Is there anyone who still believes in low carb dieting?

Options

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    BTW - to the Original Poster, who asked about current/recent information - here are some intelligent links, one to a study and one to a scientific explanation that support a lower-carb lifestyle. I really like this guy's site - I don't necessarily follow every bit of advice, but I think it's solid and he's well educated/read.

http://graemethomasonline.com/carbohydrate-restriction-the-numbers-dont-lie/

http://graemethomasonline.com/carbohydrates-a-question-of-need/
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Maybe before low-carb dieting people were overdoing it with carb and not getting enough fat and protein in their diets. By going low carb that forces you to eat more protein and fat. In addtion, low carb diets frown on pure sugar so again the success people were seeing may have to do with avoiding sweet foods that had a high calorie density.

At the end of the day, eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.

I've always argued that I've not jumped on the low-carb bandwagon yet my current level of body fat is extremely low and I have been able to drop weight at will. On the other hand, I may have a low-carb lifestyle. I don't like sweets and I'm big on protein and vegetables. I don't drink juice of any kind as I'd rather not drink my calories. I'm also not afraid to have a little fat in my diet.

Atkins and the others may have been able to capitalize on the fact that most people were on high-carb diets. By advocating low-carb dieting all of sudden we started to hear about people losing pounds like crazy.

But then it went a little crazy. It got to the point where I couldn't have a sandwich with bread without some low-carb nut job sentencing me to a life of obesity and poor health for my sin.

Some people said it best here: you find what works for you and go with it. When it stops working, try something else.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options

At the end of the day, eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.

True but sometimes there are factors that can slow the process. I was averaging 1 lb a week, now almost 1lb a week because of modifying sugar intake from fruit. Eating the same caloric intake with the same activity. Its not always tied up in a pretty weight loss bow of eat less than you burn. !!!:flowerforyou:
  • Pragmatica
    Options
    Low carb has been proven time and time again that it is not a "fad" diet. Americans eat way too many carbs in their diets, and even our own government and "experts" know it. There are tons of articles out there about how the current food pyramid needs to be adjusted to around 100-150 carbs a day. People also need to be re-educated about sodium, cholesterol, fat and protein. Pick up "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It explains the science behind why low carb works and why we should all watch our carbs to become healthy.

Http://www.fathead.com - another excellent site that proves we've been lied to about nutrition
    Http://www.garytaubes.com - author i mentioned above
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    For me, refined carbs had to go! I used MFP back at he beginning of 2010, before trying anything special to lose weight, just out of curiosity's sake (and I was a new iPhone user, with an app addiction - LOL!). I entered my info, MFP showed my recommended calorie intake (which was a 500 cal defect from my BMR), and I started tracking - not aiming for targets, and in now way adjusting what I ate. I was consistently coming in below my recommended calories, and at the recommended carb level, but still gaining weight. In September I started a modified Atkins for my epilepsy (and because I HOPED I could drop some weight too, and it's like magic.

I eat a tonne of veggies on Atkins. Just not root-vegetables. My doctor said my bloodwork is perfect - no vitamin deficiencies or high cholesterol. Low carb does not mean all-you-can-eat steak and cheese! I DO eat balanced meals. I've just accepted the fact that I'll not be eating white bread or white pasta again, and I'm fine with that.

I do think we don't all operate identically. My husband is 5'10", 124lbs, and does and has always eaten at least 3 times as much as me - and I don't mean celery. He has not cut carbs, nor does he need to. He eats two dozen perogies in one sitting, or a 15" pizza by himself, and hasn't gained a pound (he's pushing 40 years old). But for me, low carb is the answer!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    (Defecit, not defect...)
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have been waiting for the low carb fad diet to go away but for some reason it is just lingering and people are still preaching its praises. I have dismissed it from the start and have no plans on ever going on a low carb diet. So far, eating a balanced diet has worked for me.

Is there any new information about low carb dieting that is keeping it alive?

