Personal Chef Here! Ask Me Anything!

Options

Replies

• drocknoel
    drocknoel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First of all, you're awesome. Definitely going to try some of the ideas that you've already posted! :)

I'm always looking for more pasta sauce ideas. Do you have a favorite non-tomato based sauce?
    Haha thanks! I try :P

I made a butternut squash-parmesan sauce that was absolutely amazing, but it was loaded with cheese and cream.

The nice thing about pasta is you can throw pretty much any sauce on it and it will be good. Wine-based sauces are also good, plus the alcohol in it evaporates, eliminating those calories. If you do try out a wine-based sauce, remember this saying: "If it's not good enough to drink, it's not good enough to cook with."

There are also butter sauces, if you cook in butter. Or you can make an easy meal that I used in a cooking competition called "______ a la meuniere", where _______ is a fish like trout. It also works with salmon or other mild-flavored whitefish (sole, perch, etc.). Basically you cook the fish in butter, then once it's done cooking remove it from the pan and set aside. Pour a moderate amount of lemon juice into the butter and whisk, allowing the sauce to brown a bit. Pour it over the fish and serve. Not exactly super healthy because of the butter, but if you plan your day around knowing you're going to indulge on fat a little bit later on you'll be fine.
    WOW... amazing and Thank you!!! Just tagging along for the ride. i know i will want to reference this later.
    thanks again! flowerforyou
    You're very welcome! Feel free to ask if any questions come up! I'll do my best to respond :)
  • drocknoel
    Options
    I love sashimi. If I make it myself can I use any fresh fish from the grocery store? Does it have to be anything special? I don't want to get sick.
    Making sashimi/sushi at home can be risky. I usually suggest that clients opt for smoked salmon or crab meat if they want to make it at home. If you're dead set on sashimi, my recommendation is to find a reputable asian market and buy ahi or yellowfin tuna. Ahi is a higher quality but is also way more expensive.

I would shy away from using any ol' fresh fish from the grocery store since you really have no idea if they have completely followed safe storage practices (thawing out then refreezing, leaving out of the cooler, etc.) and the only way to not get sick is to make sure it's in good condition and to cook it.

You *might* be able to get away with raw sockeye salmon, which is the salmon most often used for smoking.
  • quietair
    quietair Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! My name is Derek and I'm a Personal Chef in Michigan and I am also a consultant at a local gym. I just figured I'd offer up my advice on any food-related topic you might ask. Keep in mind that I am NOT a certified nutritionist or dietitian by any means (not yet, at least), but my profession and focus is based in healthy eating so I do have a pretty good idea about the subject.

That being said, ask away!

How can I make my tomato consomme' clear? I've seen it before, but never asked about the technique.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    What size underwear do you wear?
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response! the zero salt & low carb is just a temporary thing, I have a weigh-in on Sunday so i'm trying to drop the water weight for that, then I'll go back to my more normal (healthier) diet.
  • drocknoel
    Options
    How can I make my tomato consomme' clear? I've seen it before, but never asked about the technique.
    May I ask if you are cooking it or if you are making it from raw tomatoes?
    Who says I wear underwear?
    Thanks for the response! the zero salt & low carb is just a temporary thing, I have a weigh-in on Sunday so i'm trying to drop the water weight for that, then I'll go back to my more normal (healthier) diet.
    Ah, alright. You had me a little worried with that one haha. You should be able to take in a small load of sodium from meats without having to really worry about water weight though.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    nvm
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    May I ask if you are cooking it or if you are making it from raw tomatoes?
    Who says I wear underwear?

u win
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Thanx for doing this. I eat a lot of rainbow trout and I'm looking for something different, easy and quick if that's possible.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Train A leaves the station at 1:38 PM and travels at 45 MPH.

Train B leaves at 1:45 PM and travels at 48 MPH.

How long will it take train B to pass train A?
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I love sashimi. If I make it myself can I use any fresh fish from the grocery store? Does it have to be anything special? I don't want to get sick.
    Making sashimi/sushi at home can be risky. I usually suggest that clients opt for smoked salmon or crab meat if they want to make it at home. If you're dead set on sashimi, my recommendation is to find a reputable asian market and buy ahi or yellowfin tuna. Ahi is a higher quality but is also way more expensive.

I would shy away from using any ol' fresh fish from the grocery store since you really have no idea if they have completely followed safe storage practices (thawing out then refreezing, leaving out of the cooler, etc.) and the only way to not get sick is to make sure it's in good condition and to cook it.

You *might* be able to get away with raw sockeye salmon, which is the salmon most often used for smoking.

Ok thank you:)
  • drocknoel
    Options
    Thanx for doing this. I eat a lot of rainbow trout and I'm looking for something different, easy and quick if that's possible.
    Wildcaught sockeye salmon is super good, perch can be good if cooked correctly, dover sole is nice but super expensive. Chicken breast is one of the most versatile proteins there is. Stick with flaky fish (not stuff like orange roughy). I don’t mind tilapia. Flounder is absolutely amazing when used in fish and chips. I’m not the biggest fan of cod or walleye, which is funny because I live in Michigan. My absolute favorite fish is Halibut.

2 hours, 20 minutes, and one second, assuming they both left the station at precisely 0 seconds?
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ^^^ bump ^^^
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

2 hours, 20 minutes, and one second, assuming they both left the station at precisely 0 seconds?

Waynes-World-Were-not-Worthy.gif
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Okay, *now* I'm in...

:laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I get 3:30 PM, which would be 1 hour 45 minutes from when B started.

(With them each having gone 84 miles.)
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hey I can help with this, I LOVE curry (just had some tonight), and here's an easy way to make a great curry.

The first step is to head to your local indian grocers. They have tons of little jars and boxes of different pastes - tandoori, marsala, tikki, madrass and vindaloo to name a few. They have dried powders of the same thing, which also work.

cut onions and green pepper into strips and add whatever veggies you like. I like mushrooms, maybe zuchini.
    Saute in a little oil

Cut up a boneless skinless chicken thigh and saute as well. No need to add any more oil

Mix 1/2 to 1 cup of plain yougurt with about 1 tsp of corn starch. You can use non-fat but it tends to get a bit watery. Add a tablespoon or more of the tikki paste (your preferance) to the yogurt and mix well.

With the veg and chicken in the skillet, add the yogurt mixture and heat through. Feel free to add a few raisens if you like, then serve.

The corn starch stops the yogurt from separating, and makes a nice, rich sauce. You may have to add a little chicken broth to thin.

Yummm - I am so stealing this one!
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You are one awesome guy to give us your time and wisdom. Thank you do much.
    My boyfriend LOVES cheese but because of a medical condition he has to cut his sodium intake way down. Know of any good low sodium brands that are still melty? Or is the salt just part of the territory?