Ok .. worth a try size 20 wants to be size 12.

Options
Hi, I am a long time dieter. Things are getting worse since I went clothes shopping. The waistline is gone front and back. My goal is to get fit enough to backpack with my daughter this summer and possibly ride my horse again. This will require the loss of 8 sizes. Currently size 20. I threw away my scale sine it ahs never helped me to lose weight. If I had lost, I would feel free to eat and if I hadn't I felt, what was the use. if anyone would like to be a weight loss buddy, I would appreciate it. thanks

Replies

• xxxtracyxxx
    xxxtracyxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have managed to go from a size 24 to a 16/18. It has taken 2 years, nearly a year on here, and I have had times when I have stalled and had to try something new. I believe in slow but sure and life changes rather than 'dieting'.

If you want to add me, feel free and good luck!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I went from a UK size 20 (us16) to a UK 10/12 (us6/8) in under 2 years. I had recently had a baby when I was the bigger size but before both my pregnancies I'd been around a UK 14(us10) so I ended up smaller. I'm 37 weeks pregnant now and hoping not to have to lose too much this time!
  • thisgirlpoles
    Options
    It's never too late and it's always possible especially when you surround yourself with positive people. Dropped 3 dress sizes a couple of years ago and going for the last one now. Let's stay motivated together ;)

@thisgirlpoles
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Just like the others said, slow and steady wins. Make this a life choice, not just a goal at the end. You will find downhill paths that make you smile all day as well as the uphill that make you need to dig deep and find the determination to say ok, bad day, but tomorrow...

Just know that it will take time and the steady loss is the one that will be easier to keep off. Again it's a life style change. Can you never have that hamburger again? No that's not correct, it just has to be an occasional thing rather than a regular thing. It's a great journey that becomes your life. You really will start to enjoy finding foods or exercises that fit in your daily goals as well as realizing that you really do like how it feels after a great workout.
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Feb 2013 I was a size 20. Yesterday I slid on (ok, wiggled into) a pair of size 12 jeans. You can do it. I won't say it's been easy. I've had setbacks but you can do it.

Wanting to backpack with your daughter is great motivation. One of my biggest motivations was my 10 yr old wants to go zip lining. My husband is afraid of heights, so that leaves me. And, I was too fat. Not anymore! Trying to plan a trip to do it now.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hello :-)
    You can do this!! Just create a deficit and you'll lose weight. Weigh and measure everything you eat and it will work out!!
    I started @202 ( I refused to weigh myself after that, so I don't know how much higher my weight went) and I currently weigh 135 lbs. I went from size 14 pants to a size 4. So it can be done :-)
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    In your case, I agree with throwing away the scale. It's easy for me to get hung up on day-to-day fluctuations. Instead I went by how my clothes fit ,and was thrilled when a doctor's office visit showed I had lost 17 lbs. over 2 years

Read some of the success stories here; people have started with far more weight to lose than you have and their stories (especially the before and after pictures) are amazing. . And backpacking is a great goal. Exercise burns calories, relieves stress, lets you eat a little more of what you love... go for it!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Well you've already taken the first step :drinker:

At my heaviest I was squeezing into a size 18. My initial goal was to get to a 14. Then 12. Then 10. I'm currently at a 6 (or 4 or 8 depending on the brand!). Having a fitness related goal in addition to your weight loss goal is a huge help. There will be times when the weight loss will stall, but having another goal (such as backpacking) to work towards will help keep you motivating during those stalls. Focus on making reasonable and healthy eating choices, with proper portion sizes, and exercise that you enjoy. It's a lifestyle change; be patient, stick with it, and make healthy changes that you can maintain.
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I went from a tight size 20 to a comfortable size six. If I did it anyone can. I did it without sacrificing my favorite foods. I just cut back less salt less sugars and added fruits and vegies.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi this time last year I was a 16 and had given birth and felt awful im now a size 12/14 feel free to add me
  • Turbokristin
    Turbokristin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! You CAN do it. I'm running a FREE clean eating group starting tomorrow actually if you want in. I provide meal plan and we all just check in to a private Facebook group. It's really nice to have that accountability. Totally up to you - you're already getting started here, but just wanted to offer. :-) Remember, 5 lbs at a time, one day at a time. I have 10 FREE Healthy Tips too that are super helpful ---- http://kristinwashko.com Best of luck regardless.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I went for a size 16/18 down to a 6/8 in about a year and half.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I started at a very tight! Size 18. I can now comfortably wear size 16, still got a way to go though. Add me for friend/support :)
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have been squeezing into my size 20 jeans for a while, refusing to buy a size 22. Yesterday, my 20's were comfortable. I have only been actively making changes for under 2 weeks! I would look smokin' in a size 12 at my height and bone size. Let's do this together!!
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You can do it. In January 2013 I wore a size 20. Since September I've been wearing size 6-8-10 pants (depending on brand and cut) and size 12 tops. It's not easy, but hang in there and keep at it. Good luck on your journey! You can add me if you like, but I'm not a very active poster.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You definitely can do this I started about 15 months ago at a very tight size 24/26 now I comfortably wear a size 12. Strive for consistency not perfection, log everything accurately and honestly.... and have patience it does take time, but YOU CAN DO IT!

Good luck to you!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Get after it!!

You have to decide if you want it and are READY. if so, nothing much will stop you.

It MUST be a lifestyle change. Kick the diet mentality to the curb. It's not a diet, it's LIFE.
    Small steps add up --- don't try to change everything all at once.

http://www.getwithitforlife.com/gotta-eat-gonna-lose/
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi there you are where I was seven months ago - I am a few years older and we can do this. My scales only get dusted off once a month, just so my ticker can be updated. It's been fun putting my size 20's in the donation bin and I am now a very comfortable size 16. It's a daily dedication but you are worth it, feel free to add me, I am great cheer leader -- although I personally don't condone 1200 calorie a day diaries -- you have to look at this as a lifestyle change not a diet.

Joanne
  • MountainMan23
    MountainMan23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change along with consistency is the key. Find things to look forward to daily that does not involve food. Find little things about your workout you enjoy and soon you will be looking forward to your "clean" meals as well as your workouts.
  • Moskidna
    Moskidna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you and hopeful. Thanks for your post. It helped me get the motivation to get started.