What's been the hardest part of dieting for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Social eating. It's hard to say no when you're pretty much expected to eat something because it's a birthday or holiday or whatever. Half the time I don't even want what they are eating, but feel like a social outcast for not joining in. That, and visiting my in-laws. They equate food with love and are relentless in offering food. it's very difficult to stay within my goals during that time.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Actually getting the motivation to count calories/weigh food. I always start to get discouraged when I think about having to do it for multiple years.

Check out my thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1239041-lost-80-lbs-and-never-counted-calories

It is a hot topic, if you need tips on how to lose weight without counting food calories, feel free to inbox me as well.
  • Domineer
    Options
    Maybe this is just semantics, but....

The hardest part of dieting is gaining the weight back when the diet is over. That's why i stopped dieting and started living a healthy sustainable life.

What do you do to sustain?
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Being patient for the weight to come off. It feels like it's taking forever. Also, the learning process; there's a lot of trial and error which contributions to my impatience :cry:
  • Domineer
    Options
    i can have cheats on the weekends, as long as they fit within my calorie goal AND they have to be on my workout day.

(I have cheats because without them i just feel to restrained. This helps me keep peace of mind and helps me keep up the will to push forward :o)

^^^Yess!! Cheat meals should always be done on the workout days. Create a deficit during the week, and when you work out, a cheat meal won't throw you over (if you have it in moderation of course). That is the way to eat the foods you want and make progress.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    waiting to see results....but its not a diet for me
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Willpower to resist desserts provided at meetings. I always ALWAYS delve into the cookie/cupcake platters.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is just semantics, but....

The hardest part of dieting is gaining the weight back when the diet is over. That's why i stopped dieting and started living a healthy sustainable life.

What do you do to sustain?
    I eat a diet that is low in calorie density. I try to put my focus on eating healthy foods, and improving fitness, as opposed to trying to lose weight. I don't make weight loss goals, but i do make fitness goals.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I actually think maintaining is hard. I will be transitioning soon, and I'm scared to up my calories. One thing though is I'm worried about activity level. The more I move, the more I can eat, but its hard to move as often as I'd like due to a busy schedule.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    exercise for me has always come easy, logging everything I eat is the hardest part, a big pain in the *kitten*

This is exactly what I was going to post.

Exercise? no problema, I wish I could do more. Eating healthy? no problema either; but measuring, weighting and logging:? GRRRR
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    The exercise! I'm such a couch potato. I'm addicted to Netflix and reading books. Every day is a struggle between the two. I just tell myself "that book will still be there when you're thin!" lol. Also, I've had an intense craving for a chocolate milkshake the last two weeks. It's almost an obsession.

Have you thought about getting audio books and listening while you walk ... just a passing thought:smile:

I just started doing that this week. My library has an audiobook rental program where I can rent them through an app on my phone. I"m almost done my first!

The way I've done it is told myself that I can *only* listen to the audiobook when I'm running. It's gotten me to run more this week than I have in all of my 24 years!
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and gaining muscle takes time. I hate that :)
  • hope19862000
    Options
    definatly working out, I'm fine once I get to the gym, but getting there is the battle:grumble:
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I actually think maintaining is hard. I will be transitioning soon, and I'm scared to up my calories. One thing though is I'm worried about activity level. The more I move, the more I can eat, but its hard to move as often as I'd like due to a busy schedule.

Keeping up with logging on MFP will help greatly with long-term compliance & success! I got into trouble when I stopped being accountable for my food and exercise... I burned out on logging around year 4 (back then it was on paper, thank heavens for apps like MFP). Thankfully, weight doesn't magically return overnight... if you keep monitoring and logging (even sporadically), you can spot any upward trends and adjust accordingly.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Absolutely the waiting game....when, oh when, will the scale change!!