Why do so many women lift such light weights?

Options

Replies

• scispence
    scispence Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Tendonitis and a rotator cuff injury!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    MORE REPS LESS WEIGHT IS THE KEY FOR FEMALES TO LOSE WEIGHT AND STILL TONE OUT

Is "TONE OUT" like "Zone Out"?
    I zone out a lot.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Based on my gym, many women prefer machines because it allows them to sit there and text instead of lifting anything.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wasn't discussing what was required for heavy or progressive resistance training. I was discussing what is required for weight loss and being "toned" for women.

I suppose "toned" is subjective, so how about I just leave it at one does not need to always keep increasing resistance to be fit and healthy.

you can keep it at whatever you like.

But that doesn't mean you are right ;)
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's... nunya biznass.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yea that annoys me! "I don't want to get bulky. I already have big shoulders, blah blah blah..."

Okay - eat at a deficit and have loose skin and not be tight
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    There are probably a few reasons, some have received bad information that tells them that they will bulk up and get huge if they lift heavy weights. Some are unaware of their own strength. Some may be aware of the benefits, but not really care about them, and be happy to just be thin, not worried much about if they are strong or toned. Some may just be new to strength training and afraid to try the heavier weight for fear of injury.

My last gym workout weights:
    Seated leg extension: 40 pounds
    Seated leg curl: 45 pounds
    Seated Leg Press: 145 pounds
    Wide Grip Pulldown: 40 pounds
    Pec Fly: 30 pounds
    Abductor: 85 pounds

Plus some various bodyweight exercises, ab moves, etc. And 1 1/2 hours of cardio (30 minutes intense and 1 hour moderate).

Now, I feel I can do a lot more. Those weights feel too light for me, and I always do the maximum recommended reps per set, and feel I could do a few more. But that is where my training program has me right now and I'm trying to stay in the recommendations and trust that eventually the process will move me to more challenging levels.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    5''2 and 118/120 here and I've managed to squat 215 lb on my back, only 3 reps but it made me smile (not on the smith machine), dead lift 130 and leg press almost 500lbs, my bench sucks, but 95 isn't making me think I'm lifting light and i am not any where near bulky..
  • mattissy
    mattissy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to be very fit and athletic, I have put weight on and let my fitness go since having children. However, as I was so strong I'm frightened to be seen as weak now and so go for ridiculously heavy wights, I then have a lot of pain and so avoid the gym. So silly, I know. I should just not care what people think and go lighter, I'd soon build it up again.

I sorta like the looks on peoples faces when this overweight middle aged woman trundles past them and them lifts more than they do, lol!:tongue:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Go to the store and open up a copy of SHAPE or Fitness Magazine. That's why women lift tiny weights.

We have a new magazine in Canada for women called STRONG Fitness Magazine. And there is muscle and fitness hers, oxygen, I see one called FitnessRX. Lots of magazines for heavy lifting ladies now.

Yet the women you see in those magazines lift heavy weights to look like that....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wasn't discussing what was required for heavy or progressive resistance training. I was discussing what is required for weight loss and being "toned" for women.

I suppose "toned" is subjective, so how about I just leave it at one does not need to always keep increasing resistance to be fit and healthy.

No, of course not. But I still am.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    There are probably a few reasons, some have received bad information that tells them that they will bulk up and get huge if they lift heavy weights. Some are unaware of their own strength. Some may be aware of the benefits, but not really care about them, and be happy to just be thin, not worried much about if they are strong or toned. Some may just be new to strength training and afraid to try the heavier weight for fear of injury.

My last gym workout weights:
    Seated leg extension: 40 pounds
    Seated leg curl: 45 pounds
    Seated Leg Press: 145 pounds
    Wide Grip Pulldown: 40 pounds
    Pec Fly: 30 pounds
    Abductor: 85 pounds

Plus some various bodyweight exercises, ab moves, etc. And 1 1/2 hours of cardio (30 minutes intense and 1 hour moderate).

Now, I feel I can do a lot more. Those weights feel too light for me, and I always do the maximum recommended reps per set, and feel I could do a few more. But that is where my training program has me right now and I'm trying to stay in the recommendations and trust that eventually the process will move me to more challenging levels.

I'll be honest I'm not even sure what "recommended set" means whose recommending it?

you should be doing the set/rep numbers that get you to your goals- not numbers that someone just said do- the all knowing 3 x 12 set probably being the worst offender.

Honestly those weights aren't that heavy- and if you are saying they aren't heavy- then go heavier!!!

I would also encourage you to start doing some BB research- barbell training is far superior to machines- and you'll get a lot more out of some full depth squats and some dead lifts than the machines.
  • JoRocka
    Options

sigh.
    you do realize toning isn't a real thing right?
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Coupla' things:
    First, "heavy" is a relative term. For some, a 5# db IS heavy. I know, I know - a typical woman's purse probably weighs 5# (or more). I still think it is all relative.

Second, I lift heavy (for me) but definitely lift even heavier when I am working out with my BF since there are certain types of exercises on which he needs to spot me. For example, I do not feel comfortable benching heavy without a spotter, and there are times when nobody is available to do so when I am at the gym in the early AM.

You will probably get a few different perspectives on this (I REALLY hope none of them are women saying they are afraid of bulking up - SO sick of hearing that!), but these are mine. :smile:

Yep. ^ I have a 40 lbs dog and I get winded trying to carry him for more than 10 feet. So yeah, that's "heavy" for me.
  • mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Because lifting heavy things is too much effort and we might accidentally fart... Okay for real, I don't know. That just popped in my head. Personally, I like heavy weights because it makes me feel like the incredible hulk. =)
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Someone said before that heavy is a pretty relative term. I just started lifting around the beginning of February; I started with 5 lb. weights because it was all I could handle. I'm up to 8 now. I'm absolutely not afraid of "lifting heavy" and I know I'm not going to bulk up or whatever, I'm just slowly working my way up to heavier weights.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Because I want to. :)
    My bodyweight is enough for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

sigh.
    you do realize toning isn't a real thing right?

I realize it is a misuse of the word, but I also know that it's a common misusage and understand what was likely meant.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I wish I could lift heavier. I have pretty bad arthritis in several joints and I have to be so very cautious not to blow out a bum knee among other thing plus having rotator cuff surgery last year, the Dr. had me back off and start back with lighter weights again., I have a ways to go to get back to where I was last year. Never thought about the bulk thing, it never made sense to me. ;)
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    They have three times the muscle building hormones than men. If they lift anything moderately heavy they will end up looking like Mr. Olympia contestants. Many have the astonishing ability to gain muscle in a calorie deficit or in a very short period of time.

I thought testosterone was the muscle building hormone? Hence the reason why most women don't get huge...no?

thats's what I thought too!!