personal trainer pissed off!

Options
12346»

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Try being in medicine, where people who dont follow instructions and are non compliant do crazy things like die.

I can't think of a more frustrating profession than medical doctor in terms of your own education and experience versus who you have to interact with on a daily basis.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    thanks Barb, yeah I'm not there to slap a hand every time a client I'm working with makes a mistake.

I'm there to motivate, educate, and make sure a client understands exactly how to safely perform an exercise as well as achieve goals for nutrition and fitness. Its not that hard to change your physique, but it sure as hell hard to change lazy, and as in advance certified personal trainer there's no way I could ever change that.

I don't want to be mean, I'm absolutely not that kind trainer. But those clients who expect me to constantly text message them, post on their Facebook pages, and call them up to make sure that they're following the plan they said they could follow, I can only work with those for about a month. especially when they complain within 2 weeks of how is just not working. Let's be real here, I have to tell them no you are not working.

so this is a wake up call to all of you people out there who hire a personal trainer. There are trainers like me out there who refuse to do your job. If you cannot follow the paid plan that you purchased, no amount of miracle working is going to occur. Yes it is extremely difficult to diet and to be disciplined enough to exercise. In some cases changing the exercise mindset that you have is the worst and most excruciatingly painful thing you will ever perform in your entire life. But when I advocate my clients in the exercise science and nutrition of why they must change, the logic is there yet they still backslide. it is not the trainers responsibility to work a miracle everytime you backslide.

For all you lame people out there too refuse to follow logic and exercise science, please do us a favor and just go to the local YMCA and don't ever hire a personal trainer. Cuz you just give personal trainers a tough time and a bad name.

and yes, if you can't follow a six week plan at 100 percent I guess I'm a very condescending personal trainer. but I sure do give awesome results for those who can follow my plan which is so easy to do....

People hire personal trainer because they think it's a short cut. There is no short cut to this. It's eat right and work hard. We (I'm a personal trainer too), are educated and trained. Do what we say and get the results you want. That's all there is to it.
    I push my clients and follow their nutrition because it both sides of the coin that works. You can't have one with out the other.
    Personally I'm on your side.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    Do you need a tissue
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    I had a personal trainer once and I asked her to help me work on my cardio so my lungs would feel better when I train at kickboxing. I went to every single appointment and she only made me do the same weight routine they had for goodlife the fit fix thing they show you at orentation. If I'm paying extortion prices for something and they are not producing I should not just listen and do what they say because they have a fancy diploma. I understand if I wasn't putting an effort into it but I did and I kept asking for her to help me with my cardio and she would say "next appointment" then rush me through the fit fix workout again. :/
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I get your frustration... I really do. I worked at a grocery deli counter for years and got treated as worthless or without intelligence plenty. I'm now a 'professional' and I have clients who are awesome but change their minds a lot :p
    That being said, it is a tad arrogant to assume that everyone who doesn't progress as expected doesn't follow the plan - because bodies are evil and you just never know.
    Also, I have been working with a pt specifically because I am 'fat and lazy'. The reality is that I always find 50 things that are more urgent than working out at home. So I pay her because that makes me show up and because she comes up with my program. She knows I don't do additional workouts at home (though I do take additional classes). The road to hell is paved with good intentions - some of your clients just suck at managing at time or motivating themselves to exercise because they don't actually like it. It probably isn't just that they suck in general ;)

P.s. When my pt gave me a suggested nutrition guideline, I told her straight up it wouldn't work for me. I know I have blood sugar issues and I have done a crap ton of my own research and I knew her plan was not sustainable for me. She had the wisdom to recognize that it wasn't an insult and to realize that I had managed to lose 40 lbs or so and might not need fixing in that dept
  • Bammitssamm
    Bammitssamm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I get this. Try being an Elementary School teacher though...those little turds rarely do what you want them to!

Wow, I hope you never teach my child. It would break my heart to know that a teacher called my child a "little turd". Maybe you are in the wrong vocation.

Let's be honest, all kids are little turds. I was a little turd, you were a little turd, even the teacher was a little turd at one point too.
    If a teacher said that all of her/his students were angels, i'd call total BS! They're dealing with pure chaos all the time!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I get this. Try being an Elementary School teacher though...those little turds rarely do what you want them to!

Wow, I hope you never teach my child. It would break my heart to know that a teacher called my child a "little turd". Maybe you are in the wrong vocation.

Probably. Mine own kids are turds though...what can I say?

It's a bit dangerous to have your picture up on a post where you call your students names. This is the Internet and you don't know if anyone from your admin or parents of students are on MFP. Unprofessional to the max.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

I was thinking the exact same thing. And I am an elementary teacher.

