What's been the hardest part of dieting for you?

Options

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    For me, it's actually getting to the gym, or just working out. Once I finally drag myself there, I tend to slack sometimes. =/
    what about you though? Do you have any resolutions to your situation? :)

Funily enough going to the gym doesn't actually have anything to do with dieting. The two often go hand in hand but are definitely mutually exclusive. You're lucky if you've got the diet thing sorted though. I'm fantastic with exercise but my weaknesses are weekend eating and social situations. It's like a switch flips and all of a sudden I can eat whatever I want
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me is stopping when I reach my calorie limit for the day. I'd really like to eat about 2500-3000 calories a day because I love food. But while I am losing fat, my goal is between 1500-1800 calories.

Exercise has always come easy to me since I am one of those "weirdos" that actually loves to run, do kickboxing, and lift heavy stuff & put it back down.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Consistency, I'm okay until I break. Then I just find it super difficult to get back into it.

The other day I made a carb free pizza, it was disgusting. Took me 4 days of crap food to get back into it. Which is fine, but sometimes it can take weeks >:

I kick myself from being 6lbs from my goal D:
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    waiting for the weight to come off.

Yesss ^^^
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    exercise for me has always come easy, logging everything I eat is the hardest part, a big pain in the *kitten*
  • princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The 28th day cravings of salt and sugar...man-oh-man...Once a month like clock work all I want is naughty bits of sugary sin.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    For me it has been balancing my healthy habits with having a social life – there have been times I have skipped parties and outings so that I wouldn't stray from my meal plan. In the big picture, of course, I should have just enjoyed that time with friends and not worried.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Days when I want to go out drinking with my friends. Terrible thing to find hard really, but it's difficult to get the food/alcohol calorie balance right. Too little food = incredibly drunk, too little alcohol = sober in a nightclub full of ruined people. So I tend to make sure I do lots of exercise that day or let myself have them as a cheat day.

Also dealing with food cravings for calorific food - I have little self control when it comes to portion sizes, and I will eat until I am full when it comes to things like cheesy chips, chocolate cake etc. As a result of this I have to make sure I buy such things rarely and only in quantities as much as I will allow myself to have or share them with others.

For chips, eat baked chips and use the handful rule. If you have small hands, grabbing one large handful is typically the regular serving size. For people with large hands, 1/2 to 3/4 handful is a serving size. Before eating, store the chips away and do not go for seconds. The key is to get the taste, and savor every bite. This should never be a meal, but it can go with a clean meal. Chocolate cake should only be a moderate piece, about two or three slivers combined in width. The slice should give you a taste, not to fill you. Walk away from the cake after your slice is on your plate. Enjoy it slowly.
  • Tffanie4712
    Tffanie4712 Posts: 115
    Options
    Having a cheat meal and can't get back on track.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Actually getting the motivation to count calories/weigh food. I always start to get discouraged when I think about having to do it for multiple years.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Working out can be a hassle sometimes because i always feel that i have other things, better things, more fun things that i could do. THen i workout and feel great afterwards!

My toughest thing is now starting to show its face..... cheat days! I used to be able to have cheat foods nearly whenever if i wanted to and i could have a lot more of it without it affecting my weight loss. however, i've noticed that i'm getting into that strict point of my weight loss journey where when i have my 'no count sundays' i seem to put my week of weight loss off. So I'm eating so much on those days that it takes me a week to burn it off, only for me to keep it up again... aka, maintaining at my current weight~! SO what i've decided to do is that my cheats will be put at a minimum.... i can have cheats on the weekends, as long as they fit within my calorie goal AND they have to be on my workout day. I can have a no-count day but it must be at the end of each month rather than each weekend. We'll see how this plan goes!

(I have cheats because without them i just feel to restrained. This helps me keep peace of mind and helps me keep up the will to push forward :o)
  • baberzoo1
    baberzoo1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not using food as an emotional support... I actually had to talk myself out of going to get an icecream the other day when I was feeling depressed.
  • SCSTWG
    SCSTWG Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Stopping using food for comfort or as a reward or treat.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me is when I go over a little and then I say f$!# it and REALLY go over. I never go over just 50-100. I'm either under or over 2000. It's bad... Luckily it doesn't happen very often.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Cravings. Every once in while, I'll crave something and the feeling will last for days. I've pretty much decided that if it lasts that long, I should just give in and eat it. There's no use wasting my mental energy on it. Usually I eat it and then I realize it wasn't that great and I don't want it any more.

My memories of junk foods are usually a lot better than the reality of how they taste.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    the eating for sure. my sweet tooth is a *****.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is just semantics, but....

The hardest part of dieting is gaining the weight back when the diet is over. That's why i stopped dieting and started living a healthy sustainable life.
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't diet.

I just try to get optimal nutrition while enjoying the foods I like in moderation.
  • 1daylate1dollarshort
    Options
    Trying really hard to be healthy about it. And I don't mean eating healthy, necessarily. I've just had unhealthy/disordered eating patterns for 15 years so trying to do it the *right* way is really hard. It's a fine line, for me, between trying to be healthy and becoming obsessive :/

I actually could stand to lose another 30lbs and remain in the healthy range, but I really don't care if it's only 15 and I look okay. My thought process is still distorted. I went a few hundred over last night and could barely sleep.

So trying to eat at least 1200 calories, unfortunately. I know I had no problem with it to become overweight, but I just worry that I'm going to get back to being overweight again. Also that I'll eat too little and eff up my metabolism even more.

I also love cheese ...
  • luzdelua
    luzdelua Posts: 88 Member
    Options

My memories of junk foods are usually a lot better than the reality of how they taste.

Yesss, haha!

The hardest thing for me was giving up drinking. Bye, bye piña coladas :(