They are effective at promoting fat loss. I am with you, I prefer a balanced diet. If you are trying to get extremely lean you will be very low carb as you get leaner and leaner just by the very nature of dieting. But I keep as many carbs in my diet as long as I can. It is not for everybody. But some people prefer low carb diets so it has its place. Is it superior for fat loss compared to a balnced diet. Not realy. Most approaches have their pro's and cons. Personally I think to much is made of it all. Just bust your *kitten* and do what it takes to get lean. That is the approach I find most effective.
  • musclebuilder
    Options
    Low carb has been proven time and time again that it is not a "fad" diet. Americans eat way too many carbs in their diets, and even our own government and "experts" know it. There are tons of articles out there about how the current food pyramid needs to be adjusted to around 100-150 carbs a day. People also need to be re-educated about sodium, cholesterol, fat and protein. Pick up "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It explains the science behind why low carb works and why we should all watch our carbs to become healthy.

Http://www.fathead.com - another excellent site that proves we've been lied to about nutrition

Americans eat to much garbage and dont do enough exercise. Carbohydrates are not the issue.. I am currently eating over 400g complex carbs a day. I am staying under 10% bf and slowly building lean muscle mass.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Low carb diets are not fads! I would however say people take the basic idea of low carb, and morph it into something that seems crazy like stuffing their faces with fatty steak, bacon and cheese every meal.

It's a fact that if you eat too much starchy carbs, your blood sugar will increase and start the chain reaction of triglycerides causing fat gain. Will you still lose weight if you're watching your calories, yes. Will it be that fastest and healthiest way to do it, no.

I am practicing a low carb diet by limiting my carbs to about 2 servings a day, usually lunch and dinner. It's pretty balanced however because America is such a carb consuming nation, it's still considered "low carb".

Just look at the stereotypical American meals:
    Breakfast - Cereal, toast, bagel, etc
    Lunch - Sandwiches, hotdogs, chips, fries, etc
    Dinner - Pasta, rice, mash potatoes, hamburgers, etc

Before dieting and learning about nutrition, it was common for me to eat 2 or more servings each meal. That would end up 6+ servings of starchy carbs a day which is not natural for our bodies at all. Low carb really means normal carbs in a high carb society.

I know this jumps around a lot, it's way too early on a Friday...I'm basically saying that yes a balanced diet is the way to go...just don't lump all "low carb dieters" in the fad crazy category because low carb is a part of a balanced diet.
  • Pragmatica
    Options
    Being 10% bf and at your fitness level is NOT typical of the average American. Your body uses that fuel in different ways, while the rest of us keep stuffing our faces with no end in sight. I wish we could all eat like that, but it's not possibly. On the other hand, you might be interested in cyclic low carb (low carb/high carb cycles) to see more gains in your lifting and bulking.

Americans eat to much garbage and dont do enough exercise. Carbohydrates are not the issue.. I am currently eating over 400g complex carbs a day. I am staying under 10% bf and slowly building lean muscle mass.
  • SillySarah
    Options
    I have been waiting for the low carb fad diet to go away but for some reason it is just lingering and people are still preaching its praises. I have dismissed it from the start and have no plans on ever going on a low carb diet. So far, eating a balanced diet has worked for me.

Is there any new information about low carb dieting that is keeping it alive?

I personally do best by carb cycling. What I do is not a full-out low carb diet because I have high carb intake days and lower carb intake days. I seem to be the type to hold water easily and if I eat a high carb diet (even if they are the healthy complex variety) I balloon up and gain weight.

I basically eat my highest carb meals in the morning hours and after my intense workouts and phase out grains and starchy carbs as the day progresses. I also tend to go 2-3 days of not eating very many starches, after which, I'll get my fill of brown rice and bread.

I did this for a year and a half a couple years ago and I became very lean. I started running 2 years ago and switched to eating more starchy carbs to accommodate my mileage. Even while keeping my daily intake of calories to a reasonable amount given my activity levels, I gained weight and sort of became more puffy/fleshy (I developed love handles too). I became very frustrated because despite my hard work and healthy eating, my clothes were fitting funny and I had lost the lean, in shape look I had. I've recently (4 months ago) quit running altogether, started carb cycling in the aforementioned way and I've lost weight and now have become leaner again. My clothes fit better and the love handles are almost gone too.

It's not scientific per se, but it seems to work for me. I don't ever feel deprived on the days when I eat fewer carbs because I know that in a few days I can have a sundae or some pizza. Everything in moderation.

