If 'eating clean' is so easy for you, how did you get fat?

Options

Replies

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I started eating clean recently. I got fat after eating boxes of brownies, bags of cookies, 3 sandwiches in a day, anything and everything from the frozen section, pasta (mac and cheese and those sidekick type of things), chicken fingers, cheese and crackers (not in moderation), and eating fast food almost every day.

So eating clean made me lose weight because I'm not eating so much cr@p. 57lbs lost in 5.5 months. Yea I'll stick to eating clean.

Processed food was my food for 35+ years. I am curious what my body would look like now if I had been eating more clean food instead. I wonder if I wouldn't have problems with blood sugar and vision, muscle fatigue and sloth, TV addiction, wine use, procrastination. All of those years wasted because I was too lazy to cook for myself!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I started eating clean recently. I got fat after eating boxes of brownies, bags of cookies, 3 sandwiches in a day, anything and everything from the frozen section, pasta (mac and cheese and those sidekick type of things), chicken fingers, cheese and crackers (not in moderation), and eating fast food almost every day.

So eating clean made me lose weight because I'm not eating so much cr@p. 57lbs lost in 5.5 months. Yea I'll stick to eating clean.

It's not the fooad that created your overweightness, it was the fact you ate too much of it.
    You lost weight because you cut down on your caloric intake.

Exactly this. My extended family, parents, etc., are all farm-raised country folk who make and eat everything from scratch. They eat all their fruits and vegetables, too. They just eat a lot of it. A LOT of it.
  • Erin29ga
    Erin29ga Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The whole term "clean eating" confuses me, and scares the hell out of me. A friend of mine "eats clean" and has had awesome sucess..in a very short amount of time..not good. Not for me..If I want a candy bar...I'm gonna eat one...If I'm on vacation with my family and we eat out, I'm not gonna worry about how "clean" the food is. I'm going to eat what I want to eat..not gonna have food rule my life, and worry about whether something is "clean" or not. Pffft.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was brought up on junk/processed foods. As I'm sure a lot of people were/are. I didn't eat well, or in proportion for a long time because I didn't really know how to and adverse effects of such a lifestyle were not apparent in my childhood. I was very, very active as a kid, so I was burning off all the excess calories. But, then I left school and the exercise tapered off, but the diet remained unchanged. It started slowly at first, but lbs started to creep on, and then loads of lbs.

Since then I've had to re-educate myself with regards to food, and now eat a lot more 'real' (ie, non processed) food. I'm not overly strict and do eat processed stuff occasionally, but not very often. And I had to go through the whole 'diet/low fat food' phase to get here. I'm also exercising regularly again.

Don't forget that gaining weight is not only about hunger. Or poor food education. A lot of it is emotional. I lost all that weight, and maintained it for a couple years and then I had a really ****y and stressful year and used food as a comfort, in a big way. Things are on an even keel again now and so I re-started my healthy lifestyle (several weeks before I found MFP).

Just wanted to point out that becoming fat in the first instance, is more likely down to upbringing rather than difficulty sticking to a certain lifestyle. What you do about as an adult though, is all you.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i'm sure what they mean to say is "since i've decided to commit to being healthy, it has been easy"

before, they ate what they wanted and didn't care, now that they made the commitment to being healthy, they realized how easy it is for them.... i am NOT one of those people, it is a struggle for me, but that's just my two cents.

THIS^^ i wasnt eating a bad diet, just too much. had no concept of portion sizes, or how much i was truly eating, and since i never learned that, i never lost the baby weight, or really did much in the way of exercising. now i'm learning that, and losing, without changing my entire diet. i had already cut out a lot of junk foods and dirty foods from my diet already, ages ago, but still ate too much. it hasnt been that hard to eat the correct portion of chicken breast or to limit myself to one serving of ice cream or just two oreos etc, although i do have trigger foods.

(my definition of clean: if my great grandmother could make it in her kitchen, then its clean. so corn syrup is ok, but high fructose corn syrup is not, or, eat food that remembers where it came from.)
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Great post, I totally agree. I ate way too many hot pockets yesterday. I was under my goal, but I felt like having junk.

On the same note, I also don't understand the "I struggle so hard to reach 1200 calories!" people.

