Dealing with Gym Jerks? How do you handle it?

Options

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would try talking with them and ask if you can work a set during their rest... BS I know but atleast they get the hint nicely that they need to hurry the f up. I agree with everyone to go with free weights and dumbbells but sometimes people hog up those too.

I should take my own advice though, I still have trouble dealing with this:

c5dfb5fd1c6938d7d3c6d84cab6a5f75.jpg

I just saw this the other day in my gym.

I dealt with this the other day as well. Not only was he curling in the squat rack...he would sit down after 1 set for like 5 minutes and mess with his phone. I wanted to break him.

WOWO back up boys.
    You do realize EVERYONE rests between sets. That's really normal. Lots of people sit down or on stuff between sets.
    I sit down between my sets- so what- I'm not holding any body up- and if I am- they can come ask me how much more I have.

The guy next to me deadlifting pulled 345 for several sets of several reps.... after he finished his deadlift sets- he did his curls. In the squat rack- no one was waiting. I gave him some mild ribbing (he offered the rack to me if I needed it) but we had a fun joke about it and moved on. Seriously- get over it.

OP- you were wrong. Instead of handling it politely- you blew up at them with no prior conversation (least the way I read that)- you should have asked first.

Besides- it's not YOUR equipment- it's the gyms. They have a right to use it to. Either find a way to play nice or get your own gym.

Yeah, I was just about to reply to this.

If you're not in need of the squat rack, why get all bent on how someone else uses the equipment?

And if you do want it to do squats, just nicely ask the person using it how long they will be and let them know you want to do squats. I have never once had anyone refuse this type of request before.

I wouldn't be complaining about it if I wasn't in need of it.

And FYI, I personally have tried all of this... there has been the oddball who doesn't get the hint when you ask how many reps but for the most part, people are cool. How dare I vent about the idea of it on a fitness forum... what was I thinking? :huh:

Eh, you can vent however much you want. Doesn't mean I have to agree with or encourage it. Don't be so sensitive. You weren't clear in your post that you were wanting to use the equipment. You also didn't state that you nicely informed him that you wanted to do some squats and asked how much longer he would be. If you did that, I would agree that the guy is being a doucheknuckle.

As for sitting on the equipment between sets, get a grip.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I would try talking with them and ask if you can work a set during their rest... BS I know but atleast they get the hint nicely that they need to hurry the f up. I agree with everyone to go with free weights and dumbbells but sometimes people hog up those too.

I dealt with this the other day as well. Not only was he curling in the squat rack...he would sit down after 1 set for like 5 minutes and mess with his phone. I wanted to break him.

WOWO back up boys.
    You do realize EVERYONE rests between sets. That's really normal. Lots of people sit down or on stuff between sets.
    I sit down between my sets- so what- I'm not holding any body up- and if I am- they can come ask me how much more I have.

The guy next to me deadlifting pulled 345 for several sets of several reps.... after he finished his deadlift sets- he did his curls. In the squat rack- no one was waiting. I gave him some mild ribbing (he offered the rack to me if I needed it) but we had a fun joke about it and moved on. Seriously- get over it.

OP- you were wrong. Instead of handling it politely- you blew up at them with no prior conversation (least the way I read that)- you should have asked first.

Besides- it's not YOUR equipment- it's the gyms. They have a right to use it to. Either find a way to play nice or get your own gym.

If you're not in need of the squat rack, why get all bent on how someone else uses the equipment?

And if you do want it to do squats, just nicely ask the person using it how long they will be and let them know you want to do squats. I have never once had anyone refuse this type of request before.

And FYI, I personally have tried all of this... there has been the oddball who doesn't get the hint when you ask how many reps but for the most part, people are cool. How dare I vent about the idea of it on a fitness forum... what was I thinking? :huh:

Eh, you can vent however much you want. Doesn't mean I have to agree with or encourage it. Don't be so sensitive. You weren't clear in your post that you were wanting to use the equipment. You also didn't state that you nicely informed him that you wanted to do some squats and asked how much longer he would be. If you did that, I would agree that the guy is being a doucheknuckle.

As for sitting on the equipment between sets, get a grip.

lol@doucheknuckle
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

WOWO back up boys.

I live in New York (what-what!). When I joined "lowbrow" Planet Fitness in Bushwick, I seriously thought I was going to be surrounded by thugs doing nothing.

