6AM Runners.... HOW ?

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    HOW do you wake up at 6am, get dressed as soon as your feet hit the floor, getting out of bed and out before the sun even comes up ?

Personally I don't, but I'm up for work at 0530 and generally get home around 2000, not getting to bed until midnight.

I usually run in the evening midweek and on Saturday and Sunday forenoons, subject to other plans. Don't tend to go out early, out around 0800, generally for the long run or for a ride.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    by going to bed in my workout clothes

That might actually help me! I won't run in my neighborhood though...when I'm out by myself at the hours the local wildlife are quite active. :noway: But I could get up, get out, and drive into town where there are plenty of streets to run and very few "critters".

Rarely do four legged animals pay any attention to the insane biped going for a run.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I can't do it. I've only tried a couple of times but it went horribly. I run after work instead.
  • meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Find a partner to do it with you.
    That was the only way I ran a few years ago to prep for my wedding.
    I live in NYC, it's "safe", but there can be some creepos so I would have never gone out that early alone, So i partnered up with a friend and because I knew she was waiting, I would drag myself out of bed at 5j30 and meet her at 6am for a run.
    After a few runs, I was on "runner's high" and no longer dragged out of bed.
  • mmmskyler
    mmmskyler Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It is definitely an adjustment.

I have been waking up at 4:40am, and getting to the gym no later than 6am every day for the last two months. Around the third week, my body had grown accustomed to the schedule and I found I was naturally getting tired earlier, easier for me to fall asleep, etc.

I used to work out after work; but recently that has become almost impossible. I find that waking up, and starting my day with exercise gives me a better attitude, more patience, and better energy throughout the day.

I really, really, really hated my life and my friend during the first three weeks thought. Haha. You can do it, just keep at it!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Nope. Nope. Nope. Can't do it. EVEN if I CAN get up early enough, my run or workout is unenjoyable at that hour. I don't feel like I can function well enough to get in a good run or workout. And afterwork does not work for me either (ha!). I am a lunch time workout/run person. Right now, I have access to showers at work. If I didn't, I would get some wipes and use to "freshen" up. (I shower every morning.) Weight lifting is an issue... I haven't been doing it. I think I am going to have to suck it up and do some weight lifting in the evening.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:00 a.m.. Stretch and on the road. I'm usually home and out of the shower by 6:10 when my wife gets up so we are not in each others way. Plus I sit and have my coffee and relax before heading to work. For me, early morning runs are the best, especially in the summer when the temp is in the 90s. Now it's just habit. I don't even set a alarm, I wake up and got. By 8:30 - 9:00 pm I'm ready for bed.lol
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    When I have an AM skate, sometimes I'll sleep in the clothes I need to wear that morning.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 to run. It is a bit of an adjustment, but I got used ot it really quick. First, you can't burn the candle at both ends. So you have to ensure you get to bed at a decent time the night before. Secondly, when you get up drink a 16oz bottle of water. That will not only wake you up but it will get the organs going. I love running early in the morning and even when I am forced to go to the gym I enjoy getting my workout done early in my day.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I wake up everyday at 5:50am to either wog or circuit train. Gives me a little wiggle room if I snooze my alarm a couple times. It was difficult in the beginning, but it has become pretty routine with time.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I just can't work out out at 6am...so I start around 4am. It's the only time of the day that works for me for most of the year. In the end, when there is a will, there is a way. For me, it's about establishing a rhythm.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am hit the gym by 4:45 and get done by 6:30 BUT that is for strength workouts, for some reason I just cannot muster up a run in themorning, so I go at lunch. I am lucky enough to work on a military base, so I can run and use the gym to shower, then get back towork
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 6AM every weekday. Out the door between 6:15 and 6:30. Weekends are different--get up whenever. But if I don't do it in the AM, it won't get done.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I generally go to bed around midnight. There's no way I'm getting up at 4am to go running. I workout at night. It is just a matter of what fits your schedule.

And please, unless you're a hermit and are never around people, please shower. Baby powder just isn't going to cut it after a hard run.
  • captainheadkick
    captainheadkick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Baby powder? I don't even understand that reference.....but I'm a guy, what do I know. lol

I used to be a morning runner. Loved it. Want to get back to it, and will once the weather is nicer. It was still -5 this morning. I have been getting up occasionally to go the gym for 6:00 am classes. That needs me out of bed at 5:20. It's not bad if you can get to bed by 10:00 at THE LATEST!

Morning runs leave you pumped, refreshed, and ready for the day. You're also sharper than everyone else at work until at least noon. lol
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I guess you have to want it bad enough. I personally don't. I am perfectly fine with going to the gym at 7:30pm.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I am not a 6AM runner.. it's just impossible given the time I go to bed (11PM-12AM or later). I do run though within 3 hours of rising, after the kids are off and I get to the gym. I need about 30 minutes minimum to shake the tired feeling after waking up. After that I am gold. My strength and cardio are often fasted too, I'd work out earlier if my schedule allowed. Not much to it.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My husband used to work in 4 week rotations, so every 4 weeks my run time would have to change in order to solve the childcare dilemma! I have run as early at 4am and as late as 8pm and sometime all I can get in is a 5k walk on my lunch, but I make an attempt to move almost every day.

I hate waking up, that moment when you are woken from slumber and all I want is to close my eyes and go back-RUNNING is the only thing that feels better than falling back to sleep :)

I naturally have a senior citizens bedtime- I am tired by 7pm most nights, I strain to stay up with my kids, clean up kitchen, pack lunches n that but you can bet by 8pm i am in pj mode with the mattress heather cranked and I am on my way to la la land :) But only if I get a good slumber so I crave a morning run, so set yourself up with some rules, think safety, hydration and adequate rest when you are motivated you will make a plan and stick to it.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if you morning runners who do it primarily as you feel you won't do it later in the day, feel that you are able to work as hard/ get as much out of it? If so what's your secret? I can get up and go out there but I can never work as hard as I can in the afternoon , I just don't have the energy. Any tips? I'd love to get my workout done before work.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I hate getting up in the morning, but I do it anyway. Between work and kids, the morning is the only time I know I can get it done. I've tried to sleep a little later and go after work but something always comes up. I lift M-W-F, cycle or run T-T-S-S.

One trick is to drink a large glass of water before you go to bed. Then, when the alarm wakes you up, it is impossible to go back to sleep.