Deli Meat Bad For You?

Options
4 - 5 days a week I usually eat oscar mayer turkey deli meat at lunch. Recently, I was reading an article about foods people assume are good for kids that really aren't and deli meat was on there. There is such an abundance of information on the net about nutrition, I'm not really sure what to believe.

Opinions? Facts?

Replies

• golfmanwl
    golfmanwl Posts: 69
    Options
    The junk deli meat like Oscar Mayer and the like will not be as good as the quality stuff like Boarshead.
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I try to keep away from processed meats, an alternative is cooking chicken, beef roast, pork roast and use those in sandwiches for the week. So much less sodium and calories and much better for you.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Processed meats are bad, especially deli meats.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I eat sandwiches with deli meat pretty much daily. As far as I (and my doctor) can tell I'm still in excellent health.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I try to keep away from processed meats, an alternative is cooking chicken, beef roast, pork roast and use those in sandwiches for the week. So much less sodium and calories and much better for you.

This :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I eat sandwiches with deli meat pretty much daily. As far as I (and my doctor) can tell I'm still in excellent health.

Quoting so it doesn't get lost.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It is because of the nitrates and sodium in processing... Sodium is still a cause of high blood pressure in the eyes of the medical community. Nitrates are considered carcinogenic. Personally, I don't really see a problem if ate in moderation.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Yep.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The junk deli meat like Oscar Mayer and the like will not be as good as the quality stuff like Boarshead.

columbus>boarshead
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    4 - 5 days a week I usually eat oscar mayer turkey deli meat at lunch. Recently, I was reading an article about foods people assume are good for kids that really aren't and deli meat was on there. There is such an abundance of information on the net about nutrition, I'm not really sure what to believe.

Opinions? Facts?

Most meats you buy in the deli have a lot of sodium, which is the reason they're included on that list you read. You don't need to worry about sodium unless you're one of the "salt sensitive" people, in which case it can raise your blood pressure. You can always just buy the low sodium types too.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients.

Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh Oven Roasted Turkey Breast

TURKEY BREAST, WATER, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM LACTATE, SALT, SUGAR, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL FLAVOR, SODIUM DIACETATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE, CARAMEL COLOR.

Do you feel comfortable eating all the peservatives? All the sodium? Some people do. The FDA says they're fine to eat. I'd personally rather avoid them. There are low sodium, all natural choices available.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Quoting so it doesn't get lost.

No need, I think this is destined to become one of those 'ERMAHGAWD SODIUMS' things. To which I say "Good. More turkey for me."
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't have any issues with sodium.

I would really like to pre cook meals but honestly, I just never get around to it.
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have great blood pressure. I'm already a healthy weight, I'm only losing weight for vanity reasons.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

There is no reason why having a machine slice a few thin pieces off of a hunk of meat should somehow alter the nutritional value the meat. If you buy low quality deli meat than it will have a lot of salt and preservatives. But you can just buy quality deli meat and avoid most of that stuff.

I do often smoke turkeys and chicken and slice them up. But it's so much easier just to buy from the deli.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    If you get 'em from your grocery store's deli and have someone slice it up for you then it'll probably have less sodium and preservatives than the prepackaged stuff. Prepackaged deli meats probably won't kill you if you have them every once in a while in a quick sandwich, but it'd probably be better (and tastier) to swap them out for meats that you've cut yourself or obtained from an in-store deli.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Opinions? Facts?

Most meats you buy in the deli have a lot of sodium, which is the reason they're included on that list you read. You don't need to worry about sodium unless you're one of the "salt sensitive" people, in which case it can raise your blood pressure. You can always just buy the low sodium types too.

This. Sodium doesn't cause hypertension.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Do you feel comfortable eating all the peservatives? All the sodium? Some people do. The FDA says they're fine to eat. I'd personally rather avoid them.

lol wat. So you will avoid them because of your own personal conspiracy theories..seems legit

Also to the people who think meat sliced at a deli counter has less sodium you're sadly mistaken
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can ask your deli if they sell minimally processed meats. The grocery store that I go to has a line of minimally processed meats. It's the only stuff that I will buy.