Are canned vegetables, tuna and instant rice ok to eat?

Options

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'd go easy on the tuna. It's high in mercury. Twice a week is plenty. When I was pregnant with my first child 25 years ago, I ate a tuna sandwich every day at work, thinking tuna was a good protein "brain food." This was before we knew about the mercury. My child has a mild form of autism, and I always wondered years later whether that was the cause.

I eat frozen vegetables all winter, especially broccoli. There's nothing added to it, it's cheaper than fresh, and convenient to cook. Also, they don't spoil. I think you'd have to eat a lot of brown rice to get arsenic poisoning. Most of the people in my office area vegetaraians who live on the stuff, and they're all pretty healthy.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If they fit your macros/caloric requirements in accordance with your fitness goals then yes. That's a very nice dish.

MERCURY....SODIUM.....come on guys lets be real here...both are NOTHING to be worried about. All sodium will do is make you hold water...the amount of mercury found in canned tuna has been scientifically debunked. In the year 2014 I'd be surprised if they even found "traces" of mercury.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    They're fine to bulk on, but be careful with large tuna consumption.

I went way overboard eating a family pack of tuna, 5 days a week, for 6 months. I got the beginning levels of mercury poisoning. If I was superman, it's how I imagine kryptonite would feel.

Now I'm off seafood for 6 months.

http://www.ewg.org/research/tuna-calculator

The above is a link to a calculator for determining how much tuna you can safely consume a week (based on FDA guidelines). A 190 lbs male can consume safely consume about 3 cans a week.
  • Predat0r1502
    Predat0r1502 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    However if these can hinder gaining weight I will stay away from them.

Whether something is fresh or not will have no effect on fat loss.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    If they fit your macros/caloric requirements in accordance with your fitness goals then yes. That's a very nice dish.

MERCURY....SODIUM.....come on guys lets be real here...both are NOTHING to be worried about. All sodium will do is make you hold water...the amount of mercury found in canned tuna has been scientifically debunked. In the year 2014 I'd be surprised if they even found "traces" of mercury.

http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguidance/fishshellfish/outreach/advice_index.cfm#tuna

Canned light tuna is lower in mercury. Albacore tuna has higher levels of mercury. Levels of mercury are sufficiently high to warrant
    Government advisories especially for pregnant and nursing women (obviously does not apply to you). You do have to eat a lot of canned tuna to exceed the guidelines. I would suspect you would die of culinary boredom well before mercury poisoning.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    They're fine! I incorporate canned beans and corn into my salads.
    If you can get fresh and can afford it, by all means go that direction. But don't get worried over the canned stuff. I often opt for lower sodium options as well.

Fish wise, I can't help with that. The only time you'll catch me eating fish is in sushi, haha. Another option to canned tuna, though! I personally love the eel and avocado roll (with light sauce), and spicy tuna. Calorie dense, fills you up, and you can opt for light or no sauces on top.
  • KoopaSix
    Options

http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguidance/fishshellfish/outreach/advice_index.cfm#tuna

Canned light tuna is lower in mercury. Albacore tuna has higher levels of mercury. Levels of mercury are sufficiently high to warrant
    Government advisories especially for pregnant and nursing women (obviously does not apply to you). You do have to eat a lot of canned tuna to exceed the guidelines. I would suspect you would die of culinary boredom well before mercury poisoning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l5D4oQdvWNk

Cliffs:

When Mercury binds with selenium, it becomes harmless
    Tuna (and most other fish) have higher levels of selenium than Mercury, meaning the Mercury will bind to the Selenium, and be excreted from the body as a harmless compound
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I prefer frozen veggies to canned- because they are actually 'fresher'- they are flash frozen to preserve the integreal quality vs a canned product that has to be adapated to live in a can.

But either one is fine.

Also- a big bag of rice is not more expensive than instant rice- much like instant oats- often times it's cheaper to just buy a big bag of unprepped stuff.

Great meal when I was broke as a joke
    Beans +rice + little chopped onion- salt and pepper and a dollop of greek yogurt- filling- costs less than 20 bucks and will feed you for days- it's boring- and it's not exciting- but it' fits the bill.

and eggs- I live off eggs- delicious- and cheap.
  • gymkoala
    gymkoala Posts: 76
    Options
    Man you lazy ! in my experience canned veggies taste like **** and are more expensive. if you buy at the street market you can have cheap stuff !!! it takes only a little time to prep and a lot less to cook than frozen
    props to the eggs !!! i eat a ton of them but i buy the free range ones
    for the canned tuna i prefer makerel has no mercury and it's cheaper (at least in my country)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Cliffs:

Tuna (and most other fish) have higher levels of selenium than Mercury, meaning the Mercury will bind to the Selenium, and be excreted from the body as a harmless compound

If this were true, than why would mercury be traveling up the food chain, with humans ending up with actual verified mercury poisoning after consuming large amounts of tuna?

I'll trust the FDA vs a YouTube video when it comes to this issue.

ETA: Lots to read on Medline regarding mercury levels correlating with fish consumption. Here is just one. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24555648
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    They're fine to bulk on, but be careful with large tuna consumption.

I went way overboard eating a family pack of tuna, 5 days a week, for 6 months. I got the beginning levels of mercury poisoning. If I was superman, it's how I imagine kryptonite would feel.

Now I'm off seafood for 6 months.

This happened to me!

ETA: I was eating 2-4 cans of tuna a day, though.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    And eggs!! Eggs are cheap and delicious.
  • megagents
    Options
    Wow. I never expected to get so many replies. Thanks everybody! I'll make sure to take it easy on the tuna.

P.S. - you guys are hilarious! :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If you have space, you could cook up large batches of rice, let it cool and then freeze portions in plastic freezer bags. I add a bit of water to the semi-thawed rice in a microwave container and it turns out awesome.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just don't mix them together because that doesn't make for a happy casserole. Otherwise, these are all fine.

ETA: I have also had elevated mercury that required medical treatment. Mine was from fresh raw tuna sushi every day.

Watch the tuna consumption and keep it reasonable.

Yes, definitely use egg noodles instead of rice when making tuna casserole!
  • KoopaSix
    Options

Cliffs:

If this were true, than why would mercury be traveling up the food chain, with humans ending up with actual verified mercury poisoning after consuming large amounts of tuna?

ETA: Lots to read on Medline regarding mercury levels correlating with fish consumption. Here is just one. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24555648

This isn't just some broscience youtube video. It's a CONTROLLED STUDY by top biomedical scientists at the Energy & Environmental Research Center which is FUNDED by the United States Government.

The broscience is strong in this thread
  • Emmie112
    Emmie112 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I avoid canned foods where possible since the cans are lined with BPAs which mimics estrogen.

Buy a small rice cooker / steamer for $10. You can add frozen vegetables to cook with the rice and it's ready in 20 minutes.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I avoid canned foods where possible since the cans are lined with BPAs which mimics estrogen.

Buy a small rice cooker / steamer for $10. You can add frozen vegetables to cook with the rice and it's ready in 20 minutes.

Or you can just do that on a pot on the stove. No need to buy fancy equipment when on a budget.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Cliffs:

This isn't just some broscience youtube video. It's a CONTROLLED STUDY by top biomedical scientists at the Energy & Environmental Research Center which is FUNDED by the United States Government.

The broscience is strong in this thread

Can you link me to the controlled study they did?
  • rocioabellaruiz
    Options
    Hi!

Veggies are ok as long as they don't contain sugar as way to preserve them.
    Tuna is ok as well if they're preserved in water, not in oils and finally rice is not an everyday food, it has to be always whole wheat of basmati, the first one is awesome before workouts because it gives you a lot of energy and the second one it's the rice with the lowest amount of calories.

Hope this is helpful :)