Bread and cereal-- how long to get over the relationship?

I am trying to avoid cereals and breads. Im only into day 4 of avoiding cereal and breads. I stress eat and can easily finish a box of cereal in one sitting. I wondered if other bread/cereal addicts have any advice about how long it takes to get over the craving/missing these foods.

Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    I tried and ended up eating like an entire bag of cereal soo, I just work them in now. It's really not that much and if it's something you really want, you should have it - otherwise I've found that I'll eat way more of other foods to try to sate the cravings.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    haha SAME. I don't actively try to ignore these things but... for example, I had SIX slices of bread last night. Oops!

The best thing honestly is to just up your proteins. Have protein with every meal and snack. And don't make it /too/ lean, some fat will help you feel satisfied too. Allow yourself to have bread - with the caveat that you have to have a protein with it. Try switching to open sandwiches - cheesy bread is better than a grilled cheese. A single serving of cereal also looks tiny. It helps to have it in a bowl with some milk and sliced fruit and maybe a little protein powder on it, or have it with a side of eggs or bacon (or egg whites and turkey bacon) as part of an entire meal.

Some people swear by deprivation for self-control, but I'm not a big fan of it!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    I don't avoid the foods I like to eat. Practice adding it into your calorie limit and you'll be fine. Unless there is a medical reason not to eat certain foods then eat in moderation. The more you practice the better you will be able to do it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Why would you avoid foods you clearly enjoy?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    Preportion the servings out into Ziploc bags as well. If it's not all in the same bag, it's harder to eat it all in one sitting.
  • 1948sixty
    1948sixty Posts: 24 Member
    Couple points...(1). I was eating cereal late at night as a "snack"...this I cut out entirely. (2). Rather than cut out bread entirely, I now only eat a whole grain, high fiber bread such as Ezekiel and limit it to one slice at a meal. (3). Reducing processed foods as much as possible and replacing with fresh fruits, veggies and using plant-based proteins such as tofu and edamame along with lean meats, I found my senses were being satisfied and cravings for processed foods ebbed away. (4). I pre-track my dinner before eating so I know exactly what I will eat and then "the kitchen is closed". Wishing you success!
  • I'm not always faithful to bread and cereal but I'm sure I won't ever break up with them. They're way too tasty! ;)
  • Bibianna2012
    Bibianna2012 Posts: 88 Member
    Hi Thanks all for the advice. Addiction runs in my family and unfortunately mine may be cereal/breads. (sounds ridiculous, I know) I had a physical yesterday and my dr said that some people can have issues with certain foods and its best just to avoid them if you can't limit yourself. If i have one bite it throws all my will power out the door!

My dr said just to chew away on veggies and fruits whenever I have the cravings. Im eating lots and lots of veggies which is good- just wondered how long before the cravings go away.

Its a silly problem- but annoying as heck... and Im kind of unpleasant to be around.

Thanks for the tips about protein and fats- I think that will help.
  • Bibianna2012
    Bibianna2012 Posts: 88 Member
    LOL! about breaking up with them...I spend more time with them than my husband!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    I do the same…i buy 100 calorie bagels and flat rounds…they give me my fix.. I can't give it up totally.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Either pre-portion the amounts or maybe buy the individual serving sizes of cereal.

I don't do well cutting entire things out..I just make an effort to be mindful of them.

My downfall is grazing. Gotta keep the snacks out of my mouth!
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    for cereal look for the single servings at the store or a digital scale. you can clearly have some cereal for 300 calories
  • I am exactly the same way, and I've given up bread, and baked goods for Lent. It's been hard, but I feel great I've been able to stick with it.. I generally agree with the common sense advice to not to eliminate entire groups, but honestly, cereal is just something I cannot have in my life, and i cut it out about 6 years ago. It was my number one comfort, numbing food, and it is just easier (for me) to not have it at all, than to practice moderation around it. Some relationships we don't get over. I can't be friends with my cereal "ex", haha :-)
    I know you can do this. Best of luck to you. It gets a lot easier around day 4-5.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    I stopped eating grains for a long time. All you have to do is to stop looking at them as food. Stop buying them, stop being around them, if that means that your family can't have them either then so be it!

I used to be really bad, midnight peanut better sandwiches with quarts of milk to wash them down, three bowls of cereal at a time, nachos up the ying yang. Recently my wife and I started eating bread again (after I figured out my macros and needed to fill up my carbs slot) and it's making us sick, bloated nasty and just sick.. My kids are acting out, bread is just a bad deal for us. I'm taking one for the team so to speak and eating the rest of the bread :D But I don't like it. :D very much.

BTW We eat organic whole grain bread btw, usually Daves Killer Bread or similar.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I am dealing with this by buying blander cereals, like organic cornflakes and branflakes, with no added sugar.
    And sprouted breads, which are much closer to how bread would originally have been before mass production and a crapload of additives took over. I did try the route of elimination, but I felt I was somehow cheating rather than tackling and overcoming the issue, so I simply challenge myself now, by having these foods around, and just having them sometimes. And believe me, I have had insane binges on bread and cereal, among other things, so it is certainly not an easy task, but I am determined not to view food as something to fear, or that has control over me.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Hi Thanks all for the advice. Addiction runs in my family and unfortunately mine may be cereal/breads. (sounds ridiculous, I know) I had a physical yesterday and my dr said that some people can have issues with certain foods and its best just to avoid them if you can't limit yourself. If i have one bite it throws all my will power out the door!

My dr said just to chew away on veggies and fruits whenever I have the cravings. Im eating lots and lots of veggies which is good- just wondered how long before the cravings go away.

Its a silly problem- but annoying as heck... and Im kind of unpleasant to be around.

Thanks for the tips about protein and fats- I think that will help.

That would just make the problem 10x worse in my opinion! You have to learn how to control yourself!
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Dont have them in your house and substitute for other foods. I eat wraps instead of bread and I make a strawberry protein powder concoction with greek yoghurt with rolled oats and fruit instead of sugary cereals its very yum!
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    I don't avoid any food. What I do is that I measure out a serving and put the rest out of sight, so that I wouldn't eat the rest up. Also, I pour my cereal and milk into a small bowl so that a serving will look a lot in the bowl as compared to a serving in a big bowl. This works for me. So I don't deprive myself of any food. Also I buy cereal without added sugar although this is pretty difficult in my country but I do it. So that I can eat more of it compared to those cereals with tons of sugar in them.

Edit to add.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    I have cereal every morning :) I just chose the cereal that's better for me (atm, all bran and topped with fruits) rather than the less healthy?

Just eat what you like, if you cut it all your more likely to fail.
  • carolyn6280
    carolyn6280 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi

I found I had an addiction to bread and couldn't make it through the morning without having 2 slices of toast for breakfast, since starting MFP about 2 weeks ago I have swapped toast for smoothies on a morning and very rarely eat bread now. Do I miss bread?? Not really, it has now become something that I can take or leave and if I take it, I ensure its counted into my calories for the day. :smile: