I'm "skinny fat" how can i gain muscle but lose fat?

Options

Replies

• 1daylate1dollarshort
    Options
    Okay, so still eating in a deficit to lose weight, no matter how much lifting I do- I will still look all soft and fluffy even getting near goal weight or at goal? Goal weight is healthy, by the way. I've never had good looking muscles.

I'm just totally confused. I can't lower my body fat percentage proportionally then? So, say I'm 175 now and whatever, like 25% body fat. Okay, let's say I get down to 155, this means that my BF% would still be 25% since I've made no muscle gains in a deficit?

Did that question even make sense? Sorry. I'm very tired today. Just wondering (barring strength gains is the CNS with reps or however that works) if lifting weights is pointless in terms of how my body could look once the weight is off? Though I still would like to be stronger as well, but a lot of it is vanity, no lie.
    If you lose 20 or 30 lbs you can assume you will remain the same bf%. Your objective is to lose fat while minimizing the amount of lbm lost. That's where resistance training an adequate protein consumption a key, to preserve as much lbm as possible. So if you lose as much of the 20 or 30 lbs as you can in fat with as little lbm as possible your bf% will go down.

Angel. You lift heavy weights to preserve muscle while in deficit. That's why.

Okay, let's see if I can math this correctly. :laugh:

Let's say you weigh 175 lbs with 25% body fat (very unlikely, but let's go with it). That means you've got 44 (rounded up) lbs of fat. Then let's say you lose 20 lbs of fat only (because you lift weights and eat protein. You'd end up at 155 lbs but you'd have 24 lbs of fat. Your body fat percentage would be 15% (which is really really low for a woman).

Let's say instead that you lose an equal amount of fat and muscle because you don't lift. Now you still weigh 155. But you still have 34 lbs of fat (because you lost 20 but 10 was muscle). That means your body fat % is 22%.

Okay. That makes more sense. Trying to maintain the amount of muscle I have at this point. Those weren't real numbers at all, lol. I just threw out something random because I don't know my BF% and didn't want to state what I weigh. So sorry for the weird random numbers. Body fat would be lower because I didn't lose muscle. Okay. lol.
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • eminentclapper
    eminentclapper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have since beginning of December last year when I started working out, reduced my weight by about 1.5 kg per week in average, while at the same time improved my strength (I keep very detailed records of my workouts) by about 4-6% in average per week.

That weight loss can only come from burning fat, while I build muscle, so you can definitely build muscle and burn fat at the same time!

I'm doing resistance training 3 times per week for about 2-2.5 hours per session, doing a full body workout with 14 exercises, 3-4 sets per exercise and between 12-20 reps per set. This is to build strength and endurance, and especially to burn as many calories as possible during workout. I also keep the intensity as high as I can within the rep range.

Only this week have I started supplementing with cardio in the form of brisk walking. I'm still too heavy to run without risk to my lower back.

In regards to diet, well, I stay completely away from carbonated drinks (including sports/energy drinks), drinking practically only water, the occasional fruit juice and a cup of coffee in the morning. I eat sensibly, focusing on getting enough protein, but not really counting calories much.

One mistake many people do is to drink sports/energy drink while (or shortly after) exercise. Unless you're an elite athlete this serves no purpose and will do more harm than good! You will in effect consume the same or more calories than you've just been working hard to lose. Just drink water!

Focusing on resistance training, with some supplemental cardio, avoiding sugars and getting enough protein is what works for me.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Back on topic, the most efficient skinnyfat solution is to first bulk then cut.

If you are not currently strength training, bulking shouldn't begin until you reach the point of strength gain stalling workout to workout, as you aren't yet using your existing muscles efficiently enough to bulk efficiently (too much fat will be gained).

Once you reach that point, bulk for a bit, then cut the new fat gain off plus a bit more, then repeat the process a time or two again and you'll be out of the skinnyfat zone.

Fair warning, losing 50 lbs is easier than getting out of the skinnyfat zone.

Yep to this. Losing 60 pounds with cardio made me 120 pounds of unhappy. I did strength training at maintenance for a long time and saw moderate results. Then I started a real bulk 5 months ago incorporating a hypertrophy program, and it was the smartest thing I did.

If you are overweight then strength train in a deficit. If you are underweight, then bulk. If you are at ideal weight, bulk and you may change your mind on what ideal weight is.
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    30 day shred...at Walmart for $10. Fast and effective!!!!
  • angel5561
    angel5561 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Back on topic, the most efficient skinnyfat solution is to first bulk then cut.

If you are not currently strength training, bulking shouldn't begin until you reach the point of strength gain stalling workout to workout, as you aren't yet using your existing muscles efficiently enough to bulk efficiently (too much fat will be gained).

Once you reach that point, bulk for a bit, then cut the new fat gain off plus a bit more, then repeat the process a time or two again and you'll be out of the skinnyfat zone.

Fair warning, losing 50 lbs is easier than getting out of the skinnyfat zone.

And this answers my other question perfectly which was how do you know when you should start trying to gain muscle :heart:
    Yep to this. Losing 60 pounds with cardio made me 120 pounds of unhappy. I did strength training at maintenance for a long time and saw moderate results. Then I started a real bulk 5 months ago incorporating a hypertrophy program, and it was the smartest thing I did.

If you are overweight then strength train in a deficit. If you are underweight, then bulk. If you are at ideal weight, bulk and you may change your mind on what ideal weight is.
  • elk726
    elk726 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best Advice!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnd............ Nope.

Not looking to really criticize people's routines today, but man yours in really not good.

Again, nope.

LOL I didn't have the energy to type something out- but this covers it.
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is all great information. So just recently in addition to following my 1lb deficit here on MFP, I'm now into my third week doing the Body by You (YAYOG for women) bodyweight training in addition to my walking (fitbit). I am doing this as I am about 20-ish lbs away from my ultimate goal and want to really work on all over body recomposition as I am not happy with my BF layers in the usual problem areas.

Since I am about 20lbs away from my goal weight, am I on track with doing it this way?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Okay, so still eating in a deficit to lose weight, no matter how much lifting I do- I will still look all soft and fluffy even getting near goal weight or at goal? Goal weight is healthy, by the way. I've never had good looking muscles.

I'm just totally confused. I can't lower my body fat percentage proportionally then? So, say I'm 175 now and whatever, like 25% body fat. Okay, let's say I get down to 155, this means that my BF% would still be 25% since I've made no muscle gains in a deficit?

Did that question even make sense? Sorry. I'm very tired today. Just wondering (barring strength gains is the CNS with reps or however that works) if lifting weights is pointless in terms of how my body could look once the weight is off? Though I still would like to be stronger as well, but a lot of it is vanity, no lie.
    If you lose 20 or 30 lbs you can assume you will remain the same bf%. Your objective is to lose fat while minimizing the amount of lbm lost. That's where resistance training an adequate protein consumption a key, to preserve as much lbm as possible. So if you lose as much of the 20 or 30 lbs as you can in fat with as little lbm as possible your bf% will go down.

Angel. You lift heavy weights to preserve muscle while in deficit. That's why.

Okay, let's see if I can math this correctly. :laugh:

Let's say you weigh 175 lbs with 25% body fat (very unlikely, but let's go with it). That means you've got 44 (rounded up) lbs of fat. Then let's say you lose 20 lbs of fat only (because you lift weights and eat protein. You'd end up at 155 lbs but you'd have 24 lbs of fat. Your body fat percentage would be 15% (which is really really low for a woman).

Let's say instead that you lose an equal amount of fat and muscle because you don't lift. Now you still weigh 155. But you still have 34 lbs of fat (because you lost 20 but 10 was muscle). That means your body fat % is 22%.

Okay. That makes more sense. Trying to maintain the amount of muscle I have at this point. Those weren't real numbers at all, lol. I just threw out something random because I don't know my BF% and didn't want to state what I weigh. So sorry for the weird random numbers. Body fat would be lower because I didn't lose muscle. Okay. lol.

I figured :wink:

And yay! Math ftw (what are "things I've never said before in my life," Alex)
  • jklamb57
    jklamb57 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello!

I have since beginning of December last year when I started working out, reduced my weight by about 1.5 kg per week in average, while at the same time improved my strength (I keep very detailed records of my workouts) by about 4-6% in average per week.

That weight loss can only come from burning fat, while I build muscle, so you can definitely build muscle and burn fat at the same time!

I'm doing resistance training 3 times per week for about 2-2.5 hours per session, doing a full body workout with 14 exercises, 3-4 sets per exercise and between 12-20 reps per set. This is to build strength and endurance, and especially to burn as many calories as possible during workout. I also keep the intensity as high as I can within the rep range.

Only this week have I started supplementing with cardio in the form of brisk walking. I'm still too heavy to run without risk to my lower back.

