Replies

• Sweeetrissa
    Sweeetrissa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can you please explain what that is??
  • istykray
    istykray Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had my gastric bypass 27 years ago. I lost 120 pounds and kept weight off for over 12 years and thru 5 pregnancies. Unfortunately after a traumatic time and depression I gained it all back. After trying several popular and expensive diet plans I have been able to lose the weight with a high protein/low carb diet. Avoiding sugars, fried foods and most dairy products that had initially caused dumping and "oh why did I eat that" feeling. I have mostly lean proteins and veggies but I still have a potato, brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain buns, and Ezekiel bread, but not on a daily basis. I will have fruit but always with nuts, cheese or Greek yogurt. Stay away from the fat free dressings and foods as they always have more sugar. And the regular sour cream and dressings are so much more satisfying. Atkins has some great new frozen meals and they have candy bars that are perfect for us chocoholics. And if you're totally craving something then eat it! Treat yourself once in a while but get back on track. Believe me I understand the frustration and how overwhelming it becomes when faced with weight gain. We went through so much physically and emotionally. Make the decision to eat healthier and learn what foods are keeping you from losing that weight. I hope what I have learned can work for you.
  • istykray
    istykray Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need protein and healthy fats. Remember protein was first thing we were needing to eat on our plates. The carbs from your veggies need something to "hold onto" before they're released to your bloodstream.
  • nddker76
    nddker76 Posts: 2
    Options
    Not to contradict anyone, and it's late, so I haven't had time to read all the comments, so if I repeat anything, I do apologize.

I had RNY gastric bypass in 2006, and have gained back all the weight I lost, plus some. A change in medication started the weight gain, and I contributed the rest. I slipped back into my old habits, quit paying attention to how much and why I was eating. Stopped exercising, as well. So, of course, the weight came back. Here is what I know, and what I am now doing that has helped me lose about 20 pounds of the regained weight.

From everything I have read and conversations with a couple of surgeons, the post gastric bypass pouch/stomach cannot stretch very easily, if at all, because of it's location and the lack of elasticity in that section of the stomach/esophagus. It is actually the stoma or the opening that stretches, allowing food to pass through way too fast. It cannot be done with liquids. My stoma was made too large, and I've had three procedures to try to "shrink" it, with little success. If the food passes too quickly through the pouch, there is a good possibility that very little nutrition is actually being absorbed, causing malnurishment.

She should see her doctor for labs, and to address any hormonal issues. A trip back to her surgeon isn't out of the question either. They should have experience in dealing with patients who have regained, and may suggest a meeting with a dietician.

Write down everything. While she may be eating too much, not eating enough can cause a plateau, as well.

Protein first, then veggies, then fruits, and if there is any room left, other carbohydrates. No snacking. Lots of water or unsweetened tea. I, personally cannot tolerate artificial sweeteners; my body has bad reactions to them, and they make me super hungry. If this is the case for her, I have found that I can tolerate small amounts of stevia for my drinks.

Be sure to take all the supplements the doctor has suggested, and buy good brands. There are quite a few vitamins/mineral supplements made specifically for bariatric patients.

Exercise is a must. Find something that she likes, and stick with it. This is not only good for the body, but also the mind. If she's all ready exercising, maybe she needs to find another exercise routine, to change things up a bit, and "shock" the body into letting go of some of the weight.

Find a support system (preferably more than one or two friends.) and preferably people that have the goal, not just to lose weight, but to change their lifestyle and be healthier. I joined a weight loss program through our local hospital. This has been the key to my sticking with my program this time. It helps to have encouragement, but also someone there to kick you in the rear when needed.

I am by no means an expert. I've been there, and this is what I'm doing to try to get my health back. It's not easy, either way. But it can be done. It's slower this time around, but I think that has been a good thing for me, as I have to stop and think about what I'm doing, and not just depend on my surgery.

Best wishes to your friend, and to you for caring enough to try to help her.
  • nddker76
    nddker76 Posts: 2
    Options
    I read some of the comments, and wanted to clarify a couple of things. Please remember, I am not a medical person, just a person who's done a lot of research and annoyed plenty of doctors with my questions.