Surprisingly, everyone seems to get along fine. OK sometimes I see bimbos doing nothing but trying to attract attention but the guys are ok. Sometimes I see a group with all the good dumbbells I need but I move to something else and then go get my goods. I like Planet Fitness and it's only $10.00 a month for my needs. I wan never get the squat rack. I want to try it but it's hard. I may have to go early or late.

I work out among the guys. I am no Jillian Michaels, by any means and I wear big t shirts when I work out but I notice some of them noticing my game. Not my body or anything but what I'm doing. I know I'm doing it right and it makes me proud when people notice. I just mind my biz, do my shiz and get out of dodge.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    As for new exercises, i tend to do several different free weights and machines. This is a small gym and they only have one pair of 30lb weights, 35lb weights, etc. They only have 1 straight bench and 3 adjustable.

A few benches and dumbells are more than enough to get a great workout. In fact, it'll probably be a better workout then you're getting with the machines. You can easily do supersets or circuit training with the benches and dumbells. Those college morons might be doing you a favor by nudging you away from machines.

You could also try exercising before work. I now get up at 5am to hit the gym in the morning b/c I can't do it after work anymore. There are FAR less people at the gym in the morning and the crowd is much more mature.

Same...5 am and the douche canoes are still in bed.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Also please do me a favor and let Manger know that you would be writing the review of this gym everywhere you get a chance at twitter, facbook, yelp .... all the sites where you think most people will read this nonsense.

Sorry for your situation. I think you should leave this gym.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

WOWO back up boys.

Ya, it's a squat rack. You can curl anywhere in the gym. You can't just pick up a bar and start squatting.
    Why use up a highly sought after piece of equipment to do your curls in?

If I had to resort to the leg press or smith machine squat because someone was curling in the squat rack, I'd be upset.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I would make dang sure to get there before they do and hog all the equipment you know they use until the very last minute before you leave. Do this several days in a row and just stare them down LOL But then again, I am a total B*tch like that LMBO

But, from the scenerio you've given above, they weren't even there for the first 20 mins you were doing the elliptical. I know its a pain, but maybe you could do weights first since they're not there yet and by the time you're done, they'll just be getting there and you can switch to elliptical.

Also, as soon as you can get to a gym that has daycare! I joined the YMCA and my kids (4,6,10 yrs) love the daycare and kids club and it's included in membership!
  • jar148
    jar148 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was taught to do cardio AFTER weights because cardio releases the body's natural human growth hormone. If it is already released before weight training, you will not see as much of a difference from weight training bcuz you have limited amounts of HGH in your system. Just what I have been told.
  • Crisann9
    Crisann9 Posts: 6
    Options
    This happens to me.. I'm a female 5'7" and not bulky.. just trying to be lean and fit.
    I have a gym at my work that I use during lunch time.. that's when I do my weight training - but like you said, these muscle guys are always hogging machines. I need to use biceps/tricep and the fly and lat machines are the worst.

I have started just going right up and telling them I need to do a set of 20 and I wait for their set to be done.. then I rudely "work in."
    If I can do it as a female on a male-dominated military base, you can do it too.

I also tell the gym manager and show that it is occurring. They leave their towel on a machine and work on an adjacent machine.
    So I'll go up to that machine, see the towel and tell the gym personnel "someone must have left a dirty towel." Then the towel gets taken to the dirty bin and they're SOL...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Ride behind them on a bicycle while carrying a golf club.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL it's called common courtesy. We all pay for the equipment and use of them. Resting is not sitting ON the squat rack itself for five minutes. Not only disrespectful to people who want to use the equipment in a timely manner but it's also disrespectful to the gym. I don't care if people are that exhausted that they need to rest for five minutes but don't sit on the equipment. The gym I go to also provides olympic bars for curling, deadlifting, stripping.... just kidding about the last one but they are provided for a reason.

Glad you had this amazing experience where someone curling shared with you and laughed with you but in a lot of cases, that doesn't happen. I think you need to "back up" and think about that possibility.

You do not get to tell me how to rest- or anyone else. If I or anyone else want to sit on the barbell while they are resting- fine-I'm going to- as a matter of fact- I do it 3 times a week. If someone is waiting for the equpiment- I move along- I make a mini plan with them and I do my thing- I don't rush- and I may not rest for quiet as long- but I'm not going to cut out resting entirely- you can just wait. I'm very amicably- I'm the first usually to come up with a plan with someone to make sure we can all get a work out in.

As long as no one is waiting and being held up- get your panties unwadded- it's not bothering you or your work out so let it be. If i'ts holding you up- that's a different story- but we are talking two different situations which require two different responses/actions.

