What can I eat to feel full that's not fattening?

Options

Replies

• susannah96
    susannah96 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1tbs smooth peanut butter mixed with half a banana and 1tsp of honey spread on crispbread is a great snack :)
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Quest bars fill me up, or hummus dip with carrot sticks. A big size apple can also do the trick some days.
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    try lean proteins like chicken and/or fish in salads. I tend to eat lots more salads but add chopped almonds cahews or sunflowers to it. and chicken tends to keep me full with the size of the salads I make with tons of fresh veggies.good luck to you.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is what I have for snacks slices of turkey from the deli. one piece of Fit & Active cheese, one boiled egg , then I make my smoothie with my Nutri bullet, 1/2 cup of frozen fruit each strawberries,blueberries, & peaches, then 1 cut up banana a small container of Fit & Active yogurt , & a dash of cinnamon then fill up to the line with water. This makes 2 full size glasses I buy my fruit at Aldi's which is only $2.49 per bag & my Fit & active yogurt for only $0.39.
    You will be filled to the brim with all this & it is all low calories & healthy for you,plus I would never sit down & eat fruit like that just by it self, Oh you can add chia seeds to the drink also they swell & fill you up I use them all the time.Let me know if you make this what you think!!
    Judy
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I make chia pudding with almond milk, a dash of vanilla and a bit of maple syrup. Almond milk is a godsend since I try to avoid dairy.
  • VASMA63
    VASMA63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I nuke a full bag of green beans, add salt and 1 Tbsp of parmesan cheese and eat the whole thing for less than 150 calories.
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber and healthy fat.......best combo.....I love a little cottage cheese with tomato, avocado and green onion......very tasty and filling......If you like to try unusual things try cooking some hulled barley (not pearl) and add to your oatmeal or smoothie...lots of fiber .....I use chia and flax in my smoothie, and it keeps me satisfied for hours....
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast is 2 hard boiled eggs and half an avocado. Fills me up for most of the morning. If I'm hungry before lunch I'll usually have an apple with a tablespoon or 2 of almond butter. Definitely stay with high protein, some fats and fiber.
  • leeejordan
    leeejordan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When i feel as if i need something to keep me going until the next meal i sometimes turn to a boiled egg & celery. Not to every ones taste but it helps me out of a spot.
  • sallyannnaidoo
    sallyannnaidoo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I personally like munching on soy nuts, eating chia seeds with yogurt and also eating barley really fills me up quickly!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    OP, are you logging your food? Do you use a food scale? Digital scales are better than balance scales. And better than measuring cups, too. A key to your success is log every bite. The recipe builder here on the site helps too. (Pay attention that the food item you chose, however, has correct macros).

Perhaps you are under-eating if you feel too hungry. Your ticker says you have roughly 80+ lbs to lose? Is that correct? Perhaps you are cutting your calories too short if this is the case? (You don't want your calorie deficit to go below your BMR #).

As for sodium, I too have issues with it. Key is read read read labels. Can use Mrs Dash, herbs, natural seasonings without added salt. You can get more than adequate sodium in your nutrition without adding to it.

Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Quinoa!

Rice!

Meats!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Fats are very important for hormone regulation and overall health. Fat will not make you fat. A good balance of fat, protein, and fiber will help you feel satiated longer. Don't fear any food. Everything is good in the context of a balanced diet. ;) My breakfast is typical Greek yogurt, PB2, and fruit. Then, if I need a little more before lunch I eat some carrots because I truly like them. Find foods you enjoy, not just food to fill you up, as in the long run, that's not bound to last.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Protein, if you are using MFP settings the amount of protein is pre-set for you but going over is not a bad thing, I like to go over on my protein, when I do, I never feel hungry.

For snacks I tend to lean towards greek yogurt just because it's easy and packs easily for lunches at work. Boiled eggs, nuts, fruit, fresh veg, cottage cheese.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Fiber rich foods and protein.

One gets fat from overconsumption, not necessarily from the types of food they eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    No single food is fattening, more over the quantity in which you eat...

But foods which are both high in protein and Fiber. Fiber can be found in whole wheat, whole grain foods...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    First of all they are called hunger "PANGS" I risk a strike to correct this because weight loss is not supposed to be PAINful. There is nothing necessary about having PAIN due to hunger for weight loss. Wanting a donut over a steak salad is one thing but actual PAIN from not eating anything is quite another.

That being said, check your macro's. If your fat, or protein are out of balance it can leave you with just as much hunger as though you did not consume enough volumes of food. Of course take a look at fiber content as well and also make sure you are sufficiently hydrated. Overall a balance is what helps one feel sated at the right calorie level and get through the day on dieting.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    From scanning the comments, I am glad to see so many people understanding that dietary fat doesn't make you fat. It can mess with your liver, gall bladder, etc., if taken in excess, but in this country, we need to start liking fat. The South does not, as I gather, suffer from this aversion to fat. The problem with the South is that they're frying carbs, which is awesome but fattening.
    Lots of fat is great for some, and it sure tastes great, living in the South, where they fry twinkies, fish, beef, chicken, vegetables and whatever else they can thing of. I see it a lot, along with some of the highest obesity levels, in the country. For a lot of us older people, too much fat, does screw with lowering our cholesterol levels. Moderation is the hard part for me and always struggle with, but, it is getting easier. I like to also pull out a bag of fresh baby spinach, microwave and sprinkle with garlic, low fat cheese, pepper, tsp of butter. It takes 2 minutes, which helps, when I want something "now". Like someone else said, different strokes for different folks.
  • MomAgain45
    MomAgain45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, I've found that a cut apple dipped in GF plain yogurt (flavored with vanilla and stevia) has been a good in-between meal snack. I occasionally will eat it with a tablespoon of organic peanut butter if I have the "extra" calories allotted to that particular day. My weight-loss physician (I go in monthly now as I've hit my 40 lb. loss goal) said there was an article on chia seeds being filling; however, before responding to this forum I did a little reading. They are high in fiber, etc., but not necessarily proven to "expand" in the tummy and make you feel full longer. Hang in there, your weight will catch up with your appetite on 1,400 calories a day SOON! CP