toning your butt

Options
2»

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are already big enough to handle all of the things you regularly do, like walking up stairs. If they weren't, you wouldn't be able to walk up stairs.

If you want a muscle to actually get bigger, you need to put more of a challenge to it than what it regularly encounters.
  • redmohca89
    redmohca89 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for all the awesome tips and advice,
    I will try a bit of everything :)

Thanks again!!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    squats
    lunges
    weighted sled pushes

Why no hip thrusts? I still don't get why so many people are ignoring these in favour of squats/dead lifts/lunges. They have been shown to have the highest rate of glute activation. Still need to do the other exercise but hip thrusts are a must in my book if you're aiming to grow your glutes

I have never done a hip thrust...just squats and deadlifts...my butt is great.

I have watched videos and to be frank hip thrusts don't look comfortable and they look dangerous if you aren't quite sure what to do....

and yes I have tried them...I don't like them at all.

There are progressions you can do (starting from body weight) and I suppose like any exercise they could be dangerous if done wrong. No more so than dead lifts or squats though (maybe even less). Like any exercise if you take your time to learn correct form and work up appropriately then you should be fine. They can be a little uncomfortable once you get up to a higher weight but appropriate padding between yourself and the bar fixes this.

http://bretcontreras.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-hip-thrust/

I suppose if you're happy with your butt then that's great but for those of us who need a little extra work or who have poor glute genetics these are key. There are a lot of people who have terrible glute activation and don't really use their glutes properly in day to day life and in exercise (like squats, DLs, running) and I think these can definitely help.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I do strength training Fitnessblender videos for lower body a few times a week and they incorporate squats, ski squats, jumping squats sumo squats, lunges, curtsy lunges, pulse lunges, dead lifts, hips thrusts, side lunges ..im sure there are more I haven't mentioned. ..LOL...I do all with dumbells and barbells with weights. Each workout has a variety of different exercises to workout that booty.

But if you don't want to do a variety of lower butt and thigh exercises stick with squats and lunges with weights.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    squats
    lunges
    weighted sled pushes

Why no hip thrusts? I still don't get why so many people are ignoring these in favour of squats/dead lifts/lunges. They have been shown to have the highest rate of glute activation. Still need to do the other exercise but hip thrusts are a must in my book if you're aiming to grow your glutes

I have watched videos and to be frank hip thrusts don't look comfortable and they look dangerous if you aren't quite sure what to do....

There are progressions you can do (starting from body weight) and I suppose like any exercise they could be dangerous if done wrong. No more so than dead lifts or squats though (maybe even less). Like any exercise if you take your time to learn correct form and work up appropriately then you should be fine. They can be a little uncomfortable once you get up to a higher weight but appropriate padding between yourself and the bar fixes this.

I suppose if you're happy with your butt then that's great but for those of us who need a little extra work or who have poor glute genetics these are key. There are a lot of people who have terrible glute activation and don't really use their glutes properly in day to day life and in exercise (like squats, DLs, running) and I think these can definitely help.

I understand that I just don't like them...I remember this discussion last year sometime and I read comments from those who liked them and more (many more comments) from those who didn't see the point.

There was quite the debate going from what they were, what they did, who should do them etc...

I did my own research and eh...I stick with my squats for the compound movement.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Stairs are a really great way to tone the butt. Also, there's this girl with a youtube channel called blogilates. She has workouts for everything, and they are extremely tiring. Highly recommended to watch her videos.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This has been my mission as well. I just tried a "butt and thigh" workout today and if the shaking in my legs is any indication, I think it's a good one. http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/At-Home-Butt-and-Thigh-Workout-Video-with-Cardio-Intervals-Fat-Burning-Cardio-Lower-Body-Toning/i2/
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    curtsey squats!
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges and skater squats!

I honestly think any kind of squats and lunges do wonders. Forget the other crud.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned Straight Leg Deadlifts? I have done all kinds of barbell squats, lunges, hip thrusts, DLs etc and SLDL is the only thing that challenges my glutes (and can actually produce DOMS.)

I think good mornings are very similar to SLDL in that aspect, too.

(The bar I used for hip thrusts was so heavy that I could feel a significant sheer force on my spine, which is why I stopped doing them.)
  • dpersaud
    dpersaud Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey , My suggestion would be to look on Pintrest.SO many options for working out and great eating ideas.
    Hopes this helps :):smile:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    squats
    lunges
    weighted sled pushes

I understand that I just don't like them...I remember this discussion last year sometime and I read comments from those who liked them and more (many more comments) from those who didn't see the point.

There was quite the debate going from what they were, what they did, who should do them etc...

I did my own research and eh...I stick with my squats for the compound movement.

FYI, hip thrusters are a compound movement also. If you don't like then, that's okay (although there are a lot of things I don't like that are good for me), it doesn't mean the OP shouldn't give them a go. For some people squats don't really target the glutes enough and tend to work the quads more, it's just dependent on physiology