Dumping syndrome isn't, neccesarily, eating too much sugar. It can be too many carbohydrates (including fruits) or eating too fast. It's call dumping because the food dumps too rapidly into the intestine, where it is absorbed at too fast a rate, and it may cause the person to feel sick, have abdominal pain, rapid heart rate, sweating, and if severe enough, some people have passed out (very severe). It makes me exhausted for a couple of hours afterward, and then I have to pay attention so that my blood sugar doesn't dip too low later on. And when a person "dumps" it usually doesn't come back up. In fact, and not to sound gross, but I cannot vomit at all. I dry-heave, that's it, and that doesn't apply to everyone.

From what I have read, one of the reasons gastric bypass patients gain weight so easily is due to the fact that sugar or simple carbohydrates are absorbed in the intestine quicker, and then turned into fat. It seems to be the same with alcohol. It absorbs faster in the intestine, causing us to be very cheap dates. :) Absorption is quicker in the intestines maybe due to lack of dilution from gastric juices found in the stomach or thinner walls in the intestines.

Also, the malabsorption does not stop after so many years. That is why we have to take nutrional supplements for the rest of our lives. Are we eventually able to absorb more nutrition? Yes, the body adjusts wonderfully to many things. But the part of our intestine that processes calcium and iron was bypassed during surgery. Which is why we have to supplement them. And that is why some people will have issues with anemia and osteoporosis sometime down the road.

As I said, I just do a lot of research, and if any of what I have written is wrong, I do apologize. But I hope this helps others to understand a little better. (Myself, included.)
  • katherineneumillertroyer
    Options
    I have to add to this, I had Gastric Bypass in 2001 and lost 135lbs... when I got pregnant I had a disc collapse in my back on my sciatic nerve and had to go out about a month early... in total I gained about 96lbs when I was pregnant. I was able to drop 40 of it right away... but then I got stuck with the remaining... and I have been fighting it ever since. I went back to my surgeon and he gave me some medication to help and I lost about 35lbs... but guess what I've gained back...

There are a few things I've found out... I suffer from Pernicious Anemia, this is a family trait, but it can also be a side effect of the bypass. I have to take Vitamin b12, b6 and b1 in addition to my calcium. I still have low energy, and I'm trying to watch what I eat... in saying that I have to tell you how we found out about the Anemia. My mother had cancer and she had also been suffering from stomach problems, similar to IBS... about a year after she passed, I also started having these issues... no one could figure out why... that's when we figured out I had the B12 anemia.. HOWEVER... along this epic journey of having to take a ton of multivitamins... I have found that the whole reason I was having IBS symptoms was because of an ingredient that manufacturers are placing in processed foods.... like chips, and cookies... you know those things we're not suppose to eat a lot of... it's called Maltodextrin. It's also in sugar substitutes... AND VITAMINS...

I have to say, now that I've eliminated that from my diet, I'm not having any of the IBS symptoms... make sure you read the ingredients that your putting in your body...
  • Gingersfit
    Options
    nddker76, that's good sound advice... to follow what originally helped you lose the weight in the first place. I haven't had my bypass yet -- I'm in the approval stage -- and I know that my first resource for questions is always going to be my surgeon first. They have the experience to know what to do to be successful.

Best wishes on your journey.
  • tochatty
    tochatty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just posted on another thread.

i had Open RNY July 2000 (14 years ago)

Starting weight was 336
    Lowest weight was 185
    I'm currently 275

I haev gained 90 lbs back and I am determined not to get back to my starting weight. Need all the support I can find on here. I know I need to get back to basics, but not sure what those basics are anymore. I had my surgery when the hospital did not have a program or support group, and so I learned how to graze eat after surgery to get my calories in and I still do that to this day. I eat small bites of things here and there and thats where my calories are coming from. Not sure how to break that pattern!
  • carguy101
    Options
    The short answer is yes. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2008. I never had the so called " side effects "
    Slowly weight has come back. Ditching for answers.
  • krisiover
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Had RNY 6 years ago. Lost 150 but have gained back 70.:mad: Having some sucess cutting carbs and reading posts like this have helped get me motivated:smile:

I think the big thing is to focus on protein, low carb and to getr moving. Even if it's walking on a regular basis. When I was younger I could eat just about anything as long as I was exercising regularly.