Really? because I exercise a ridiculous amount of restraint every day to stay under 1600... That's why I was overweight before.

This is 100% me as well. The miracle days where I'm under my calorie goal effortlessly are few & far between. Most days, I'm fighting myself all evening .

I would also say though that changing my eating habits didn't seem to be as difficult this time around as I expected it to be. Maybe I was just ready for a change, and that made it seem easy. But I think that some people really do manage to make a lifestyle change, and once they do that, 'clean' eating is easier. I personally don't eat clean, I just eat more veggies now than I used to, and it's made all the difference for me & whether I'm under my calorie goal consistently or not!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

actually it was a calorie deficet that made you lose weight....

sorry eating "clean" is a buzz word and will have no impact on weight loss if you don't do it in moderation too...

The difference is the calorie deficit is a result of eating clean. If you're eating to satiety and eating 'dirty' you'll eat a lot more than if you eat clean.

In the end, there is a caloric deficiency and that's why the weight is lost but it's not a forced deficiency and that makes a huge difference.

People only have so much willpower. If you're only staying under your calories because you stop yourself from eating (even when you're hungry), then you're going to go right back up once you stop counting calories.

People always say 'oh you'd gain weight if you ate 4000 calories/day of clean foods". Yes, that might be right, but good luck trying to reach that eating meat and vegetables. I could probably eat that in one meal going to McDonald's.

This also doesn't take into consideration the effect on BMR (and there's some good evidence that if you're hungry, your body is telling you you should eat, and if you don't eat, it negatively affects your BMR)
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey there lady!!! OK... you are right on the money with this question!! However, maybe those people used to have an unhealthy relationship with food and then had that Aha moment and changed... I will be totally honest and say i am 90% clean eating! I prepare only clean foods but i do eat at restaurants and i do go to freinds house for dinner etc. I will always moan when i think of eating a reece's peanut butter cup, but I will reserve eating them for special treats and i don't mean 4 times a year I mean maybe once a month or whatever and i am damn sure gonna have cake on my birthday and probably on my kids birthday too! BALANCE... lets chant this together... Balance your nutrition, treat yourself, be nice to yourself and love yourself no matter what you do. I can't say i have it all figured out all I can say is I'm on the right road.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Apologies for using 'fat', but overweight was too long to fit in the title.

I keep seeing so many threads about people who eat 'clean', avoid processed sugar, follow their hunger signs etc, and it seems so easy for them.

My question to those people is... if your relationship with food is so healthy... how did you get overweight in the first place?

I mean, I got fat because I love food, I'm obsessed with food (notice I didn't use 'addicted'), and it's just a huge part of my life. All my life I've just eaten what I wanted when I wanted it... I don't remember my parents ever telling me I couldn't have something. I just helped myself. I don't think I'll ever be able to just see food as sustenance... it's a pleasure. I've got much better at moderation and trying to make the most of my calories (taste-wise... I don't exactly meet my macros every day, lol), but I don't think the desire to eat more tasty food will ever go away. I'm aware it's going to be a life-long struggle.

Just really curious about this (and probably a bit jealous, lol. I wish I was one of those people for whom losing weight was easy).

Edited for bad, bad grammar.

I'm one of the so called clean eaters or should I say what many would consider clean eating. Two points. First, we have eaten this way for over 30 years. The only difference now is there are more food additives to avoid. Second, I have never been outside of what is considered the healthy weight range for my age and height. I joined MFP as part of my goal to get healthier. Clean eating does not mean you can't get 'fat' as you put it. It simply means you avoid certain food additives, pesticide residues and that type of thing. The focus in on the quality of food. Quantity of food is an entirely different thing. You can eat the healthiest food possible and still be overweight because you don't limit the quantity you eat.

Losing the weight has been easy for me likely because I do have a healthy relationship with food and understood that my main problem was not food but rather inactivity. I have gone from the high end of my healthy weight range to the low end without much effort other than increasing my activity level and being conscious of what I'm eating. I really haven't changed much with respect to what I eat other than boosting my protein. Unlike many, I don't have cravings for sweets because refined sugars have never played a huge role in our diet. I don't miss fast food because at best we may have it a couple of times a year when traveling. I don't have a lot of water retention problems because both my sugar and sodium intake is low. The thing is, I'm not trying to change the way I eat other that minor tweaking. Another thing that helps is my husband eats the same way I do so there is no problem with him enjoying a particular food that could be problematic during weight loss.

