Options
    Great recipes!! Must try some!
  • pastabelly
    pastabelly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    www.Skinnytaste.Com has some really good baked oatmeal recipes
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I usually make steel cut oats in my rice cooker, I like a heartier chewy texture that you don't get with the rolled oats. But I do use rolled oats for some things: baking, for one. I also mix them in raw with greek yogurt and peanut butter. For a while I was mixing them with canned pumpkin puree and sweetener and some yogurt and letting it sit overnight for a cold porridge, that was pretty good. Baked oatmeal is good too, but I rarely do it unless I'm making breakfast for company.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just made a breakfast coffee cake using cooked oatmeal from a recipe I found on pinterest. It turned out really really moist and delicious.. the only difference that I made was that I added a tbsp of flour to the topping to give it more of a crumb texture rather than the brown sugar just melting into the cake while it bakes. http://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/2014/03/oatmeal-coffee-cake.html
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I usually make steel cut oats in my rice cooker, I like a heartier chewy texture that you don't get with the rolled oats. But I do use rolled oats for some things: baking, for one. I also mix them in raw with greek yogurt and peanut butter. For a while I was mixing them with canned pumpkin puree and sweetener and some yogurt and letting it sit overnight for a cold porridge, that was pretty good. Baked oatmeal is good too, but I rarely do it unless I'm making breakfast for company.

I tried steel cut oats, and I think I didn't cook them long enough. The directions said to cook for 15 minutes in the microwave but they were still really chewy and some bits were a bit crunchy and quite frankly it was disgusting. Not to mention the HORRIBLE bloating I got afterwards. I was at work and had to unbutton my dress pants just to keep from throwing up. Is it just a texture you have to get used to, or were they just not cooked enough?
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure you are talking about porridge

I have dried cranberries, gogi berries (they were on sale so I bulk bought, they taste of nothing) and frozen mixed fruit.. really tasty.

I am always on the look out for new dried fruit... Dried cherries were nice and I have some blueberries for next batch. I pre-measure it into the cutest little jars and line them up ready (it's quicker and prevents adding extra)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Vanilla, berries of your choice, and a bit of sugar

Apples, raisins, and cinnamon

Peanut butter

Cinnamon, brown sugar, and a bit of cream cheese
  • Carolfp
    Carolfp Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Are those uncle tobys sachets really that bad :(? I love having them in the morning and I believe they sit at 133 call ea?
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Depends on my mood... Somemorning I just have 1 cup of fresh blueberries

Banana and 1/2 tbs of coconut oil

apples and cinnamon granola nuts
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    C1C2C3 - you could add 3 tbs crushed hemp hearts to your bars - that would give you Protein. I buy them in Costco.

In my oatmeal I have 2 cups of frozen berries - blueberries, black berries, raspberries, cinnamon, crushed hemp hearts. It works out to about 440 cal.... BUT - I eat breakfast at 6 a.m. and it sticks to me so I can make it to lunchtime. I have used apple and banana also... but usually stick to the low glycemic fruits.

In reading the posts there are some good ideas... I am going to try the ginger in mine today.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder and my go-to's are:
    - 1/3c canned pumpkin + pumpkin pie spice + 1 scoop vanilla protein
    - 1 scoop chocolate protein + 1 banana
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I tried steel cut oats, and I think I didn't cook them long enough. The directions said to cook for 15 minutes in the microwave but they were still really chewy and some bits were a bit crunchy and quite frankly it was disgusting. Not to mention the HORRIBLE bloating I got afterwards. I was at work and had to unbutton my dress pants just to keep from throwing up. Is it just a texture you have to get used to, or were they just not cooked enough?

I don't think you can really cook them well in the microwave. They do have a somewhat chewy texture and it is different if you're used to instant oatmeal, but crunchy doesn't seem right.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sweet, sweet sweet.

I'm saying try savory! I learned this from my Indian friends. After you cook it add salt and pepper, then add in cooked vegetables and curry powder! You can throw in some peanuts too.

We think that oats and oat meal has to be sweet but, it doesn't. Now, many folks would strongly disagree but, I think that rolled oats are very good when prepared as a savory rather than a sweet.

Let me know if you try it.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I make mine as follows:

1/3 cup dry oatmeal
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    several shakes of cinnamon
    1 scoop of vanilla vegan protein powder
    (optional) swizzle (1 tbsp-ish) of honey
    (optional) berries

Without the optional stuff it's 250 calories, 22 grams protein, 21 grams carbs, 4 grams fat. Don't let the smallish measurement of oatmeal fool you, once you add water and it gets soaked into the oats/protein it's a decent sized serving.
  • Renneke
    Renneke Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Take your favorite flavored packet and re-create it with real ingredients. Use maple syrup, cinnamon, brown sugar, fresh berries, cream, bananas, etc. I used do that all the time when I switched from the packets to real oatmeal. And then I started mixing a combination of pecans, walnuts, almonds, craisins, dried blueberries and dried cherries into a canister. Put one tablespoon of that mixture in each serving of oatmeal. Yummy.
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    C1C2C3 - you could add 3 tbs crushed hemp hearts to your bars - that would give you Protein. I buy them in Costco.

In my oatmeal I have 2 cups of frozen berries - blueberries, black berries, raspberries, cinnamon, crushed hemp hearts. It works out to about 440 cal.... BUT - I eat breakfast at 6 a.m. and it sticks to me so I can make it to lunchtime. I have used apple and banana also... but usually stick to the low glycemic fruits.

In reading the posts there are some good ideas... I am going to try the ginger in mine today.

hemp hearts...never heard of that. I will have to see where I can get it around here. Thanks! :smile:
  • Taoholic
    Taoholic Posts: 2
    Options
    one scoop of Optimum nutrition whey protein powder(delicious strawberry,strawberry-banana & ice cream vanilla) mix in the oatmeal, thats about it lol best thing ever
  • as124
    as124 Posts: 27
    Options
    Usually 2 tablespoons of wheat germ, some almond milk, a little bit of honey and some cinnamon. Much less sweet than the packaged oatmeal that I used to love, but very tasty and the wheat germ adds a lot to the blandness of the oatmeal.
  • juliecnw
    juliecnw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make my own "instant".

put quick cooking oatmeal into a food processor and pulse a couple times, don't pulverize it, just break it down a bit. Put a 1/2 cup into a baggie. Add any spices you like, I prefer apple pie seasoning. I also add 1 teaspoon brown sugar OR 1 tablespoon dried fruit.
    To cook dump into microwave safe bowl and add 3/4 cup of water or milk and cook until done. It takes about 90 seconds in my microwave. Stir and eat.

I keep these at work and home. It's cheaper than the packets and I can make it to my taste.