Thanks for the hints, it is nice to see that it CAN be done:happy:
  • tmfernan
    tmfernan Posts: 1
    Options
    I had gastric bypass (RNY) 5 years ago when I weighed 364 lbs. As you are aware, it just melts right off. But when I finally plateaued, I picked up the pace in my exercise regimen (walking to running). Despite this, I kept eating a bunch of small meals throughout the day as a result of the habit the surgery put me in. When I was suddenly placed in a wheelchair for 3 months due to a motorcycle accident, I kept eating as normal but exercise all together dropped off. Consequently, I gained 10 lbs. (I was at 210 before the wreck) and I was not happy that I nudged back to 220.

Therefore, I realized it was time to start counting everything that went in my mouth. I am back on my feet but can no longer run. Walking, however, accompanied with tracking EVERYTHING that goes in my face has helped me drop to 190. Dropping those 30 lbs. after the accident was not easy. But I can honestly testify that I feel much better about losing those 30 compared to the 154 I lost prior.

I think, then, that the solution is simple: calories in < calories out.

Honestly track what you eat and just walk walk walk. Get some books on audio and start walking. Remember, losing weight is 90% food and 10% exercise. I spend more time tracking what I eat than I spend exercising. And I love every minute of it! As far as what I eat? Most anything really as long as I don't go over my limit or dump (still happens if I'm not careful).

Start: 364 lbs.
    Dropped to: 210 lbs.
    Inactivity After Accident: 220 lbs.
    MyFitnessPal Intervention: 190 lbs. (and still going)

Good luck!
  • emartell21
    emartell21 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I had Gastric bypass in June of 2007. I lost 220 lb my lowest was 168. I had 2 children and due to pregnancy I currently am 225 lbs. I have started to lose weight again I have tried somethings that helped. The 5 day pouch test did help to clean my system and restart the weight loss the problem is, is that you have to start from the beginning diet if you can. Until you feel your pouch restriction again. Also maintain a high protein low carb. diet. When you first get the surgery you don't have to exercise but recommended to maximize your weight loss. After so many years you really have to exercise or you don't really lose weight the way you might like. All Dr's say you should consume 1200 calories but I feel to sustain weight that is the amount of calories needed for us. To lose weight try 950 to 1000 calories daily. High protein doesn't make you as hungry you almost have to force yourself to eat. This has worked for me. I always have to put it in my head that we have different types of bodies and due to the fact that we have all been obese our bodies deal with calorie differently and if the average joe has to consume 1200 calories to lose weight what about us. No one can tell you what could work for you and the DR's will tell you what the norm is. Try different thing within our guidelines. Good luck on this journey!!!!
  • MindyMac51
    MindyMac51 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi all! This is my first post and I'm very glad to be here. I am just getting back into a healthy routine and look forward to using MFP to share my story and my progress. If any of you can suggest other Groups or Message boards that would help, I'd appreciate the advice since I'm new here.

My Story: I had RNY surgery Nov. 2010. HW was 280; Weight at surgery 260, after going through the 3-month program at Pennsylvania Hospital. Lowest weight 182 was reached in September 2011. 98 lb total lost; 78 lb 11 months after surgery.

Then I plateaued for about a year, began to eat whatever I wanted in small portions. Kept up a moderate amount of exercise -- walking 2-2.5 miles 3-4 times a week. That brings me to fall 2012, 2 years after surgery. That's when I got complacent, thought I'd maintain easily, exercised less, ate more freely, including those dreaded carbs -- saltines, Ritz, breads -- and drank wine with my meals. I really enjoyed cooking during this period, but didn't think about the protein-carb-fat proportions. And drank too much white wine, not only with dinner, but before dinner. Stopped weighing myself regularly. So of course over the next year and a half I gained back 38 lbs.