In my opinion, many start trying to lose weight without considering a long term fitness plan and they make drastic changes so both their bodies and minds rebel. A person who is used to eating 3,000 calories a day and who is getting a good portion of those calories from fast food or processed foods is going to have adjustments to make. The body is going to buck back with strong cravings, possible withdrawl symptoms like headaches and mood swings (aka hangry), and they are going to struggle to keep on track. That worsens if the losing weight is seen just as a diet and not a lifestyle change.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options

sorry eating "clean" is a buzz word and will have no impact on weight loss if you don't do it in moderation too...

The difference is the calorie deficit is a result of eating clean. If you're eating to satiety and eating 'dirty' you'll eat a lot more than if you eat clean.

In the end, there is a caloric deficiency and that's why the weight is lost but it's not a forced deficiency and that makes a huge difference.

People only have so much willpower. If you're only staying under your calories because you stop yourself from eating (even when you're hungry), then you're going to go right back up once you stop counting calories.

People always say 'oh you'd gain weight if you ate 4000 calories/day of clean foods". Yes, that might be right, but good luck trying to reach that eating meat and vegetables. I could probably eat that in one meal going to McDonald's.

This also doesn't take into consideration the effect on BMR (and there's some good evidence that if you're hungry, your body is telling you you should eat, and if you don't eat, it negatively affects your BMR)

True. Sorry I guess I put it hand in hand. I mean in terms of quantity. 2 plates of veggies and meat (and I feel ridiculously full) or a box of brownies for dinner (where I still want to eat more). You absolutely need a calorie deficit to lose weight.

I should also note the other benefits that I experienced since eating clean: lower cholesterol, reduced signs of diabetes, hair growth
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

You can eat "dirty" and still have the deficet...esp based on my understanding of clean eating.

I can eat 6oz of chicken fingers and a salad from Dairy queen and be just as full from that as I can be from eating 6oz of chicken at home...

and eating over maintenance regardless of how you do it cause weight gain..there is no might about it.

I can easily eat "dirty" food everyday and still manage to hit my macros and stay in a reasonable deficet everyday...and I am never hungry...

It's all about moderation...clean eating is a buzz word...and no amount of debate will change the fact that you can get fat eating clean just as easy as eating "dirty" and if you can eat 4000 calories in one sitting at MacDonalds and you aren't full...wow...

a quarter pounder blt has 600 calories...that is a filling burger, add a salad into that and it's at maybe 700 calories...not sure what you plan on adding to that to get to 4000 calories but it would personally make me puke.
  • ninavdd
    ninavdd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just ate too much, clean or otherwise. I would happily eaten a salad over lunch (with half a kg of feta cheese and 2 tbs of olive oil), followed by chocolate as a mid-day snack, followed by a bag of chips before dinner, followed by two full plates of a relatively healthy dinner (with waaaaay too much olive oil), followed by ... (well, you get the drift).

I eat a lot more "healthy" now because I don't feel I would be satisfied by just eating 5 chips before dinner. I rather eat a whole bowl of veggies with some hummus. So I guess, for me, the "cleaner" diet is just a matter of portion control and to be able to feel satisfied throughout the day. If I really want something, I get it, though. Otherwise, it wouldn't be sustainable for me, because, I am also quite obsessed with food :)
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Agreed. People on MFP love to chime in "Oh but caloric deficit!", while ignoring how said deficit was achieved and ignoring how certain ways of eating can make achieving such a deficit easier.

For example, if you take two people and tell them to eat until they're satiated, where one person can only eat Taco Bell crunchwraps and the other person can only eat home-cooked meats and fresh vegetables, odds are the first person will consume way more calories per day because he's eating incredibly caloricly dense foods that are not particularly satiating (at least not relative to their calorie count). Did "eating clean" help the second person lose more/gain less weight? In part, because it helped him achieve a lower average caloric intake by eating more satiating foods. Even if you put them on the same caloric intake, who's likely to be happier/more satiated? I'd have to say the second person in the vast majority of cases (I'm sure there's someone out there who bucks the trend and whose life revolves around Taco Bell).

