Replies

• AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 cans per day.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'll drink it now and again but not as much as I did before. Way I see it isn't doing you any harm but its not really doing you any good either. Better off substituting water if you can manage it. If you need that bit of pop to keep your sanity during a diet/exercise regimen though I wouldn't sweat it.
    To be fair (from a scientific and biological standpoint) you aren't "better off" substituting water. They are equivalent substitutes.
  • brookeokelly
    Options
    All sodas are bad for you, even the diet ones. They contain harmful additives and ingredients and do nothing for you nutritionally. They can actually cause weight gain, because the artificial sweetener in diet soda still triggers your sugar cravings, leaving you wanting more and more (of not just soda, sugar in general). But, if you're new at all of this-try going every other day, then twice a week, weaning off of it completely. If it's the sweetness that you like, try replacing it with something with natural sugar-like an apple, banana, or 80% dark chocolate (preferably organic)..that will help with the sugar cravings. Although you can still lose weight drinking it, my personal opinion is that it will make it more difficult. Plus, it's just bad for you all around. Good luck!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'll drink it now and again but not as much as I did before. Way I see it isn't doing you any harm but its not really doing you any good either. Better off substituting water if you can manage it. If you need that bit of pop to keep your sanity during a diet/exercise regimen though I wouldn't sweat it.
    To be fair (from a scientific and biological standpoint) you aren't "better off" substituting water. They are equivalent substitutes.

Soda contains caffeine which is a diuretic and vasoconstrictor, they also contain sodium which increases your need for hydration. If you are getting sufficient fluids then yeah okay no big deal but if you are not drinking sufficient water substituting in a caffeinated beverage is not equivalent. I disagree.

Is it a big difference? Probably not, but there is a difference. I do think people go overboard with the "OMG soda/pop is SO unhealthy for you" but I think if you were trying to be your most healthy you are better off with water than soda.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I drink very few - maybe 1-2 every two to three months. I have generally cut out artificial sugars from my diet - it's what is working best for me personally. I personally feel better without them, so I have left them out.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Bottom line I think is do whatever works best for you to attain what should be your actual goals which would be your diet based on calories, your exercise and your hydration.

If you find drinking diet pop makes it harder for you to hit your calorie goals or exercise as much or drink enough water then yeah probably stop. If you find it doesn't affect those things at all then drink up, doesn't matter.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    but I think if you were trying to be your most healthy you are better off with water than soda.

Nope, cause I would go crazy :)
  • samg135
    samg135 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda. For me it is a replacement for "normal" soda, and as I don't drink tea or coffee its where all my caffine comes from.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I drink one after lunch most work days ... I wish I didn't want to and understand that aspartame maybe isn't the greatest chemical to put in my body, and that all soda is "the devil" but I love them and intend to continue drinking them when a craving arises.

Unrelated issue with diet sodas - my dentist says they're much worse on your enamel than regular soda and if I intend to continue drinking them, it's important to use a mouthwash that restores enamel.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Unrelated issue with diet sodas - my dentist says they're much worse on your enamel than regular soda and if I intend to continue drinking them, it's important to use a mouthwash that restores enamel.

What? Okay first how does that make sense. The only difference between diet soda and regular soda is sugar content and protein content neither of which degrade enamel. Also there is no way to "Restore" enamel at all, let alone with a mouthwash. Once your enamel is gone, its gone. You can do things to prevent further decay but you cannot rebuild it.
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I drink one soda a month. When it is that time of the month :) TMI!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

What? Okay first how does that make sense. The only difference between diet soda and regular soda is sugar content and protein content neither of which degrade enamel. Also there is no way to "Restore" enamel at all, let alone with a mouthwash. Once your enamel is gone, its gone. You can do things to prevent further decay but you cannot rebuild it.

FWIW, from the charts I've seen Diet Pop is usually more acidic than regular.

Either way, it's still my beverage of choice when I reach for pop.
  • StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I don't need to lose anymore teeth lol!!
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you want to consider getting off the pop as part of your diet here is what I would suggest that I think is a healthy way to approach it.

Make sure you drink 8 cups of water every day. Do NOT count diet pop towards that number.

