will start to not work as well and your all right I am sure I'll be hungry again soon! I will weigh again next week Thanks everyone :)

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I'm sure it will start coming off soon.

I used to do Curves, too. It's a nice workout and easy to stick to because it takes so little time. I had to quit because they had very limited hours and they weren't fitting into my schedule anymore. I would love to go back at some point.
  • anglynn935
    Options
    Their hours are a big problem. I had to rearrange some scheduling to get there but I do love it. All the women just chit chat while going around the machines so time flys. You should try and get back :)
  • TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This ... yep I gained it back and then some. The best way is to do what your doing and if you do decide to use it make sure your doctor monitors you and you are not on it for very long (it can weaken the heart muscles if prolonged use)
  • GingerPeachLass
    GingerPeachLass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am taking Phentermine as well. I take one in the morning and I stick to a 1200 cal plan. I started off walking and have signed up for couch to 5K (my first 5K will be June 21) and I also lift weights. I MAKE time every day because this is what I will be doing for the rest of my life. So much so that I invested in a home gym. Best investment I ever made! I won't go to a gym, but having this piece of equipment on my patio and walking by it every day, I feel like I have spent the money on it (197.00) I better use it! I spend at least 30 minutes a day doing reps on it, and most days I spend 30 minutes in the morning and go back after everyone is asleep and do another hour. I could tell a huge difference after just 4 weeks!

I walk/jog/run now. I joined couch to 5K and keep track of my walking on their website. It has become an addiction for me! I feel really weird when I miss my morning walk. On most days I walk for 30 minutes in the morning and run for 60 minutes when I come home.

I no longer use my children, or household duties as an excuse. However, I have it very lucky and I know this. I have a very supportive husband, and my kids are older and can do for themselves. (we have 9 kids, the oldest is 27, and the youngest is 7) My point is, you have to lay down the law and say "I HAVE to do this, either you are with me, or you GET with me!"

After 3 more months on Phentermine, I will let it go. I never intended to use it indefinitely, or long term. I have been working on what I need to do to make life time changes. Phentermine is a great tool, but it is just that, a tool. If used correctly it can do a lot of good.
  • dannibraz
    Options
    Hi!
    I've been on phentermine for almost 2 weeks, and have managed to lose half a stone, which is great for me, as I find it almost impossible to lose any weight at all. Phentermine has taken away my extreme hunger, which has allowed me to control my calories without the compulsion to snack in between. I find myself eating for health instead of eating the junk I usually eat! I'm slowly retraining my eating patterns, and now have the energy to exercise which I have been doing!! I have had no bad side effects to note so far, so very happy about that!

I will update again after my next weigh in with my doctor Thursday. I am very optimistic about the kick start the tablets will give me!:wink: