Got a Food Scale Today...

Options
hedpe70
hedpe70 Posts: 24 Member
After seeing a few suggestions on these boards about using a food scale, even for a short period of time, I went out and got one today. Previous to this, I had always just eyed up my portions — e.g., 3 oz. of meat is about the size of a deck of cards, etc. I realize that weighing food might turn a lot of people off in this journey, but at this point I'm obsessed with the numbers of it all and find that, if nothing else, having a food scale will give me a MUCH better eye for portion size.

I can remember a ground turkey patty or two that looked more like a brick than a deck of cards that I'd mark down as 3 oz. just because I was making a guess with hungry eyes (Tell me you don't have that song stuck in your head now. You're welcome).

Anyway, for a $10 investment at my local grocery store, I think I'm going to get a bunch of use out of it. Anyone else use a food scale every day?

Happy losing!

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I think my best investment was a food scale...
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    anytime i eat food.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Yep... it's very important.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I use mine every day.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    My scale is my BFF.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Every day. And curse you...that song IS stuck in my head.:grumble:
  • mamabanana
    mamabanana Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I got a food scale last week, and it is a learning curve. it take me a little longer in food prep but I am getting the hang of it in my routine. Its a good investment.
  • RedneckChicana
    Options
    I spent the extra $10 and got a digital one and a new set of measuring spoons and cups. It becomes fun once you get going. But make sure you can do the calculations and conversions. I always sucked at fractions to decimals and all that. I have charts and a calculator handy. This site helps also: http://www.mykitchencalculator.com/calc.html
    But as I said before you will have fun. Sometimes you put stuff on there thinking that its more than enough and its not so you add more and more and like omg wtf! Good Luck and dont get frustrated! *wanders off singing "...hungry eyes...one look at you and I cant disguise..."
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing my food for two years. It's easy; it's quick. . . and it has not turned into an obsession.
  • fit_healthy92
    Options
    Always :) happy logging
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Every day, every meal.

And I am still amazed at how tiny some of the portion sizes are.
  • slenderme2B
    Options
    Good for you. It will help you. of course the brick size meat portion will stop but that's ok. Its for the better. I was leery when I got my scale but it really does help me keep on track and I know I am no longer guessing. So have fun using it!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Great decision. And, yes, we use ours daily.
  • autoee
    autoee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Been using a digital one for a month, great investment keeps me honest on portion size and it has helped keep me motivated when the other scale doesn't move for a few days. I know the process I'm using is solid and its just a matter of time before the weight comes off. Without a scale though, its really a guess.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Good for you.. I love mine too. I was eyeballing before and realized I was underestimating .. Now that I am eating more calories I am losing so much faster. You will love it..
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    DAYM YOU FOR THAT SONG

Anyway, I should really get a scale
  • lmmathis86
    lmmathis86 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    i dont use every day...but i do have one and use it when eatting meat. Good luck with the scale!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Every day! Easiest way to measure for recipes and, well, everything. I love it! The tare button is my best friend.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    lol the song...c'mere you big old double turkey patty!

327433.jpg
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Every day. Mine died yesterday, had to buy a new one immediately.
    I was shocked at some of the UNDER estimations I was making. And how much a serve of 150g of meat is when it's piled up.
    I got more peanut butter than I thought I could, which was great.