Unless you make a point to drink that much anyways you might find it hard to drink 8 cups of water a day at which point the idea of drinking even more fluid might turn you off to pop just in and of itself. If you can drink 8 cups of water a day AND have a pop I think that's fine really.

This is what I would have said. I cut out all pop in general, but seriously after I drink 8-10 cups of water a day, i'm so not thirsty- Nor craving a soda pop.
  • santel87
    santel87 Posts: 3
    Options
    QUOTE:

"aspartame (also a common trigger in people with migraines) in diet soda that triggers migraines."

Why would protein trigger migraines? Caffeine sure as it manipulates blood flow and vascular constriction but not sure how protein would effect migraines. Do you have a source for that?

My neurologist. I'm not anti-aspartame, I'm just saying if you're a person who gets migraines, it can be a trigger. So can cheese. And apples. And yeast, apricots, lunch meats.... And a whole slew of other things.

For what it's worth, I've heard the same thing from a chemistry professor. Something about the aspartame and the nerves. The professor also said it can trigger cramping (like legs) in some people as well.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I_Will_End_You. You know if you do suffer ill effects from aspartame you should probably get checked by your doctor for phenylketonuria (PKU) which is a disorder of metabolism in which the body is unable to process phenylalanine. As a result imbibing foods that have high phenylalanine content can result in ill effects that are noticeable in the body and it specifically effects the brain. One of the breakdown products of aspartame is phenylalanine and people with PKU should avoid it.

As I've said several times in this thread, I do not suffer any ill effects from aspartame. I'm sitting at my desk drinking a Coke Zero right now. I responded to a different post where someone was saying Diet Pepsi gave her migraines, and she didn't know why. Other caffeinated beverages don't bother her, so I suggested it was the aspartame since it is a common migraine trigger.

For what it's worth, I've heard the same thing from a chemistry professor. Something about the aspartame and the nerves. The professor also said it can trigger cramping (like legs) in some people as well.

I heard it had to do with serotonin and dopamine in the brain, but I've only heard that from neurologists and do not have any studies to back up that claim for the aspartame police. I don't know why it seems to have that affect on certain people, just like I don't know why aged cheeses and apples do.
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    No pop for me - one diet at most every 3-4 months. Water always for me and flavor enhancers as to not get bored. Lemon, lime, orange, and sometimes wyler's grape.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

It was just an interesting piece of information I was passing on. I don't know anything about dentistry or tooth enamel but it is advice I received from someone whose expertise I appreciate. Maybe 'restore' was the incorrect verb. He has a lot to say about Altoids also, if you're interested.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I_Will_End_You. You know if you do suffer ill effects from aspartame you should probably get checked by your doctor for phenylketonuria (PKU) which is a disorder of metabolism in which the body is unable to process phenylalanine. As a result imbibing foods that have high phenylalanine content can result in ill effects that are noticeable in the body and it specifically effects the brain. One of the breakdown products of aspartame is phenylalanine and people with PKU should avoid it.

As I've said several times in this thread, I do not suffer any ill effects from aspartame. I'm sitting at my desk drinking a Coke Zero right now. I responded to a different post where someone was saying Diet Pepsi gave her migraines, and she didn't know why. Other caffeinated beverages don't bother her, so I suggested it was the aspartame since it is a common migraine trigger.

I heard it had to do with serotonin and dopamine in the brain, but I've only heard that from neurologists and do not have any studies to back up that claim for the aspartame police. I don't know why it seems to have that affect on certain people, just like I don't know why aged cheeses and apples do.

^
    And some people have multiple triggers. I can't use certain shampoos without triggering, and whenever I get my hair dyed it's a nightmare for a few days until the product and dye is totally out of my hair (worth it for the blond c:)
    I also assumed it was the apartame, as most of the other chemicals are in the flavored waters I still drink.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It was a casualty of my last food service job - for some reason I've picked up a trigger food for each one, something off the menu I started eating more of because of that job that will probably never sit right again. Diet pop has got to be the worst so far - I was in so much misery that I didn't realize it was my new problem item and thought I had come down with something.