I'm "skinny fat" how can i gain muscle but lose fat?

Options
Alright, so I am a 20-year old female. I'm 5'4" and I currently weigh 115(first thing in the morning) I am pretty healthy, and have recently started exercising 4x a week. My goals are to flatten out my belly and build lean muscle. I don't really have any set workouts.

I run for about 15 minutes on the treadmill and alternate working on my upper and lower body on different days. i am trying to build up my strength (im not one of those girls who are terrified to lift weights). I've noticed I have gotten more muscle tone in my arms and legs, but my belly is a WHOLE different srory. I'm what you call "skinny fat". My stomach is very soft and my lower and upper abdomen sticks out a LOT. I have never understood why. Is there anything I can do about this? Workout/diet?

Please help!:/

Replies

• garygivan5
    Options
    Check out Super Hero body members on Facebook. They have the solution you're looking for or www.nerdfitness.com
  • ashnikmac
    ashnikmac Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should check out toneitup.com. They have a nutrition plan and workouts that would likely help you get the results you want. Check them out on instagram- lots of before and after pictures of girls who tightened up and loss weight in their target areas. Good luck!
  • R4z3rsPar4d0x
    R4z3rsPar4d0x Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a guy, I have similar goals as you. Lifting can define areas but nothing is really happening to the stomach.

The advice I've been given and have been trying to use is to limit sugars as it can cause the body to limit fat burning.

Also, I was told the focus to lose the stomach area is:
    DCBA:
    Diet
    Cardio
    Building Muscle
    Abdominal Exercises

You can do it and I definitely will be watching to see the advice. Keep up the great work!
  • alaskamatteson
    alaskamatteson Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We have the exact same stats (except for age) and I would love to hear answers, too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    strength train, with a concentration on barbell exercises.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    As a guy, I have similar goals as you. Lifting can define areas but nothing is really happening to the stomach.

The advice I've been given and have been trying to use is to limit sugars as it can cause the body to limit fat burning.

Also, I was told the focus to lose the stomach area is:
    DCBA:
    Diet
    Cardio
    Building Muscle
    Abdominal Exercises

You can do it and I definitely will be watching to see the advice. Keep up the great work!

diet is key.

cardio can help to keep your calorie deficit, but i know plenty of people that don't do any traditional cardio and have a rocking six pack.

strength training is usually the key for many people to lose body fat and show off the abs.

abdominal exercises will do nothing to lose stomach fat.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts, weighted squats and Swiss ball crunches are my ab moves. Planks for as you can hold the form are also good, though boring. My carpet is only interesting for a couple of seconds.
  • skytoads
    skytoads Posts: 79
    Options
    Look into the Stronglifts program and clean up your diet!
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have the same stats too except for age. My abs are rock hard....under the fat. I need to get rid of the layer of fat, I guess. I'm one of those people who seems to gain all my weight on the stomach. The rest of me is thin (like, my arms and legs are actually bony). Trying to lose a few pounds (like only 3 or 4) to see if that helps, just hoping it all comes off the belly.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Heavy deadlifts are amazing using the stronglifts 5x5 program
  • attacoug
    attacoug Posts: 4
    Options
    This is my issues as well. I carry most of my fat over my stomach. It is possible to build muscle and lose weight, but it's difficult. The research I have seen suggests the following:

1) Keep the protein - you need that to keep the muscle you have.
    2) Watch the carb/fat ratio intake - you need to "trick" your body into going for the stored fat. There's a lot of good material out there that describes how to do this. Example: Low Carbs 4 Days of the Week (Higher Fat), and then do Med/Med ratio two days, and then end on a High Carb/Low Fat ratio the last day. Your body won't think your are "starving" yourself and will minimize fat storage (converting carbs to fat).
    3) When doing cardio - always do it in the morning BEFORE you eat. Your body naturally uses carbs first for energy, then uses fat after carbs are low or depleted. If you do cardio in the morning, your body will have used a lot of the carbs in your system to maintain your body while you sleep. With low carbs in your system, your body will then go for the fat deposits for energy.

There's a lot more... but those are three that I am doing to keep growing but watching my body fat percentage.

Work Well. Eat Well. Be Well.

Bryan
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Look into the Stronglifts program and clean up your diet!

Haven't seen your diet but Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women also is a good one to look into.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You cannot gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously.

Choose one.

The best you can do while losing fat is preserving as much muscle as possible--you do this by consistently eating in a moderate caloric deficit.

On the other end of the spectrum, the best you can do while aiming to gain muscle is to gain as little fat as possible--you do this by consistently eating in a moderate caloric surplus. That being said, it's impossible to gain absolutely no fat while eating in a surplus.
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    tagging this for later, I have the same stats apart from age too, have lost 45lbs, but am definitely skinny fat, not much muscle at all, I am currently planning ahead for maintenance and a new exercise regime to tone up a bit, but not gain too much weight, interested to hear some tips :)
  • robynthomson710
    Options
    This book has helped me a lot in understanding how nutrition works.

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Curves-Womans-Building-Better/dp/1936608642

My understanding is that if you are on maintenance calories (ie you don't gain or lose scale weight) you can change your body composition ie lose fat and gain muscle. Losing the belly fat is a case of reducing overall body fat, unfortunately ab exercises will do nothing for it as you can't spot reduce fat. That's not to say ab exercises are bad, you still need to do them in order to strengthen your core, but killing them isn't really going to achieve much. Personally I don't do many ab exercises. My programme contains enough deadlifting and squatting which strengthen the core anyway.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You're quite petite for your height. I would think about increasing your calories to a small surplus for a few months to facilitate muscle growth. It's difficult/impossible to build muscle unless you are eating at a surplus. 200 calories extra per day would be enough. Be sure to get 1g protein per lb of your weight (so right now, 115g) and 1/2g fat per lb (so 57g). Lift very heavy things, preferably barbells. If you can deadlift, squat, bench press and overhead press, that's the main stuff covered and you'll be hitting every muscle group. If you're new to this kind of thing, pick a program like Stronglifts, Madcow, Starting Strength etc and follow it for maybe 6 months. You will need to seriously challenge yourself in the gym to reap the rewards of your increased calories.
  • mrsiCkstar
    Options
    It's not really about your weight. What matters is your body fat percentage. As you exercise you gain weight from the muscle you are gaining and the diet you are eating to grow muscle but as long as you gain more muscle than fat you will look leaner and your stomach will flatten out. Basically don't concentrate so much on the weight your scale is showing you and don't be alarmed if you see it go up. Your weight can go up but as long as your body fat percentage goes down (from gaining more muscle than fat) you'll get the results you want.
  • wanzeee
    wanzeee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    barbells!

58694580.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • forgiven16
    forgiven16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No matter how you try you can not build muscle and loose fat at the same time. Stick to one and follow it. I am currently skinny fat as well. 5'7, 140 lb male. I choose to take the approach of bulking up first then cutting later on.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My advice is to eat at maintenance and recomp. Get 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (if you don't know your LBM, get .8 grams per pound of weight), and .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight. Start a progressive loading strength training program. If you've got access to a gym (it sounds like you have) do a beginner routine like Stronglifts or Starting Strength.

Recomping means you're going to VERY SLOWLY build muscle while losing fat. I've done it for the past year. My weight is the same but I've dropped 2 pants sizes.

The other option is to bulk and cut (at your weight you shouldn't be cutting any more). But since it doesn't seem like you've got your training down yet, I'd spend 6 months or so learning to lift properly before bulking. It's not strictly necessary but I think it was helpful for me personally.