Barbell squats

Options
Do you go front or back?
I read that front is better as less strain on your back, but I find front quite awkward to do and think this will only get worse as I lift heavier.
Thoughts?
Thanks

Replies

• Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I face my barbell on the squat rack and duck my head and shoulders under it, stand up straight and walk backwards two steps to do my squats. This way at the end of my reps I can walk into the rack, duck down and the barbell sits back in the rack.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I hate front squats. They hurt my wrists and I can't get the form quite right. Back squats are my favourite and I can lift much heavier with them. If your form is correct and you aren't lifting more than you are capable of, then there should be no problems with your back.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that one is better than the other. Front squats, when done properly, will activate the quadriceps differently than on back squats, this is just because the weight distribution is slightly different so your core and quads have to work a little harder to keep you standing upright. I tend to incorporate both types of squats into my routine. I can definitely lift heavier with back squats than with front squats. If you want to do both then I would use a lighter weight (still heavy for you) for front to keep form and technique right, and then go heavier for the back squats if you can.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have never done front squats...they look uncomfortable...I will stick to my low back squats.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Both!! There are multiple benefits to having a varied program involving both.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Back squats FTW. Make sure your technique is spot on before adding weight though. Need to look after that back and those knees!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You wont be able to push as much weight with front squats therefore wont see the same kind of benefits as back squats. Though they do make a great accessory lift.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Back squats place more of the load on the posterior half - namely the glutes and hamstrings. Since the weight is loaded almost directly down the spine, they also place compressive forces on the vertebra meaning they force the core to do more work to protect the lower back. For those worried about back problems down the road, this can be an issue if you don't maintian perfect form and lets face it almost NOBODY has perfect form 100% of the time,but it’s crucial to maintain an upright torso and avoid falling forward when driving up from the bottom of a squat.

Front squats challenge the body by placing the barbell in front resting on the shoulders. By pulling the body forward and increasing knee flexion as a lifter descends into a squat, front squats place more emphasis on the quads rather than the glutes. They also challenge the lower back to remain upright and prevent the torso from falling forward.

*STOLEN FROM MEN'S HEALTH*
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Do you go front or back?
    I read that front is better as less strain on your back, but I find front quite awkward to do and think this will only get worse as I lift heavier.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks

I do both.

Your front squats will by necessity be less weight than your back squat simply as a function of biomechanics. Back squats activate the posterior chain much more than front squats.

How are your front squats awkward?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Do you go front or back?
    Thoughts?
    Thanks

I do both.

Your front squats will by necessity be less weight than your back squat simply as a function of biomechanics. Back squats activate the posterior chain much more than front squats.

How are your front squats awkward?

this.

keep in mind there are 3 ways to do a front squat-
    the traditional "rack" position with no crossing arms- right arm to right 'shoulder' left to left.
    Cross Body hold
    Using straps- put the straps on the bar- get under it- wrap your hands around- elbows bend- much less stress on the elbows- since you are not at an acute angle- but a much more open angle helping stabilize the bar.

There is a great article on T-Nation about the front squat- I highly recommend you go read it if you are interested in doing front squats regularly.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Both. Back because it's a competition lift. Front as an accessory for deadlift. Back is posterior chain. Front is quads but they also hit the upper back like a hammer. My back will give out before my legs and I find that assists with deads. I do my fronts with a clean rack but have done them with straps. I can't get into the body builder crossed arms as it never feels secure.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i do both.... front squats hit quads much harder than back squats. i love to hate them, lol
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Back......because I have rubbish, skinny, weak wrists :(

Haha both actually, but my front squat is considerably lighter than my back.
  • tkdgirlms
    tkdgirlms Posts: 73
    Options
    Just watch how you do your squats so you don't hurt your knees - I've had 3 knee surgeries (not from doing this) and have a possibility of fourth soon.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Back. never thought about front as they are not on the poster that I have telling me what exercises to do with my bar and dumbells....
  • tpncc
    tpncc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Web search for Dan John, the inventor of the Goblet Squat and the 4-week squat 101. One of his favorite expressions is " squats don't hurt your back/knees/wrists/etc., what you're doing hurts your back/knees/wrists/etc".

Here is a you tube link to some of his videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dan john front squat&sm=1
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Both.

It's not one or the other - they each serve a different purpose, which others have explained for me. :smile:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I only do back squats, but I'd like to do front squats. I watched a guy in my gym alternate back and front squats and was talking to him about it. He said front squats really develop your upper back. He was front squatting 275, I think. I tried to do it with just the bar, but it is a bit awkward for me and I don't really know where the bar is supposed to sit.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Definitely both! Front are a good accessory on my deads day. I go cross arm hold and don't have any trouble holding the bar up - it sort of balances on my clavicle. And yes, at a lighter weight than back squats, not many people could hold the same weight on their front as on their shoulders!
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    For me my upper back gets tired before my legs do when I do front squats. Its probably a mobility issue though. In my opinion just do full range squats regardless of the variety. Either way you will be ahead of the game.