The Gym: Is it an escape or a job?

Options

Replies

• skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a job that I enjoy going too. Not something I need to take my mind off of things, but it's something I must do in order to live happily how I choose too.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    As this point in my life, working out is a chore. It's another thing I have to do. I don't hate it but I know I could enjoy it more.

My plate is pretty full right now and family committments/obligations can easily make for 12 to 14 hour days when I factor in work. My weekends are filled with bonafide chores (laundry, housekeeping, errands, etc.). During the work week, I'm lucky that I can take a break and go for a 15 minute walk once or twice a day and that's definitely an escape from the office.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,621 Member
    Options
    I'm a trainer.....................it's both.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I love it, but it is an escape. Ear buds in, music is loud, and all I'm thinking about is picking up the weight.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It is a Joy and a Blessing!
  • PrincessWarior
    PrincessWarior Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For "MOI" its both......
    My mind escapes from reality, my muscle workout.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Both. Sometimes the gym is the last thing I want to do. Sometimes I can't wait to get there. But I've never finished a workout and said, "Damn, I wish I didn't do that".
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    ok so I clicked on the video and I see this guy explaining how to build a mob softener for minecraft. And I'm like ok, its a funny video, meant to make fun of "the grind" in life or video games. Then I notice the "you may skip this add button":laugh:

The actual video is worth a look even if you don't think of workouts as work.

I think of it as an escape. Escape from piles and piles of homework.
  • FckUrExcuses
    Options
    It use to be a chore but now it has turned into a habit and i always look forward to going, i never see it as a direct stress relief but it does help calm me down if having a bad day :)
  • PNewmanTx
    PNewmanTx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's more of a "job" for me, because my true escape is diving. I know it's important to stay in shape, and my workouts allow me to keep shedding pounds, building my endurance and actually eat some of the "less healthy" things once in a while and still not blow my nutritional plan.

That being said, I do enjoy the payoff I get from working out.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    it is my sanctuary.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nothing but Therapeutic for Me...... :drinker:
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    workout time is me time. I don't bring my cell phone and I don't look at a clock (unless it's a morning workout before work and only to make sure I'm not late). It's a time of quiet reflection and serenity (and sweat and pain lol)
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It started off feeling like an escape. These days, it's a chore. But my first child is about to be born. I'm sure it will start feeling like an escape again.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Some days, it's an escape. Some days it's a job.

Some days... Sometimes the best days are when it is the hardest job in the world... Because when I'm done, all of a sudden I am so exhilarated and free... And then I'm set free.

I almost always feel amazing after it's done... Regardless of how I felt going in.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It gets me away from my children. I love them to death but I think we all know they can be...oh what's the word I'm looking for...trying sometimes.

THIS. So much this. Also why I get annoyed when kids are in the adults only locker room. I did not come here to listed to your crying brat in the locker room that has a big @ss sign that clearly says 15 AND OLDER FEMALES ONLY.
    /rant
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A little of each. Usually it's an escape. Sometimes I'm just not feeling it and I have to tell myself it's my job to do it anyway.
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    An experiment (so I guess escape is an appropriate term)
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    both, intensely.
  • bachampion04
    bachampion04 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    With my current job it is my stress reliever and therapist :-)

- James