In regards to diet, well, I stay completely away from carbonated drinks (including sports/energy drinks), drinking practically only water, the occasional fruit juice and a cup of coffee in the morning. I eat sensibly, focusing on getting enough protein, but not really counting calories much.

One mistake many people do is to drink sports/energy drink while (or shortly after) exercise. Unless you're an elite athlete this serves no purpose and will do more harm than good! You will in effect consume the same or more calories than you've just been working hard to lose. Just drink water!

Focusing on resistance training, with some supplemental cardio, avoiding sugars and getting enough protein is what works for me.

Congrats on the progress! :)
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    it can be done but it is an anomaly, i would just focus on finding a good strengthen training program for yourself see what happens after a good solid year of training good luck
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Its only making very little sense to me in that I won't gain big huge buff muscles and look like arnold Schwarzenegger on a deficit but I will get stronger :sad: I still cant figure out why then do they advise you to do strength training and build muscle to boost your metabolism on a deficit if your not building any muscle. Could someone tell me the benefits of strength training for someone at a deficit then:flowerforyou:

Because when you burn off the excess fat, your muscles you ahve developed will "pop"

Not trying to pat myself on the back or anything, but I don't look how I do, buy running marathons all the time.

Look at people who train for marathons and do very little weight lifting.

Yes they are skinny, and lean.
    But they don't usually look like they have muscle.....I am not saying all....but most just look like smaller versions of themselves.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

For most people water will suffice.
    If you are doing hours of exercise, like running and stuff....then sports drinks will be good to take in....
    But if you are in the gym and only doing 1 - 2 hrs a day, and trying to lose weight.....
    I would say opt for the water.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This has been a great read so far except for the few outliers who don't really know what their talking about. Subscibed!
  • cassanova792
    Options
    Yes you can build muscle and lose fat. But this just generally applies to people who are not in shape and have just started lifting weights. If you're already a veteran weightlifter, then yes it is incredibly difficult (depending on your level) if not impossible to make gains while on a deficit. The best you can do at that point is maintain.

Also, there i no such thing as spot reduction in terms of fat loss. You can't just specifically target a body part to make it lose weight, your body does not work that way. You can however, strengthen your muscle for that area. In your case you need to work on your core through various abdominal excercises as well as doing compound excercises.

For all you ladies that don't want to lift weights because you don't want to turn like the Hulk - well im here to tell you that you wont. Building muscle takes a really LONG time and is something that happens GRADUALLY not overnight. Imagine how many of us dudes would be happy if the latter were true. It is already hard enough for us guys to make gains naturally, let alone look like Arnold Schwarzenegger - it is that much harder for a girl because of estrogen. Point is, spend less time being a cardio bunny and do more work lifting weights. I promise, you will not look like the she-hulk overnight no matter how hard you try.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yes a few small select group of people under the right conditions can build muscle and lose fat. But this just generally applies to people who are not in shape and have just started lifting weights. If you're already a veteran weightlifter, then yes it is incredibly difficult (depending on your level) if not impossible to make gains while on a deficit. The best you can do at that point is maintain.

Also, there i no such thing as spot reduction in terms of fat loss. You can't just specifically target a body part to make it lose weight, your body does not work that way. You can however, strengthen your muscle for that area. In your case you need to work on your core through various abdominal excercises as well as doing compound excercises.

For all you ladies that don't want to lift weights because you don't want to turn like the Hulk - well im here to tell you that you wont. Building muscle takes a really LONG time and is something that happens GRADUALLY not overnight. Imagine how many of us dudes would be happy if the latter were true. It is already hard enough for us guys to make gains naturally, let alone look like Arnold Schwarzenegger - it is that much harder for a girl because of estrogen. Point is, spend less time being a cardio bunny and do more work lifting weights. I promise, you will not look like the she-hulk overnight no matter how hard you try.

fixed that for you.

everything else is spot on.

And yes- women bulking- heh- takes years- iz hard hard work. god that gets old- I wish that mythical place of "over night bulking" existed- I'd be there/fly there/ walk there in a heart beat.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

For most people water will suffice.
    If you are doing hours of exercise, like running and stuff....then sports drinks will be good to take in....
    But if you are in the gym and only doing 1 - 2 hrs a day, and trying to lose weight.....
    I would say opt for the water.

I don't fuel for anything under a 10k. Unless it's a 5k race, in which case I carbo load the day before. Because tradition.

Otherwise, water before/during and chocolate milk after.