I was actually trying to illustrate that EVERYONE feels frustrated with their jobs at time, b/c it often happens that people "don't listen to you" whether it be clients, students, co-workers, subordinates, etc. etc. etc. Since when did this get turned around on me? Maybe you people should take your frustration with me out at the gym...with a personal trainer maybe.
    Yes, everyone does get frustrated at times, but it's not necessary to call children turds.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    What about people that are fat *and* work their *kitten* off and aren't trying to change their physique? What about people with performance goals? I just hope I'm not a terrible disappointment to my trainer, because he's an awesome motivator and great at coaching my lifts and designing my programming.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Do you need a tissue

lol
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mnnjhprRld1rrgn2so1_500.jpg

I'm an advanced certified personal trainer and can make anyone have the physique they want, if they follow my plan. I spend so much time laying out instructions, customizing and educating that client. Occasionally I get a lame client who doesn't do exactly what the plan is.

DSC00627.jpg
    not going to kill lame *kitten* client who is not doing what he has been instructed to do.... not going to kill lame *kitten* client.....

AND
    going to train with another trainer who contradicts everything I tell you to do, then you complain to me about you are not improving =
    Crap_Im_Stuck_600x930_540.jpg

Will you people who pay CPTs please make our life and your lives easier? DO WHAT YOUR TRAINER TELLS YOU TO DO.

fitness_20.jpeg

Trainers like you are the reason why I'd never pay anyone to be my personal trainer.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I just hired a personal trainer. I listen and do pretty much everything he says. However, sometimes the client knows their body better than you as a trainer. Example, last week, he had me do some seriously intense drills and I felt light headed. No matter what he said, I couldn't finish, and I'm not going to kill myself. Second, he's trying to restrict my calories to 1200 a day and limit carbs (I only eat around 100g a day, how I should restrict that more, I have no idea)..I've successfully lost 12 lbs in just over 2 weeks of training eating about 2300 calories a day. As a diabetic, and as someone who's actually fairly active now, And who's over 300 lbs and 6 feet tall, 1200 calories a day won't cut it. Just because I do my own thing on certain things doesn't mean I'm disregarding what my trainer says. I work damn hard and I will continue to do so. A trainer should be adaptable and not use a one size fits all approach.

Just putting a different perspective on the situation
  • rfaljean
    rfaljean Posts: 1
    Options
    I have an awesome trainer who truly has become vested in my successes and pushes me to my fullest potential. With his help I've lost 108 lbs in 10 months and am now training for my first 1/2 marathon. I listen to his diet advice and have done every workout to my best ability.

But I have tons of questions regarding what I can and can't eat and where I should go with my program or what exercises I should do or how to do them, etc.

For the CPT's out there, do you consider clients who do what they are told but frequently ask questions a pain? Or would you rather the clients ask you the questions instead of doing their own thing?
  • Tofteberg
    Tofteberg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think venting can be a healthy activity. Knowing where and when to vent is also important! I counseled substance abusing clients for years. This is a group that doesn't always follow advice and rules! I learned to measure success in smaller bites and came to realize that every client learns something in the time you spend with them. Maybe they won't reach their goals this time around, but something you teach them today may help them tomorrow! Keep on training and vent with your peers instead of on public forums. For the teacher: My son was smart and fun but also energetic and talkative. I'll bet turd wasn't the only thing that ever went through a teachers mind!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse. You think dealing with healthy people as a certified trainer is difficult? Try dealing with them when they're sick and in pain. Not only are you on the patient's $h!t list when you tell him no he can't have another pain pill, the doctor wrote one every six hours and it's only been two, but you are also attacked by families, pharmacists, other nurses (oh, yes, the phrase "nursing eats its young" is completely true), housekeepers, chaplains, social workers, the state and JCAHO inspectors, don't forget those that are lawsuit happy, etc., etc. Patient and family attitudes are difficult to take but understandable. The rest less so.

Oh, yeah, don't forget the non-adherent patients. Those that decide they don't need to take their medication, can't afford it because cigarettes, booze or meth is more important, or have found a "natural" (read: useless) concoction given to them by some guy that their cousin's brother-in-law knows who sells the, at best useless, at worst deadly, crap from a lawn chair on a street corner.

I've worked every Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's for the last five years. All day.

I'm not posting this to whine , although admittedly I did more than a little of that, I am posting this to remind the OP and the above ^^ they are not the only ones whose jobs require dealing with difficult personalities. Whining on chat rooms is unprofessional and gives the impression that trainers are drags on society - I'm sure most aren't.

I wasn't whining- just pointing out that people treat you like crap- I never suggested or would think to imply this is one of the most intense and thankless jobs ever in existence or that PT's are special snowflakes who risk life and limb for clients. Please come on now- I never once insinuated that.

my point still stands that it's a customer service job- and people walk on you like doormates- and that's true for a LOT of professions.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That's funny! My friend calls her son her "little turd." And to be sure, the new baby is NOT "Mama's little turd." Her son will make that clear that only he is "Mama's little turd."

Maybe you need a sense of humor. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Probably. Mine own kids are turds though...what can I say?

It's a bit dangerous to have your picture up on a post where you call your students names. This is the Internet and you don't know if anyone from your admin or parents of students are on MFP. Unprofessional to the max.

Gag me with a spoon!

e53d7f8067067a51029cde8260094ff5867b10ab6676b1d493c8dd8d23c4571b.jpg
  • watsoncashannon
    Options
    u r so right!