That's not to say you can't get fat eating "clean" foods; of course you can. I'd wager that you're better off the "cleaner" you eat, though.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    herewego.jpg
  • brinabj
    brinabj Posts: 28
    Options
    i know me personally when i say its easy .. i mean once i learned how you can still eat tasty food and it can still be healthy it became easy when i first started a year ago before i even joined up here it was hard at first but the more results i saw the easier it became the more ideas i came up with for food the easier it became. I feel like once you get an understanding for food and what is more important it starts to become easier ... but i will never forget how hard it was at first :)
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

You can eat "dirty" and still have the deficet...esp based on my understanding of clean eating.

I can eat 6oz of chicken fingers and a salad from Dairy queen and be just as full from that as I can be from eating 6oz of chicken at home...

and eating over maintenance regardless of how you do it cause weight gain..there is no might about it.

I can easily eat "dirty" food everyday and still manage to hit my macros and stay in a reasonable deficet everyday...and I am never hungry...

It's all about moderation...clean eating is a buzz word...and no amount of debate will change the fact that you can get fat eating clean just as easy as eating "dirty" and if you can eat 4000 calories in one sitting at MacDonalds and you aren't full...wow...

a quarter pounder blt has 600 calories...that is a filling burger, add a salad into that and it's at maybe 700 calories...not sure what you plan on adding to that to get to 4000 calories but it would personally make me puke.

I did a calculation on McDonald's site.
    An angus burger, a large fry, a milkshake, and a turnover are 2730 calories (more than I generally net in a day). I could eat that. I'm not saying I wouldn't be full. I would be, but I could eat it without much of a problem.

I'm also not saying you must 'eat clean' to eat at a deficit and lose weight or that it's not possible to gain weight and eat clean. What I'm saying it makes it easier for many people (me included) because of how much more filling quality food is.

I remember buying lean cuisines and low-fat crackers trying to lose weight and always being hungry. I'd 'crack' all the time and would end up bingeing on entire frozen pizzas. "I'll make it and eat just two slices to stay under my calories" I would say and before I knew it, I'd devoured an entire pizza which was 2000 calories.

Beyond weight loss as well there are huge benefits to getting plenty of vegetables and proteins into your system.

Edit: With that said, you're right that eating 'clean' is just a buzz word people use. There's also no 'right' definition of it and everyone's interpretation is probably different.
    For me, it's saying that the quality of food matters. To me a 'clean' diet revolves around natural foods found in nature (meat and vegetables). It's not saying that you can't have dessert or a piece of pizza, but that the focus of your diet (what you eat) is on those natural foods.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I did a calculation on McDonald's site.
    An angus burger, a large fry, a milkshake, and a turnover are 2730 calories (more than I generally net in a day). I could eat that. I'm not saying I wouldn't be full. I would be, but I could eat it without much of a problem.

I'm also not saying you must 'eat clean' to eat at a deficit and lose weight or that it's not possible to gain weight and eat clean. What I'm saying it makes it easier for many people (me included) because of how much more filling quality food is.

I remember buying lean cuisines and low-fat crackers trying to lose weight and always being hungry. I'd 'crack' all the time and would end up bingeing on entire frozen pizzas. "I'll make it and eat just two slices to stay under my calories" I would say and before I knew it, I'd devoured an entire pizza which was 2000 calories.

Beyond weight loss as well there are huge benefits to getting plenty of vegetables and proteins into your system.

Why do you have to get a large fry? A small is perfectly satisfying. I on occasion get a 6 piece nugget and a small fry and easily fit it into my day. It's moderation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I keep seeing so many threads about people who eat 'clean', avoid processed sugar, follow their hunger signs etc, and it seems so easy for them.

My question to those people is... if your relationship with food is so healthy... how did you get overweight in the first place?

I mean, I got fat because I love food, I'm obsessed with food (notice I didn't use 'addicted'), and it's just a huge part of my life. All my life I've just eaten what I wanted when I wanted it... I don't remember my parents ever telling me I couldn't have something. I just helped myself. I don't think I'll ever be able to just see food as sustenance... it's a pleasure. I've got much better at moderation and trying to make the most of my calories (taste-wise... I don't exactly meet my macros every day, lol), but I don't think the desire to eat more tasty food will ever go away. I'm aware it's going to be a life-long struggle.

