Women...What is the perfect way to be purposed to?

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to be accidented.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I think a surprise is best...so i don't see a perfect proposal as over a romatic candlelit dinner...I would think something might be up. Same goes for on an aniversary, or valentines day...it's just too obvious for me. But I'd still say yes and be thrilled, don't get me wrong.

Some friends of mine got engaged under the glow of a streetlight at night in the snow. He stopped to "tie his shoe". To me, being caught off gaurd like that would be the best.
  • Grumpellina
    Options
    Do not know and don't care anymore.
  • Grumpellina
    Options
    Don't know and honestly don't care anymore.
  • erin6989
    erin6989 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    On a hot air balloon as we watch the sun set over the grassy hills.

Damn, you beat me to it by a min! haha

This is exactly how my fiance proposed! It was amazing, and we have so many beautiful photos!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think you meant "spelling" not pronouncing, but who am I to point out mistakes! :laugh:

if you spell with phonics, then you end up misspelling things if you pronounce them wrong
  • Munn0025
    Munn0025 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There is NO perfect anything.. who cares HOW it happens ... the big question is... do you love him, do you want to be in a legally binding situation with this person? LOL.
  • bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    I think a surprise is best...so i don't see a perfect proposal as over a romatic candlelit dinner...I would think something might be up. Same goes for on an aniversary, or valentines day...it's just too obvious for me. But I'd still say yes and be thrilled, don't get me wrong.

Some friends of mine got engaged under the glow of a streetlight at night in the snow. He stopped to "tie his shoe". To me, being caught off gaurd like that would be the best.
    I like this answer!
  • MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    He purposed on my bday. we had the talk I knew it would happen but not right then and there. i had unwashed hair and no makeup busy talking about decorating our new home lol. it was my bday dinner but I had to work late so I din't have time to 'prep properly'. However, it was very sweet and did not give me the typical ' will you marry me?' i started crying and calling my friends and family while he sat there and ate his food lol. for us.. it was perfect.
  • MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    so sex in the city. carrie and adan!

I like this answer!
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options

Do those guys exist? Sigh... *melt
  • WorkInProgress323
    Options
    I was very disappointed with the way my guy proposed. First, it was WAY too soon. It made me feel trapped. I had just moved half-way across the country to live with him. I mean, literally, just moved. I don't think I had even had a chance to take my coat off yet, after driving for 15+ hours, in a blizzard. For me, that was a huge step. My first thought was, "If I say no or not yet, does that mean I have to move back?" Secondly, it was lame. I hate stuffed animals! The ring was in a box that a stuffed teddy bear was holding. The point here... know your audience. If she hates something, don't incorporate it into the proposal. I'm a sports nut. I would have loved one of those, go to a hockey game and find the proposal question on the big screen type proposals. Third, he just had me get the box with the bear in it from the closet, open it, and looked at me... as if I was just supposed to see the ring and jump into his arms, while shrieking, "YES!" Uh... NO. I was in shock... and not in a good way. It would have been nice if there had been some profession of his love for me... and hearing the actual question... "Will you marry me?" After what seemed like an eternity of just staring at the bear and ring, he finally says, "Well...?" Really, dude?
    Me: "Well, what?"
    Him: "Well...?"
    Him: "Well... will you?"
    Me: "Will I what?" I was getting really annoyed by this point and freaked out because I was NOT ready.
    Him: "Well, will you... marry me?" (Long pause with no reply from me.) "...eventually?"
    Me: "Well... eventually, yes."

Huge mistake.

Oh, and fourth, DO NOT propose on a holiday!

Sorry about all the "what not to do" suggestions, but sometimes knowing what not to do is just as helpful as knowing what TO do. Good luck!

That was hilarious!!! Thanks for sharing your story.

I'll tell you my story.

I became pregnant (I was on the pill) and my boyfriend said, I guess we should get married. Six years later, we got divorced.
  • Phenylethylamine_Phreak
    Phenylethylamine_Phreak Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options

Imma go put my hair up in a bun and find some glasses now. (humph)

yes please !!!!! *bucket list #13 - done!*
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has to be over the top. Find a way that has meaning to you, and it should be a surprise of course! It could be just something simple and romantic.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If your in love it won't matter how he/she proposes. The point is that it should be the right person and someone you can spend your life with.