Now I've discovered this is not such an unusual pattern, and I don't feel so bad. In fact, over the past week, since I've been reading the messages at MFP and ObesityHelp, and the 5 day pouch text site, I have gotten motivated again and am back on track! I've done the 5 day pouch test plus 2 days of mindful eating, drinking water, no wine, and 45-60 minutes of walking every day -- and I'm down 4 pounds. I'm inspired and motivated and grateful to all who have shared their stories on these boards. So I'm back and I'm going to stick to this! I want to reach my goal of 160 by November 2015, which will be my 5-year surgiversary.

280 HW 6/1/2010
    260 SW 11/1/2010
    182 LW 10/1/2011

220 After Regain 6/25/2014
    216 CW 7/2/2014
  • kmartel12
    Options
    I am having exactly the same problem I am trying so hard to eat right. The weight is just not coming off. I am the same height and weight as your friend. I just would like to be under 150. If you find anything that helps please let me know.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If the doctor says you should eat healthier food and stick to 1200, you should eat healthier food and stick to 1200.

It really doesn't matter what the yahoos online say.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I think your friend needs to understand that she's going to have to do some work this time. She's not ever going to have the same kind of rapid weight loss that she did when she initally had the surgery. Slow and steady is the way she will have to do it now. Even with a modified diet, exercise is a must.

Is she being completely honest about what she is eating and her portion sizes? Sometimes a little tough love goes a long way. She has to change her brain first and her body will follow.

P.S. I work in a doctors office and I'd say 75% of gastric bypass patient gain quite a bit of their weight back because they eat properly in the beginning then fall back into their old ways.

Thanks. She did fall back to her old ways, but before her last pregnancy. During her pregnancy and since has been all about health. This is not someone new to my life, I am 100% certain she is being completely honest. She did lose 10 pounds, but has been on a 90 day plateau and has even gained a couple pounds back. I think the initial 10 was water weight, the shock of a new way of eating, and everything a body goes through in the months after pregnancy, breast feeding, hormones flying every which way, etc.

It's not that she is impatient with the slow n steady approach, it's that she is frustrated because no weight is coming off at all. She is noticing small changes, feeling better, clothes a little lose, etc, and we have been over that 100 times if once that it's a lifestyle change not a "diet", and to not pay attention to a number on a scale. BUT, she is definitely not at her ideal weight. Mentally she has made that change, but she is also ready to look better too, and no loss in 90 days is an issue no matter what cheery spin is put on it. It's going to be hard work, she knows that, I am just trying to help my friend and do it in the best way possible and best for her health.

Does she follow up with her surgeon? I had gastric bypass 11 years ago. I lost a significant amount of weight (almost 150) before having complications (a year and a half after surgery) and then fell back into old lazy habits and horrible eating and put about 60 of it back on. In the process of the bad habits and the weight shame I stopped seeing my surgeon because there wasn't a chance of me stepping on a scale. A few years ago I got tired of being over 300 pounds and started walking and eating better. I started focusing on my protein again (that's the biggest food focus for gastric bypass) and cutting out sweets and the normal crap and started losing weight. I saw my surgeon because of an illness and while he was checking for obstructions he checked the bypass and told me that everything was still good despite the weight gain. I lost just over 100 pounds walking and doing the treadmill and training to run (my first half marathon is in October - I'll be walking/jogging). I had a setback recently that has had me in a funk that I'm trying desperately to bounce back from and am getting back to my roots with eating better and tracking. Although I'm very diligent with weighing and measuring my food (obsessive really) I haven't been logging my food and today is my first day getting my head back in the game. I do keep up my follow up appointments with my surgeon now and make sure that I consult him if I'm having issues. He knows better what my body is up to...so when it comes to weight and things of that nature...I don't even bother with my primary doctor.
  • mjevans80
    Options
    Omg I iust typed up a whole page worth of Rey and it froze and bought me back to a blank Rhey and I'm not going thru that again so in short Im gonna make it short and sweet low/no carb and or clean eating any combination of the 2 works a miracle after bypass and if she wants she can keep in touch with me thru one of the "one" derful was we connect thru media these days because as I discovered it is so helpful to have constant non stop daily motivation and people that understand exactly what your going thru and that can relate.