Low Carb and gout anyone else have this problem

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?
    Yea, don't go low carb. It's not a healthy and sustainable way to eat. You can lose weight fast, but inflammatory diseases, like gout, and many others, are made worse. The healthiest foods on the planet are fruits and vegetables, and they are mostly high carb foods. You can lose a lot of weight eating a fruit and vegetable diet, AND remain healthy and free from disease.

Please stop spreading this on every thread.
    Please do not give medical advise for this diet. You are not his doctor, or a nutritionist.
    Please feel free to share your personal diet, but don't be touting it everywhere as a one-size fits all cure for everyone. It isn't.

Also:
    Tomatoes aren't high carb.
    Kale isn't high carb.
    Zucchini isn't high carb.
    Carrot isn't high carb.
    Pepper isn't high carb.

The only high carb veggie I could find on a whim is potatoes. And those are not a viable basis for a lifestyle change.
    So basically, you'd advising this man to eat his weight in produce every day to meet your advisement of high carb goals, which will magically cure his disease? Right.
  • bnybanker
    bnybanker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know what you are saying- I learned the hard way that tuna fish is a BIG TRIGGER!!!
  • bnybanker
    Options
    I do eat very low carb (5%), and moderate protiens (20%)-the rest is simply made up of higher fat!
  • bnybanker
    Options
    As I stated several times- I am not eating high protien. I've learned this lesson a while ago. I am eating a low carb, moderate protien (under 100g/day) NOT alot of meat or shellfish. The ketogenic diet is a HIGH FAT det (which should not cause a purine proble) The nearest I can tell- if my diet becomes too low calorie- my body produces more uric acid as the body's response to burning fat stores and producing more end-products that raise uric acid levels in the blood, which, unanble to dissolve, crystalize and settle in the joints. BUT I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT-so am stuck with producing too much uric acid as I diet?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    As I stated several times- I am not eating high protien. I've learned this lesson a while ago. I am eating a low carb, moderate protien (under 100g/day) NOT alot of meat or shellfish. The ketogenic diet is a HIGH FAT det (which should not cause a purine proble) The nearest I can tell- if my diet becomes too low calorie- my body produces more uric acid as the body's response to burning fat stores and producing more end-products that raise uric acid levels in the blood, which, unanble to dissolve, crystalize and settle in the joints. BUT I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT-so am stuck with producing too much uric acid as I diet?

Have you considered talking to a nutritionist? Given your medical history, a nutritionist may be able to help you create a meal plan to get you to your goals, without having too much of an impact on your gout. Might also be a good idea to speak to your doctor, if you're finding these uric acid spikes when your calories dip too low. You can find a happy medium!
  • bnybanker
    Options
    Thanks- I believe that your recommendation to hydrate better is well founded. It is suggested in all I read, but maybe not emphazed enough. I do increase my water intake AFTER I experience problems, but maybe need to stay hydrated better TO PREVENT attacks before they start. Thank you.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_4811512_foods-that-trigger-gout.html << this may help sometimes meats will trigger gout attacks

I work with someone with gout and one of his big triggers is seafood

Maybe try getting some of your proteins from other sources like beans?
  • moylek
    moylek Posts: 27
    Options
    The article "Gout: The Missing Chapter from Grood Calories, Bad Calories" on Tim Ferris' web site is worth a read ...

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/10/05/gout/

Here's one of the key bits ...

"The evidence arguing for sugar or fructose as the primary cause of gout is two-fold. First, the distribution of gout in western populations has paralleled the availability of sugar for centuries, and not all refined carbohydrates in this case. It was in the mid-17th century, that gout went from being exclusively a disease of the rich and the nobility to spread downward and outward through British society, reaching near epidemic proportions by the 18th century. Historians refer to this as the “gout wave,”(16) and it coincides precisely with the birth and explosive growth of the British sugar industry(17) and the transformation of sugar, in the words of the anthropologist Sydney Mintz, from “a luxury of kings into the kingly luxury of commoners.”(18) "

It's not *simply* a matter of sugar intake, and neither Taubes nor Ferris make that claim. And there is certainly a correlation with obesity.

My own experience is that if I keep my beer, bread, and sugar intake down, I can usually eat whatever I want as far as meat, cheese, and shellfish go (these being classic triggers).
  • bnybanker
    Options
    thank you for your suggestions. beans are both protein and starches- i.e. carbs, so I don't want to go that route.
  • bnybanker
    Options
    i'm eating very low carb, which means no sugar, no fruits, no beer etc I realize that there may be a relationhip with sugar and gout, but that is my issue- I'm not touching sugars and carbs //
  • bnybanker
    Options
    FYI---Atkins died because he slipped on an icy sidewalk and banged his head- the dying of his diet is au urban legend
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    FYI---Atkins died because he slipped on an icy sidewalk and banged his head- the dying of his diet is au urban legend
    That's one of the things that lots of anti-meat (vegan/vegetarian/peta/etc) organizations and activists continue to claim.

There's a good write-up on Atkins health conditions and the events around his death here: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atkinsdiet/a/dratkinsdeath.htm
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Well I know that.... But she refuses to believe it...
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm also low-carb and paleo. Gout runs in my family. I suspect I've had some flare-ups, but they never lasted long enough to see a doctor, so I can't say for sure that I have it.

For understanding the science about low-carb and the issues that people associate with it (as well as finding support), I find www.marksdailyapple.com to be my best resource. And My Fitness Pal community to be my worst resource (Funny how many people that responded to you apparently don't get how low-carb works. Or don't have gout. Why are they responding then? Rant over.)
    The writers of Mark's Daily Apple are really good at dissecting the research so normal people can understand it, and sticking to actual research, not rumors or mere perception.

Anyway, here's a link to an article on Marks' Daily Apple about gout. I hope it helps:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gout-primal-paleo-diet/#axzz2xb1ORBTb
  • jrose1982
    Options
    I just wrote a really long response that isn't really worth reading. Since I can't seem to figure out how to delete it, editing it will have to do.

Have a nice day :D
  • jrose1982
    Options
    As for hydrating...

Don't forget, that the first pounds you lose on low-carb are usually water weight. I can't remember why, but your body flushes out a lot of water while you're transitioning. So, add that to the case for hydration.
  • moylek
    moylek Posts: 27
    Options
    i'm eating very low carb, which means no sugar, no fruits, no beer etc I realize that there may be a relationhip with sugar and gout, but that is my issue- I'm not touching sugars and carbs //

Gout is a funny beast - for such a common problem, it seems very ill understood. If you followed everyone's advise, I guess you would have to cut out most of the protein, the fat, *and* the carbs. Have you tried that?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    don't eat low carb. eat balanced macros, aim for 40/30/30 instead.

if your diet is making a medical condition worse, then don't do that diet. There are other ways to get/stay lean. Balanced macros works fine. Seems like you need to eat a certain amount of carbs to be healthy, so that means you have to eat them.
  • bnybanker
    Options
    Thank you very much for a nice post and some good advise.
  • bnybanker
    Options
    Sorry- After a good deal of careful research, I firmly believe that sugar and grains are basically not handled well by the human body and are to be avoided. I don't really want to open a debate this point. It is just what I accept as the "Truth" But I really do appreciate your advise and suggestions. T hank you.