I generally don't like fad diets because they are too restrictive IMO, but I think that varying the types of foods one eats is useful if done in a balanced and thoughtful manner. That's just my 2 cents.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    yes, you should keep your carbs low, but you should not live a near non-existent carb diet
  • SillySarah
    Options
    Before I ever paid much attention to the big "fad" diets or serious nutrition, I just happened to never be a big fan of bread, rice or pasta. Yes I ate them, but not that much and certainly never went out of my way to do so. I lifted a lot of weights and ate tons of protein. I was able to maintain a very healthy weight with eating relatively low amounts of carbs.

Even now, I am much more of a runner than a lifter, but I still prefer to eat meat and veggies & fruits over bread/rice/pasta.
    I will eat whole wheat bread on a snadwich for lunch. And its hit or miss maybe 1-2 days a week I will have a small side of rice or pasta for dinner, otherwise its fish/chicken/meat & veggies. I have leaned up very nicely on this diet and feel great.

Yeah, that's how I roll. I eat a lot of leafy green salads, lean meats, and veggies during the week. I feel stronger and my energy levels seem to be more consistent throughout the day. No 2:30 feeling here.
  • musclebuilder
    Options
    Being 10% bf and at your fitness level is NOT typical of the average American. Your body uses that fuel in different ways, while the rest of us keep stuffing our faces with no end in sight. I wish we could all eat like that, but it's not possibly. On the other hand, you might be interested in cyclic low carb (low carb/high carb cycles) to see more gains in your lifting and bulking.

Prag, it may not be typical but you don't need to be at my fitness level to consume a good amount of healthy carbohydrates and still be in very fine health.. Again, the issue is greater then just over consuming carbohydrates..People need to be aware of the types of carbohydrates/fats ect.. they consume and they need to be aware of how much calories over all they are consuming. And they have to exercise in some way shape or form. Telling Americans they need to eat less carbohydrates is not going to realy solve any thing in my opinion. Letting them know they have to make better choices with the types of foods and manage the quantity of those foods they consume and that they must exercise will..I acually do cycle carbs and my other macronutrients/calories by default because I eat significantly more calories on days I exercise then on days I do not. A lot of those calories tend to be in the way of healthy carbohydrates.
  • Pragmatica
    Options
    Right, I understand what you are saying.

There definitely needs to be some education to everyone about what they are eating - and that includes all types of nutrients. It can be as simple as actually looking at an ingredient list and nutrition facts. Learning to log your food is an excellent start for most people, but you need to dig deeper into what those numbers actually mean. Some people are simply too busy or too lazy to do that. I may be assuming here, but those people then get their information from unreliable sources - like TV, magazine ads, or the internet. Hell, even the government with their food pyramid have it wrong (and that may be mostly due to the huge food manufacturing companies like Coca-Cola and Mars that have influence over political dollars).

It is sad that there are people out there that really don't even know what a carb is, let alone the difference between complex or simple ones. People don't understand how dietary fiber and sugar (even natural sugars in fruits/veggies) have an impact. These are not easy concepts to gasp for everyone. Fat is another thing that is EXTREMELY misunderstood in America's diets. The majority of us are so scared to eat fat, when it is good for us! Same with protein!

In my diet, I use a 10% carbs/40% fat/50% protein split of my calories. This usually puts me somewhere between 15-25g net carbs a day, but I also make sure I am getting enough fat and protein. By doing this, I keep my body in ketosis, and I have been since October 2009. Since watching my carbs, I have lost 130+ pounds AND lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol levels. I am sure some people wouldn't believe me if I showed them the types of fatty meats, full of sodium that I eat. It really does work for people (maybe not everyone).

Another way to look at low carb, if you are doing calorie restriction/low fat - you will be lowering your carbs WITHOUT realizing it. You may still be eating higher carb levels than someone on a "low carb" diet, but it doesn't matter. You are probably eating healthy, good carbs and cutting simple sugars. This really works to your advantage!
  • musclebuilder
    Options
    Right, I understand what you are saying.