Personally I think too many women are hung up the romantic "getting married" part and forget that this is really a life time commitment with someone you want to be with.

FYI, marriage does not make you happy with your life. If you don't like your life or yourself marriage will not fix it. Actually Marriage will only make it worse.
  • DarkAngel272
    Options
    I don't think it has to be over the top. Find a way that has meaning to you, and it should be a surprise of course! It could be just something simple and romantic.

I agree, simple and thoughtful makes me swoon.
    Huge over-the-top gestures make me feel a little awkward.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was very disappointed with the way my guy proposed. First, it was WAY too soon. It made me feel trapped. I had just moved half-way across the country to live with him. I mean, literally, just moved. I don't think I had even had a chance to take my coat off yet, after driving for 15+ hours, in a blizzard. For me, that was a huge step. My first thought was, "If I say no or not yet, does that mean I have to move back?" Secondly, it was lame. I hate stuffed animals! The ring was in a box that a stuffed teddy bear was holding. The point here... know your audience. If she hates something, don't incorporate it into the proposal. I'm a sports nut. I would have loved one of those, go to a hockey game and find the proposal question on the big screen type proposals. Third, he just had me get the box with the bear in it from the closet, open it, and looked at me... as if I was just supposed to see the ring and jump into his arms, while shrieking, "YES!" Uh... NO. I was in shock... and not in a good way. It would have been nice if there had been some profession of his love for me... and hearing the actual question... "Will you marry me?" After what seemed like an eternity of just staring at the bear and ring, he finally says, "Well...?" Really, dude?
    Him: "Well...?"
    Him: "Well... will you?"
    Me: "Will I what?" I was getting really annoyed by this point and freaked out because I was NOT ready.
    Him: "Well, will you... marry me?" (Long pause with no reply from me.) "...eventually?"
    Me: "Well... eventually, yes."

Huge mistake.

Oh, and fourth, DO NOT propose on a holiday!

Sorry about all the "what not to do" suggestions, but sometimes knowing what not to do is just as helpful as knowing what TO do. Good luck!

While that's a great story...it proves the point that it depends on the girl. I would HATE to be proposed to on a billboard or in any type of public situation. It is supposed to romantic and intimate and private...but again, depends on the girl! (not knocking anyone else's dreams here!) So you either gotta know your girl well enough to know how she'd like it...or find a way to ask these things.

I agree with no candlelit dinners. It seems suspect. My guy and I do a lot of night walks on the beach so that would be a good time for him (hint hint! bahahaha) because it is very natural and private and I love the beach so it would be a good memory.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm going to (try anyway) and ignore the purposed/proposed error.

I haven't given it much thought, but tbh as long as it's not public (I can't stand public proposals) it should be fine. The more private it is the better IMO.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said to know your audience. My husband and I are both introverts. I didn't want to be proposed to in a restaurant, at a sporting event, or on a holiday in front of my entire family. The way he did it was absolutely perfect for us.

We were separated Mon-Thurs due to circumstances at the time (he was caring for his terminally ill mother on hospice those days) and always really excited to see each other on Friday afternoons. He walked in the door, kissed me, then immediately got down on his knee in the middle of the living room and proposed to me. He had the ring in his pocket (in a box)...that's a good detail for sure. I was wearing a baggy t-shirt with a pair of floral pj pants and I didn't even care! We were both so happy!

ETA: personally I would not have minded at all being proposed to on a holiday, as long as it was in a more private setting. Say at home on Valentine's Day just the two of us, or alone next to the tree on Christmas Eve...something like that would have been totally okay with me. I would NOT want to be proposed to at someone else's wedding though.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, know your audience. I'm completely introverted and often rattled by large crowds. A public proposal, even with just my family, might have sent me over the edge.

My husband proposed to me when I took him out for HIS birthday. The day, I had already decided, would be all about him, so I took him shopping, took him out to eat, etc. We ended the day by watching the sun set over Pearl Harbor, and then he pulled the ring out. I was completely shocked. It was the best. :-D