about ready to give up

Options
I am about ready to give up AGAIN on trying to lose weight. I've been trying my best (although family says I'm not trying good enough) to stay on 1200 calories per day. At first I was a few calories under and now I'm going too far over. Watching calories is hard. To date have lost 6 pounds over last month (about). But 3 of those pounds I keep gaining back, then lose, then gain, then lose. Frustrating. I know that I need to exxercise but find it very hard to start since I cannot keep it up for more than a couple of minutes or more before lower back pain starts. Maybe I'm just better off feeling like the Good Year Blimp". :sad: :cry: :indifferent:

Replies

• mickey2168
    mickey2168 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I know how you feel - I have gained several pounds this month and I am frustrated too but I am going to just keep trying too. Don't give up.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I just added you as a friend - I have made lots since I joined and everyone is really supportive :)
    Maybe you could up your calories to 1500 so you aren't feeling so deprived? I know the weather is still pretty crappy in Ontario...but can you do a 20 minute walk once a day to start?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A healthy weight loss is .5–2 lb. per week, so 6 lb. in a month is great. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Logging works.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • briannashaw_
    briannashaw_ Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A healthy weight loss is .5–2 lb. per week, so 6 lb. in a month is great. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Logging works.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Agreed. Also, don't rely on the scale ALL the time. Measure yourself as well. Don't listen to your family saying that you aren't trying hard enough, you obviously are if you have lost 6 lbs. Keep going! It gets hard sometimes, but it will be worth it. I also sent you a request!
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Ok here is an idea ... stay on 1500-1600 calories per day and walk "every day " for at least an hour ... you WILL loose weight ... once you are comfortable you can add little by little some workouts routine ... there is no need to give up
  • NeverGoingToQuit
    NeverGoingToQuit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way but please don't give up. NEVER eat under 1200 calories and break your workouts into little segments at a time. If you get 30 minutes of exercise in a day by breaking it into 10 minute sections through out the day its more exercise then you would get if you didn't do it at all right? That's what I keep telling myself and that is what I plan on doing! I am going to add you as a friend as well! We can help each other
  • terriveller
    terriveller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to pool. Swimming or even walking in pool is great exercise and easy on back or joint issues. Don't give up, it sounds like you are on the right track to lose weight. Weight fluctuates all the time depending on salt intake, exercise or just because it wants to drive you crazy when you are looking for a decent loss after weeks of hard work. Keep trying and it will get better!!!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    3 pounds could just be normal fluctuations. I know how much we want to see things go down in a linear path, but unfortunately life doesn't work that way.

Also, maybe 1200 is too restrictive for you. What is your height/weight/gender? I was trying to do the 1200 thing at first too, and was basically setting myself up to fail. Some people do just fine on that amount, but I certainly did not. I bumped up my calories a little bit, and now feel much more in control and like I can keep going. Just something to think about.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It's normal for many of us to bounce around on the pounds but just keep working steadily and they will drop off. I found, when I began, that walking was a great exercise if you can't do anything too strenuous. Also, if you have a place available where you can swim or work out in the water, it's great and low impact on the body. It is easy to give up but I always looked at the saying posted on my fridge when I got discouraged: "One year from now you'll wish you'd started today." SO TRUE! Time will pass whether you work on your health or not. Good luck to you and I'd be happy to help encourage you if you'd like!
  • JoyLaine
    JoyLaine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Keep working at it! At 1200 calories my progress was not measurable enough to keep me motivated. After bumping up my daily calories to 1360 which doesn't seem like a lot but it made a big difference. I have more energy and don't feel deprived ~ the numbers on the scale are going down slowly which is the healthiest and best way. Don't give up ~ there's lots of support here :smile:
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Ok here is an idea ... stay on 1500-1600 calories per day and walk "every day " for at least an hour ... you WILL loose weight ... once you are comfortable you can add little by little some workouts routine ... there is no need to give up

^^ Agreed! OP I'd basically just maintained for months. Reset my calorie intake to 1500 plus I log my burns at 1 (I can't stick to eating back 50%). That way when I go over as I very often do I have the surplus caps in the bank so to speak still. I make sure I walk at least 45-60 mins a day (even slowly is great). And I'm now back at the gym too. Seriously the lbs are dropping off now. Also swimming is fantastic & the worse your technique the higher the burn!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Hello!

As others have mentioned, you may want to consider eating a bit more if it means it's easier for you to stay on track. Sometimes making a drastic change and jumping into a brand new diet/exercise plan can make sticking with it long-term much harder to do. If you make small, gradual changes instead, you might find the experience more pleasant. You might feel better if you raise your calories and eat foods that you like in order to meet that calorie goal every day.

As for exercise, start out with things that you enjoy doing and things that are low impact. Leslie Sansone has lots of videos out that are low impact and centered around walking. You can do them in your living room, and I've heard great things about her programs.

Some people prefer to dive head first into the pool, but others do better getting their toes wet first. Be patient with yourself and don't give up. It doesn't have to be all or nothing right from the get-go in order to be successful. Even small steps are still steps in the right direction. :smile:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    you need to lose more than 100 pounds? 1200 calories is not near enough. Put your stats in MFP for 1 pound a week and just log everything, You will lose but it will take time. At least you will not be so hungry while you do it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    you need to lose more than 100 pounds? 1200 calories is not near enough. Put your stats in MFP for 1 pound a week and just log everything, You will lose but it will take time. At least you will not be so hungry while you do it.
    ^This.

Read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, you won"t feel like sticking with this on so few calories. Also, being big is harder than losing weight. Trust us, it"s worth sticking with. Eat more, just start with walking for exercise, and look at some of the success stories here for tips and motivation. Think about what you really want out of this. It takes a while but it is the most important thing you can do for your health that is in your control. Be happy about the changes you are making to improve your life.
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do Not Give Up! Then who wins???? That scale does. That's not right. First of all you probably need to be eating more around 14-1500 calories per day and not 1200 calories...That is the bare minimum of calories that someone would need. Depending on how much you were eating before and cutting back to 1500 calories and eating 6 times a day that way you are never hungry. Sometimes eating so little will put your body into starvation mode and it will stand still and not lose a single pound for you. You have to feed your body to lose weight.
  • youngdreamer
    youngdreamer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    With 128 lbs to lose, you could be eating so much more than 1200 calories. If you feel so deprived, there's a good reason why. Nourish your body properly & check out IIFYM.com, then find out your TDEE - 20% & make that your calorie goal. Also, invest in a food scale & weigh everything.
  • jlmusa
    jlmusa Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't give up! I have a lifestyle coach/fitness trainer from California (I am in NJ) training me; she is fabulous! She focuses on proper food combining AND activity geared to your body shape/fat distribution. She does NOT advocate/encourage calorie counting (because she says it causes just what you are feeling) but rather good food choices, whole foods, micronutrients. Effective! Hang in there!
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yeah..Dont give up..That's the purpose you are here in the first place. We are here to motivate you to keep reaching your goals..

You can do it, I know :wink: Just fight the temptation and urge to unhealthy food. Eat RIGHT and kick away the negative thoughts "I CANNOT DO THIS AGAIN" and replace it with "YES!! I CAN!"
  • peggymunsell
    peggymunsell Posts: 124 Member
    Options