Have You Ever Gotten "The Question?"

Options

Replies

• lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me and I typically answer. I've even had my sister's best friend attempt to lift my shirt to see my stomach in a room full of people. I did stop that and my sister said something to her friend about it being inappropriate.
    Wow. Just wow. I would have flipped out.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's funny, but it don't understand what the big deal is. If someone asked me, I'd just answer. I don't see why it's private information.
    In all honesty it's just makes me uncomfortable to have to admit how far from a healthy weight I still am. It's not something I can really hide...but yeah, I don't want to spray paint it on the side of a building either. :laugh:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Just tell her that is a weird and inappropriate question to ask someone, especially in the workplace.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've only had a couple of close family members ask. They were people that I didn't mind telling. At one was a teen, and it was actually good for me to tell her, because she was surprised at the number - she thought I weighed a lot less. It was good for her to know that the number on the scale doesn't tell the whole story.

Now, if someone asked me that in public, they would get a hell of a snarky response. Probably starting with "You first"
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I've only had a couple of close family members ask. They were people that I didn't mind telling. At one was a teen, and it was actually good for me to tell her, because she was surprised at the number - she thought I weighed a lot less. It was good for her to know that the number on the scale doesn't tell the whole story.

Now, if someone asked me that in public, they would get a hell of a snarky response. Probably starting with "You first"

^this. I don't mind if it's family or a really close friend. Other than that, I think it is very strange to ask someone that.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    "Are you normally this rude, or was this simply a lapse in judgement on your part?"

Some people have absolutely no boundaries or filter on what is appropriate. Yes, I have had people ask me and it's usually the ones who are fat and unhealthy. The slim and gorgeous friends are usually just so proud of me for making steps to be healthier and a better version of myself.

What about...
    "Less than I did last month and more than I will next month"

Or

"I don't know I don't weigh myself anymore. What do you weigh?"
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Hehe... You tell me yours and I'll tell you mine... Then wink.

Or... Less than a house and more than a cracker.

Or... I weigh everything. Kinda hard to track my calories otherwise. How about you? Do you weigh your food too?
  • eyleene
    eyleene Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Ha ! I would probably have gone straight for the jugular and , then probably made them an offer for some personal rearrangements to their bodily parts then told them to mind their own f***ing business

but i am snarky .
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Next time, just say that there are some things a LADY never tells, her weight and her age. Then just turn and walk away.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Or... I weigh everything. Kinda hard to track my calories otherwise. How about you? Do you weigh your food too?

This is amazing! I'm gonna save this!
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever been asked that in real life (online, yes - which sounds more skeevy than intended). I have been asked how much weight I've lost, because at 40 lbs, it's definitely noticeable and it's no secret I"ve been trying to lose weight.

I'm at the point where it's just a number, so I don't mind sharing, really. But it's a lot easier now that it would have been when I weighed 350 lbs. It's still generally a rude question, so I am certain I would exhibit some surprise at being asked.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I think the only proper response to that, regardless of your actual weight, is to say "Oh, just take your IQ and multiply it by 4. That's how much I weigh. Oh wait... you'll need help with that...."
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    No one ever asks me except my sisters. People down here seem to realize that it's a pretty personal question
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    "Are you normally this rude, or was this simply a lapse in judgement on your part?"

"But to address your concern, because my life is about you, I've lost 79 lbs since I started my lifestyle change. Would you like some tips?" Then smile, not grin, but smile.

*CLAPS*

a. that is one heck of an answer I'm totally stealing it from you! (if you don't mind? I'll give it a nice spanish translation don't worry ;)
    b. HOLY CRAP CRONGRATS THAT'S AWESOME!
  • drcherokee
    Options
    I think the only proper response to that, regardless of your actual weight, is to say "Oh, just take your IQ and multiply it by 4. That's how much I weigh. Oh wait... you'll need help with that...."

Very nice...I'll have to remember that one.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I think it is a horrible question to ask someone, unless they bring it up about how much weight they have been losing because then it is obvious they are proud of it.

The worst time to get the question or an inquiry, or a quip from someone is when you have recently started and been successful.

I had lost 14 pounds and a buddy asked 'what weight you up to now, isnt it time to start running again'. That just feels absolutely horrible becuase you were feeling good about your weight loss.
  • JVSpades
    JVSpades Posts: 11
    Options
    i always tell ppl idk and tell them to guess, i cant put too much thought into that. My self esteem goes thru enough issues as it is.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

"But to address your concern, because my life is about you, I've lost 79 lbs since I started my lifestyle change. Would you like some tips?" Then smile, not grin, but smile.

+1 - love this!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My entire office knows my weight!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If it's a coworker or such, I would probably ask "How big are you breasts?" or "How often do you have sex with your spouse? Oh, I'm sorry, I thought we were asking completely inappropriate personal questions."

But I am weight/size sensitive.