And "disrespecting" the gym for sitting down? BAW HA HA HA H HAHA just no.

It means nothing to the gym if people sit down. - disrespecting the gym is throwing plates around- jumping around on equipment like 5 year olds -leaving crap lying around or in the middle of the walk way- spitting on the floors- not throwing paper towels away- sitting down is not disrespecting the gym. It means nothing to the gym- it's just sitting.
  • soospickle
    soospickle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is why I do all my working out at home, or in the park. I'm super awkward in social situations and pretty timid, I found that when I was a member of a gym I would feel so insecure watching all the super strong people pushing all of the weight around. I feel for you.

31670295.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What about changing up your weight training and going to more free-weights and dumbbells? I personally think you will see better results than using a machine.

THIS + 1 i used to experience the same, have a look around the gym, usually you will have different machine that targets the same muscle groups, change up your exercise, you can also use free weights, there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to do your exercise, for example if you cant use the pec fly machine try dumbell flys, or move to your next exercise and comeback when the machine is free. I would suggest find out the free weights version of your exercises as this would have better control in the right FORM and to fix muscle imbalances.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Omg, reading all this is making me appreciate my gym even more. When I joined three years ago they only had four locations but they've expanded to 16 now. I'm fortunate to have a fun atmosphere with plenty of equipment and really nice members. And I'm 100% confident that the staff would resolve any issues quickly. Plus I'm not even stuck in a contract and it's cheap.

Now since you are not this fortunate OP I have seen some great suggestions in here. The ones I like the most are do weights before cardio, address the issue calmly with the owner (citing specific examples), and to move away from machines. As a female I wasn't taught until a couple years ago that machines only work an isolated muscle set. Using free weights uses more muscles and guarantees an overall better workout.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Isn't it bad etiquette to hog machines and goof off in people's way? I'd go to the manager again and if something isn't done demand to get out of the contract. You're following the rules and getting screwed for it, you shouldn't have to pay to not be able to work out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    but like you said, these muscle guys are always hogging machines. I need to use biceps/tricep and the fly and lat machines are the worst.

I have started just going right up and telling them I need to do a set of 20 and I wait for their set to be done.. then I rudely "work in."
    If I can do it as a female on a male-dominated military base, you can do it too.

god- I am sick of hearing about "muscle guys and meat heads" hogging equipment and being dumb and all this other crap. People cry cry cry about body shaming- and you know the people who put in the most work- get *kitten* on the absolute most of all groups of people. Most of them are there to get there workout in- and go home.

GO ASK NICELY TO WORK IN
    GO ASK HOW MANY SETS THEY HAVE TO DO.

You don't have to be rude. Why "RUDELY" work in- that's just so uncalled for and makes for a miserable lifting experience.

Just ask be polite and work it through.

It has nothing to do with you being a female- or not- it's not a frigging gender war.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

WOWO back up boys.

From the original post...
    I tried to ask if I can work in my sets and they always say, 'we are in the middle of this and we will be done when we're done" and given flat looks for interupting their workout. I finally gave up and brought it up with the club manager and the club owner and they say I need to get along with them. I usually get the feeling that they are friends with the club manager so he doesn't say anything to them when they take over the equipment and weights like this.

It wasn't his first encounter...so I can see losing my cool even after bringing it to the attention of the club manager. Other than that I agree with you. If no one is waiting for the squat rack who cares what the guy using it is doing. IF I see someone using the squat rack or a press bench and I need it, I ask..and I work in..very rarely do I end up talking to a douchenozzle (or twatwaffle) that won't let me.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My wife goes in the evening so I'm stuck at home with the kids and can't leave.

It is like anytime fitness but there is only 1 gym of theirs in town at this time. I heard they might build another but i'll hopefully be out of my contract with them by then.

What about working out in the morning? Or you can switch with your wife - maybe she doesn't use the same equipment as the guys you're having problems with? Or you can build a home gym? Trying to give you options here.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It means nothing to the gym if people sit down. - disrespecting the gym is throwing plates around- jumping around on equipment like 5 year olds -leaving crap lying around or in the middle of the walk way- spitting on the floors- not throwing paper towels away- sitting down is not disrespecting the gym. It means nothing to the gym- it's just sitting.

So THIS^^
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread, I have an image of three guys coming into a gym and stacking all the equipment into a corner.

And this.

http://www.catalogs.com/info/bestof/top-10-gym-offenders