Barbell squats

Options

Replies

• rlxsn
    rlxsn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Agree - definitely both. Use the Smith Machine to get yourself used to the Front Squat and move to barbell once you feel comfortable.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Agree - definitely both. Use the Smith Machine to get yourself used to the Front Squat and move to barbell once you feel comfortable.
    I'm not sure this is the best option. Because the smith machine forces the bar to one plane, you don't have the same movement as a free bar. The bar doesn't move straight up and down. To get used to the movement, use a light bar or even a broomstick.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Back and low-bar.
  • tpncc
    tpncc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with #JulieWatkin... Smith is not designed for squats. The bar needs to move on the horizontal plane as your body moves in the vertical plane. Smith does not allow this.
    I'm not sure this is the best option. Because the smith machine forces the bar to one plane, you don't have the same movement as a free bar. The bar doesn't move straight up and down. To get used to the movement, use a light bar or even a broomstick.
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have lower back issues so I tend to do the front squats or goblet squats
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I do both. I've just recently found a comfortable grip for front squats. They are more for an accessory to back squats and deadlifts for me. I've noticed a huge difference since upping the weight with front squats as a carryover to other lifts.
  • rlxsn
    Options
    I'm not suggesting to solely use Smith but it is a great way to introduce yourself (body and mind) to the front squat
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not suggesting to solely use Smith but it is a great way to introduce yourself (body and mind) to the front squat

me thinks doing some research and learning how to properly front squat with just the bar would be superior to the smith - that seems to be an awkward way of learning to do an already potentially awkward lift.
  • rlxsn
    Options
    just a matter of opinion. not saying I'm right or wrong, just speaking from my experience..
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Well this will probably start a *kitten* storm...but whatever, just my opinion from my experience. For those with flexibility issues and/or long limbs where regular barbell squats are just a complete disaster, Smith squats can be very effective - IF you move your feet forward. (Please for the love of protein and iron, notice the "IF you move your feet forward part" before you start grinding your teeth and frothing at the mouth)

Keeping your feet well in front of the bar allows you to maintain an upright posture throughout the ROM, and the lack of horizontal bar movement isn't an issue. It's also great if you want to isolate the quads and take the glutes and hams out of the equation because you can stop at or just above parallel, you get constant tension on the quads with little assistance from the posterior chain. Of course you can do that with a barbell too, but its easier to be consistent on the Smith. It's also much easier on the Smith with feet forward to vary foot placement to target specific parts of the quad, a narrow inside shoulder stance really hits the outer quads well.

If you can squat comfortably, completely disregard all of the above. But if you're like many that can't, maybe give it an honest try. Nothing to lose and you might find a way to train your legs effectively without some of the grief.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i suppose both would probably be best, unless the goal is maximum quad strength, then just go with back as you can lift heavier.

I wouldnt' think it really takes stress off you back. I mean, you wont have to deal with the pressure of the bar (but you can get a pad for that), but your still going to use the same back muscles to support your upper body through the exercise.

I would think if anything that its slightly more stressful on parts of your back being that its a somewhat more awkward position to hold the bar.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Well this will probably start a *kitten* storm...but whatever, just my opinion from my experience. For those with flexibility issues and/or long limbs where regular barbell squats are just a complete disaster, Smith squats can be very effective - IF you move your feet forward. (Please for the love of protein and iron, notice the "IF you move your feet forward part" before you start grinding your teeth and frothing at the mouth)

Keeping your feet well in front of the bar allows you to maintain an upright posture throughout the ROM, and the lack of horizontal bar movement isn't an issue. It's also great if you want to isolate the quads and take the glutes and hams out of the equation because you can stop at or just above parallel, you get constant tension on the quads with little assistance from the posterior chain. Of course you can do that with a barbell too, but its easier to be consistent on the Smith. It's also much easier on the Smith with feet forward to vary foot placement to target specific parts of the quad, a narrow inside shoulder stance really hits the outer quads well.

If you can squat comfortably, completely disregard all of the above. But if you're like many that can't, maybe give it an honest try. Nothing to lose and you might find a way to train your legs effectively without some of the grief.

seems like good advice to me, especially for those of us morooned on planet fitness
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Isn't that more of a hack squat using the smith machine, vs. a fill in for back squats? Hack squats are good accessory, or body building lift, but not a power lifting move, and other than strengthening your quads, will not help your squat that much, unless the weak point in the chain of movement comes from quads.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Isn't that more of a hack squat using the smith machine, vs. a fill in for back squats? Hack squats are good accessory, or body building lift, but not a power lifting move, and other than strengthening your quads, will not help your squat that much, unless the weak point in the chain of movement comes from quads.

You're right, similar to a hack squat...but different too. I can't really describe it, but for me at least I can move a lot more weight with this than with the hack. All I can say is try it if your interested, see how it feels. And of course not anything remotely applying to powerlifting, but I thought I made that clear in my post. This is for people looking to prioritize certain areas of the quads, or for those that can't back squat. Like I said, if you can squat comfortably disregard entirely.

Seriously, what is this boards fixation with powerlifting and strength training? I see a few genuine powerlifters on here, hats of to them. But for the average person training with more of a body building style will yield better results. You still get strength gains, but you also get muscle definition and rev up your metabolism and burn more fat.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have friends that can squat on the smith machine no problem, but personally I find that I cannot place my feet in such a way that I don't feel increased pressure on my knees, even with a trivial amount of weight on the bar.
    Seriously, what is this boards fixation with powerlifting and strength training? I see a few genuine powerlifters on here, hats of to them. But for the average person training with more of a body building style will yield better results. You still get strength gains, but you also get muscle definition and rev up your metabolism and burn more fat.

Couldn't tell you but powerlifting movements recommendations are definitely commonplace around here. I wonder if a lot of people simply learned from SS and SL5x5 and now they're passing those recommendations on to others - or perhaps they recommend SS and SL5x5 so often because of the pro-powerlifting culture (sort of a chicken and egg problem, heh).
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

amen... or, heres a though, mix it up and train both ways lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I would say for the following reasons

1.) most people don't WANT to look like body builders- not really.
    2.) body building splits take too much time- most people want the most back for their buck and just get in and get out
    3.) body building split are more complicated to learn because there is more stuff involved
    4.) power lifting movements have direct correlation in real life- bad back? why because people have no effing clue how to pick stuff up.

As for smith machine vs hack squat
    hack is more under neath you- traditionally it was a BB move- not a machine- and it's more "BACK"

just a different feel. The only way I was every comfortable on the smith was feet forward- gives it a flat back squat. I wouldn't ever recommend it though- most people need to learn how to balance themselves- balance can be imporved but people dont' want to.

Love the people that say they can't squat b/c of their knees- so they use the smith- but then go jump on the leg press at 5-800 lbs. Just don't get it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You wont be able to push as much weight with front squats therefore wont see the same kind of benefits as back squats. Though they do make a great accessory lift.

pretty much this. front squats are great, but the real strong lift is back squats. and just because it's harder doesn't mean that it's all you should be doing.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Totally works different muscles, do both.
    Front squats really work your core where back squats are more butt focused.

Build up gradually and the heavier weight won't bother you.