Ten Seconds For Planks

Options
I came across this article and would like to know what you think of her ten second then repeat rule for planks.

As I’ve mentioned before, one of the tricks I’ve learned is that the maximum amount of time you should hold a plank is 10 seconds, because after that you start to engage and depend on other muscles to keep you up (especially your shoulders). An effective way to plank is to hold it for 10 seconds, rest for 3, and repeat as many times as you’d like (I usually go for 6). Try it- you may find it’s a lot more challenging than holding a plank for a minute straight.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have no idea whether it's more beneficial, but I think I may try it because it sounds like it would make them less boring. Planks are without a doubt the most boring activity I've ever tried.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    One of the critical components is that when you do hold it for 10 seconds, you want to tense every single muscle in your body as tightly as you can. Pretend someone is standing on your back and you have to support them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    and using other muscles is bad?

You can target your arms- shoulders- glutes quads- AND your abs
    why in the world would you want to NOT do that?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

This is my question. Planks are awesome because they work a good deal of your body. If I can work my core AND legs and shoulders, why is that a bad thing?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I would argue that going into position, getting out of position, getting back into position, etc... would do more to engage those other muscles than staying in position in the first place. I'd also argue that 10 seconds is completely arbitrary. Personally, I don't feel any shift in work for about 30 seconds - depending upon variation. The moment you feel the work shift? Then come out and rest.

edited because spelling iz hard
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Here I was impressed with myself when I held a plank for 30 seconds yesterday.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    At first glance I saw "Ten Seconds for Pranks" and thought dis gonna b gud!!! :grumble:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This is my question. Planks are awesome because they work a good deal of your body. If I can work my core AND legs and shoulders, why is that a bad thing?

indeed.

I'd say- after a min or so- you need to move onto a harder variation rather than just pushing longer planks for the sake of planking.
    Elevated/physio ball planks? GREAT!!!
    Plank Up downs
    Plank Pulls
    One leg Plank
    One arm Plank

WINNING
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I would argue that going into position, getting out of position, getting back into position, etc... would do more to engage those other muscles than staying in position in the first place. I'd also argue that 10 seconds is completely arbitrary. Personally, I don't feel any shift in work for about 30 seconds - depending upon variation. The moment you feel the work shift? Then come out and rest.

edited because spelling iz hard

This makes the most sense to me. I'm thinking of starting with 30 seconds, then rest 3 seconds, etc and build on that along with a couple other plank exercises as well. Thank you all for you input.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options

I hear that.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options
    At first glance I saw "Ten Seconds for Pranks" and thought dis gonna b gud!!! :grumble:

That was funny
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options

indeed.

I'd say- after a min or so- you need to move onto a harder variation rather than just pushing longer planks for the sake of planking.
    Plank Up downs
    Plank Pulls
    One leg Plank
    One arm Plank

WINNING

Good idea. Thanks
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Yeah...I thought that was the point?
  • Soulshine66
    Soulshine66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Google the 24 day Ab Challenge, it includes Plank, leg lifts & crunches-eases you right into it :)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

^^^ Im on board with this line of thinking.... Work more with less time... WTH does 10sec do for anyone...
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

You should be, 30 seconds is great!
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

indeed.

Plank Up downs
    Plank Pulls
    One leg Plank
    One arm Plank

WINNING

^^^THIS^^^ Great advice, ladies.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

+1000 and I usually have my toddler sit on my back while I'm doing them...takes it to a whole new level!
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    So the 4 minutes I finally got to is doing me no good?
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I would argue, well just because I like to argue!