Just really curious about this (and probably a bit jealous, lol. I wish I was one of those people for whom losing weight was easy).

I don't eat 100% clean...but I eat relatively cleanish and always have really. I'm a foodie and enjoy quality foods made from scratch, whole ingredients. I think a lot of people forget that fat is naturally occurring...it is in many whole (clean) foods...it's pretty ****in' easy to over consume eating pretty darned clean. IMHO, a Ribeye steak is clean...it is a whole food...full fat dairy products IMHO are "clean" whole foods...I could eat my weight in avocados and almonds. People make it out like it's some kind of chore to actually over eat while eating primarily whole foods, and it just isn't...the ones who think it is are the ones who are afraid of dietary fat.

I got fat because I used to be extremely active...I grew up playing sports and involved in all manner of athletics. I went into the Marine Corps out of high school and was paid to train. When I left the military and started college I had no vehicle, just my bike...and I loved hiking and playing roller hockey with my buddies and was just really active. When I graduated I took a desk job that had me working 60 - 80 hrs per week and often on the road...my activity level went to **** but I kept on eating the same amount of food. Like I said, I have long cooked most of my meals from scratch whole ingredients and enjoy quality food...I'm not a big junk food guy...I haven't been to a McDonalds in over 15 years. My biggest issue junk food wise was probably soda and most of my life I've gone through periods of abstinence and heavy consumption of soda, but that has been my only real junky kind of vice but I had no problems cutting back while I was losing weight and I haven't had one in about 9 months or so.

Other than the soda thing, my weight loss is largely attributable to me scaling back my portions and getting back into fitness and exercise...I cook the same stuff I've always cooked and eat the same food I've always eaten and that is largely comprised of foods which I would consider "clean"; however, I do not make my own pasta or ice cream and I have no time for juicing so I drink low sodium V8 and I really like this one particular commercial marinara sauce that saves me from having to make my own all of the time, etc....
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Great post, but the "clean police" are dragging it into the toilet.

My personal story-I got squishy when I stopped exercising but didn't stop eating as if I still was. I spent many years eating everything and anything in sight. From clean/healthy foods to the nastiest processed garbage, and everything in between. I had little to no issues remaining lean and healthy. An entire pizza, no problem. All you can eat buffets..gladly!

Fast forward to a few years after stopping almost all designated exercise (although I did lead an active life) and gaining about 15 pounds and making a decision to "eat better". Slowly over months, if not a year or more, I chose to make better decisions with what I ate and keep my portions in check. A gradual replacement to eating more and more whole/real foods and less processed items & less junk. As I did so I noticed I had more energy thru out the day and my digestive system was no longer a complete wreck. I didn't go to extremes or arbitrarily exclude specific foods. But as I went along I also stopped wanting to put garbage into my body anymore. I've always liked cooking so creating delicious meals from scratch was fun, I've never ever felt deprived or that I had to eat bland food to be healthy. I still have a giant sweet tooth, but I reign it in. And when I do eat some homemade cookies or ice cream, I don't care because the vast majority of the rest of my diet & exercise allows for wiggle room.

In short making a shift towards "clean eating" or more accurately described as predominantly eating whole, real foods has not been as much about weight as it has been about health & energy. And now I can't even imagine wanting to fuel my body on garbage processed foods.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    CrazyCatLadylovescats Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten mostly home made meals, made from scratch, including vegetables. I did not gain "so much", I am just over the edge of overweight, but I still feel it and I don't look as good as I could. I don't want to get to my ideal weight on the charts of 120, but 135 would be great, and that is over 20 pounds away. Comfortable cushion away from overweight, as I see it.

So a bit of this was yearly creep up in weight. And lately...I have to wonder if it has been antibiotics. I have taken them a few times in the last few years and it seems like my weight has gone up around those times, and been hard to get back down. And before poo-pooing me, know that the commercial chicken and other meats are routinely given antibiotics not to keep them from being sick but to have them put on weight faster.

And, it may also be that I am at "that age" where women more easily put on weight due to change in metabolism.

But I will continue to eat well, because that is how I was raised. It is cheap, not that hard, and tastes better than boxed stuff.