There definitely needs to be some education to everyone about what they are eating - and that includes all types of nutrients. It can be as simple as actually looking at an ingredient list and nutrition facts. Learning to log your food is an excellent start for most people, but you need to dig deeper into what those numbers actually mean. Some people are simply too busy or too lazy to do that. I may be assuming here, but those people then get their information from unreliable sources - like TV, magazine ads, or the internet. Hell, even the government with their food pyramid have it wrong (and that may be mostly due to the huge food manufacturing companies like Coca-Cola and Mars that have influence over political dollars).

It is sad that there are people out there that really don't even know what a carb is, let alone the difference between complex or simple ones. People don't understand how dietary fiber and sugar (even natural sugars in fruits/veggies) have an impact. These are not easy concepts to gasp for everyone. Fat is another thing that is EXTREMELY misunderstood in America's diets. The majority of us are so scared to eat fat, when it is good for us! Same with protein!

In my diet, I use a 10% carbs/40% fat/50% protein split of my calories. This usually puts me somewhere between 15-25g net carbs a day, but I also make sure I am getting enough fat and protein. By doing this, I keep my body in ketosis, and I have been since October 2009. Since watching my carbs, I have lost 130+ pounds AND lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol levels. I am sure some people wouldn't believe me if I showed them the types of fatty meats, full of sodium that I eat. It really does work for people (maybe not everyone).

Another way to look at low carb, if you are doing calorie restriction/low fat - you will be lowering your carbs WITHOUT realizing it. You may still be eating higher carb levels than someone on a "low carb" diet, but it doesn't matter. You are probably eating healthy, good carbs and cutting simple sugars. This really works to your advantage!

Prag, first off congrats on your weight loss thus far and improvements in BP and Col levels. That is inspirational! But you're right, it is sad that so many people are not more aware of what they eat and not only that but how the food they eat effects their body and quality of life. And the same goes for exercise or lack of it..I mean obviously so many things can factor in to why somebody does not take proper care of themselves..There needs to be a greater emphasis placed on health and fitness starting at an early age. That is the time to develop those healthy habits. But at the very least we as individuals can help be examples of a healthy lifestyle. Keep up your great work and continued success.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

out of curiosity, what types of meals are you eating to give you that amount of carbs per day?
  • jessecobra
    Options
    no point in counting carbs.

keep your calorie intake under maintenance and you'll lose weight.

anyone watching their calories will never hit the dangerous carb levels anyways. unless you can find 90% carb foods and eat it all day. i dont even watch my carbs. but when i go back to look at my daily stats the carbs are in decent shape and i dont even try.
  • Pragmatica
    Options
    Breakfast includes cheese omelets with veggies like green pepper, mushrooms and onion. Sausage and bacon. If I am going to be busy for the week, I make a crustless quiche to last me through the week.

Lunch and dinner are sometimes just left overs. If not, I cook recipes high in protein and fat, and a side salad including salad greens with a little onion/green pepper/cucumber. For sides, I look for low carb recipes that sometimes use low carb alternatives, like using riced cauliflower or fried radish "homefries." I love broccoli and cheese, and I have a great low carb green bean casserole that gets made a lot.

I have learned to love cooking, researching and trying new recipes, and step outside of the box when it comes to making things for meals. It really isn't very hard to keep your carbs low once you make a plan and stick to it. I always plan my meals, and do grocery shopping according to it. I rarely buy anything "pre-made" or "processed" anymore unless it is like frozen broccoli, canned tomato sauce or canned mushrooms. I buy all fresh meats, cheeses, eggs, and vegetables.

My food diary is open for the last few days since joining. I have went out to eat a couple time because of Christmas shopping and finishing up finals, so that is rare. But, as you can see, I remove the bun from my sandwiches and skip the sides unless I can get a side salad.

out of curiosity, what types of meals are you eating to give you that amount of carbs per day?
  • Pragmatica
    Options
    The point in counting carbs - if you keep your carb intake low enough, you don't need to worry about your calories. If you read my other post, I said basically the same thing - if you are on either a counting calories/low fat diet, you will lower your carb count just by doing that. This is something I already know, but this goes beyond that. Calories aren't the focus of a carb limited diet.

no point in counting carbs.

keep your calorie intake under maintenance and you'll lose weight.

anyone watching their calories will never hit the dangerous carb levels anyways. unless you can find 90% carb foods and eat it all day. i dont even watch my carbs. but when i go back to look at my daily stats the carbs are in decent shape and i dont even try.