High carb people who have lost fat effectively?

Options

Replies

• themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    I mean, there are quite a few studies that apparently show quicker fat loss while in ketosis.
    Mostly I just wanted the reassurance of knowing other people do the same as me! Knowing something is right in theory isn't the same, for me, as seeing proof. And sometimes I just need that when I start to doubt myself!

Oh. Well.

Comparison-6-13_small.png

150-250 grams of carbs a day average.
    Point taken!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I mean, there are quite a few studies that apparently show quicker fat loss while in ketosis.
    Mostly I just wanted the reassurance of knowing other people do the same as me! Knowing something is right in theory isn't the same, for me, as seeing proof. And sometimes I just need that when I start to doubt myself!

Oh. Well.

Hot damn Jonnythan, you need to warn me when you break that out.

Works best when it comes out of nowhere.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Me! I eat 50% carbs and have dropped my body fat percentage to 14-17% (depending on method of calculation). Feel free to add me if you want to check out my diary.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Oh. Well.

Hot damn Jonnythan, you need to warn me when you break that out.

Works best when it comes out of nowhere.

Fair point! :P carry on...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat over 200 every day.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Oh. Well.

Comparison-6-13_small.png

Don't mind me... I am just here for eye candy.

I hear those carbs don't count anyway.
  • krispy1982
    krispy1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I love love love carbs! And I really can't handle low carb at all. I found this article the other day and it made so much sense! But I know what you're saying... you "know" low carb isn't for you but still fighting the constant barrage of "carbsarethedevil" can wear a person down! Here's the link:

http://www.muscleforlife.com/carbohydrates-and-weight-loss-should-you-go-low-carb/

he explains all the science behind why some people are like you and me, and others thrive on lower carbs and find it easier to eat at a defecit that way.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i am a carb lover, and my diary is open. my diet 60% carbs,20%protein,20% fat. and

I have lost 40lbs, and I am 15 from goal.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No one told me people were taking off clothes/wearing towels in here! I would have come in soon if I'd known about that.

I'm not always at 200, but I'd say I generally fall anywhere between 150-225. I've done okay.

Oh. I'm a cartoon today. Hold on....

Vzgfpwy.jpg?1
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I got to my goal in 8 months and have been on maintenance for 17 more months eating around 60% carbs. I feel great and have plenty of energy. . . nearly all of those carbs are full of nutrients, but I do reserve some calories every for treats. . . a glass of wine, a square of chocolate, a slice of banana nut bread. I believe that this is sustainable for me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are we doing pics in here?

8cdf4608-0388-4cca-af70-726319b71a89_zpscf6393e1.jpg

73561c6b-d80e-4a7d-9851-c362543b0dad_zps9d9ea928.jpg

2a08f1f7-635a-4b10-ac4e-bc62c0438de3_zps64af6fa5.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    diamonds.jpg
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Whoa where did this topic head? Not that I'm complaining!

@jonnythan, how have I not seen those pics before?

@Achyra and ILiftHeavyAcrylics, I've seen yours before but they're also amazing!

Ok back on topic. I don't really track my carb macro, I'm more focused on hitting my protein goal (I have no problem with hitting my fat macro - I love all things fat!) so whatever is left is usually carbs. That means some days are high and some are low. Typically about 50% of my diet is carbs.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Over 200g carbs a day. 5'10. 134Ibs. 12-14% bodyfat.

Please excuse the gym toilet making a fleeting appearance, lol.

20130804_184558_zps96773356.jpg
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    You guys all look so great!!!
    And thanks krispy for that article!

The truth is I actually have done well so far with high carb and lifting to ensure LBM isn't lost while I'm on my deficit. Here's my progress pic from last summer from May to July that I actually forgot about until now haha. My current BF% is a liiiiiiiiittle higher than in the July pic, but I guess I also have personal proof that high carbs don't = holding on to fat.

tumblr_mpjw531FWu1qih32ko1_500.jpg

I guess I just tend to negate my own success when I'm constantly bombarded with "*kitten* CARBS"
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    BTW you will want to raise your protein goal to optimize fat loss. Higher protein intake helps preserve muscle so more of the weight lost is fat.

^second this. General rule of thumb is around 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass

Yep.

Protein and fat should be looked at as minimums, fill in the rest however you like, but those are pretty important to hit on a regular basis.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Okay, how about if I set my goal so that I'm shooting for 88g on non-workout days (only 1-2 days a week, 2 being rare) and ~100 on days when I work out?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BTW you will want to raise your protein goal to optimize fat loss. Higher protein intake helps preserve muscle so more of the weight lost is fat.

^second this. General rule of thumb is around 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass

Yep.

Protein and fat should be looked at as minimums, fill in the rest however you like, but those are pretty important to hit on a regular basis.
    Ditto above - exactly what I've been doing and it worked really well for fat loss and muscle retention. I cycle a lot and so need my carbs (highest one day total = 674g!).

In order of priority when I was losing weight:
    Calories - protein - fat - the rest falls wherever it falls (unless I'm doing a long ride then I'll boost my complex and simple carbs for energy/endurance).
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Ah. Okay. So if I focused on getting ~100g protein on exercise days (6, sometimes 5, days a week), I'd be good in that dept?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Ah. Okay. So if I focused on getting ~100g protein on exercise days (6, sometimes 5, days a week), I'd be good in that dept?

Protien is based on LBM...1g for every pound of Lean body mass...I aim for 120g a day...

Oh and as for the carbs my goal is 180g...I get at least 150 usually...