Garcinia cambogia

Options

Replies

• jeremymertens
    jeremymertens Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I took the bait but did not lose anything on those pills, after researching further most put potassium in as a filler which actually blocks the effect of the garcinia cambogia. I have tried many different "miracle" pills but I believe it boils down to calorie deficit. I started MFP 1 month ago with counting calories and have lost 22 lbs during the month of March. I say don't waste your money and just count calories with MFP. I put myself on an 1800 calorie diet and have made healthier choices with my foods, no soda only water. I have a very hard time eating 1800 calories with eating healthy.
  • hollymccall
    hollymccall Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Save your money. I tried it for two straight months. I maintained my unhappy current weight, but no weight loss. However, when I started reducing my calories, eating healthy, and exercising...I lost two inches of my waist in two weeks. I haven't weighed my self again, only because of my rule not to watch the scale but watch my body change. My.weigh ins are only once every two months.
  • ladyu
    ladyu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    waste of money! does not work!
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Isn't garcinia just a fruit extract ?
    That should tell you something right there. If that's all it is, then by that logic, just adding some fruit to your diet will make you lose weight. But does it? Nope. Eating at a calorie deficit makes you lose weight.
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose some weight and get demotivated when the scales dont show the numbers. I had my thyroid checked a few days ago, turns out I am hypothyroid which slows your metabolism. Get yours checked too.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Side effect of Hep C is Shrinking Muscles .. so TECHNICALLY, they WILL help you lose weight.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I disagree with posters so far. I took it and I thought it worked to take the edge off my appetite. Also hoodia worked at least as well. THE KEY:** take it before you get hungry.** If your hunger hormones have already kicked in, it's not going to overcome that very well. So, I did it like this: FIRST thing in the morning with water (500mg, i believe), then mid-morning,mid-afternoon, and sometimes in the evening after dinner. If I was going to town, I would take some with me, or before I went.
    So you have to stay ahead of your hunger. If you don't mind a regimen, you may like this! Also, no side effects were noted.
    I did that in February and March and consistently lost 1-2lbs per week, because I could maintain a deficit (this is normally very hard for me!).
  • michelleamhill
    michelleamhill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would not take it. But here's something that REALLY helps curb my appetite. I drink Yogi Green Blueberry Slimlife tea. I think maybe any green tea is good, but I like the blueberry flavor of this one. I've been drinking it for months and I just read the ingredients, it lists Garcinia cambogia as an ingredient! It doesn't advertise it and isn't pushing it, and it's been around for years. I have no idea if that is why it curbs my appetite or if it's just the fact that I'm filling up with a warm tea. I only drink one cup a day and I am not trying to starve myself, just not eat mindlessly or binge. The tea helps.

Good luck!
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I disagree with posters so far. I took it and I thought it worked to take the edge off my appetite. Also hoodia worked at least as well. THE KEY:** take it before you get hungry.** If your hunger hormones have already kicked in, it's not going to overcome that very well. So, I did it like this: FIRST thing in the morning with water (500mg, i believe), then mid-morning,mid-afternoon, and sometimes in the evening after dinner. If I was going to town, I would take some with me, or before I went.
    So you have to stay ahead of your hunger. If you don't mind a regimen, you may like this! Also, no side effects were noted.
    I did that in February and March and consistently lost 1-2lbs per week, because I could maintain a deficit (this is normally very hard for me!).
    I appreciate your input. Thanks
  • Thea62913
    Thea62913 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm taking it. There have been inconclusive studies on humans. The NIH and nyu langone have tested. They need more studies. Myself I like that it keeps me away from my boss's 7 candy canisters, over gummi bears I have no control until now. It helps me need less food on my dish, and improves my mood. I've taken it for 21/2 weeks and have seen some improvement. I'm not into numbers just yet, but, I walk now whereas before I was out-of-breath every minute. I feel more energy with less food.
  • ECA67
    Options
    I would not take it. But here's something that REALLY helps curb my appetite. I drink Yogi Green Blueberry Slimlife tea. I think maybe any green tea is good, but I like the blueberry flavor of this one. I've been drinking it for months and I just read the ingredients, it lists Garcinia cambogia as an ingredient! It doesn't advertise it and isn't pushing it, and it's been around for years. I have no idea if that is why it curbs my appetite or if it's just the fact that I'm filling up with a warm tea. I only drink one cup a day and I am not trying to starve myself, just not eat mindlessly or binge. The tea helps.

Good luck!
    Interesting !
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I have a slightly different view from some others here:

Whatever helps you maintain a caloric deficit -- even a placebo like Garcinia cambogia, raspberry keytones, or other such gimmicks -- is worth taking, if you have the money and it's worth it to you.

Just don't start believing the hype (otherwise you'll become one of those nutball evangelists that we have so many of on MFP). Scientifically, these have absolutely zero power to help weight loss, other than the power you give them.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I don't post a lot but I saw this thread & thought I'd throw in my two cents. Several of my co-workers started taking it after one co-worker lost 100+ lbs in six months (using these pills & WW but no exercise). There's at least 10 other people at my job taking it now, with various degrees of success - but the majority have lost 10+ lbs in a matter of weeks. While I agree that diet & exercise are the best ways to do it, I can't argue that it doesn't work per se. I see these co-workers with my own eyes and they claim to not be working out or restricting their diet too badly (following WW & reducing portion-size). I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. If it was just one guy, I'd dismiss it as a fluke...but I've seen it working for several different people at different levels of fitness (one woman took it b/c she wanted to lose 10 lbs before a vacation...and did in 3 wks). You can find it real cheap online, so it probably wouldn't hurt if you wanted to try it. Good luck!

If they are following WW and reducing portion sizes, then they are losing because they have created a calorie deficit, not because of the pill. Save your money, OP.
    +1

ETA: fml, my spelling is terrible today.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I have a slightly different view from some others here:

Whatever helps you maintain a caloric deficit -- even a placebo like Garcinia cambogia, raspberry keytones, or other such gimmicks -- is worth taking, if you have the money and it's worth it to you.

Just don't start believing the hype (otherwise you'll become one of those nutball evangelists that we have so many of on MFP). Scientifically, these have absolutely zero power to help weight loss, other than the power you give them.
    This is terrible advice.

Waste money on something that doesn't work but pretend it does! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

ETA: spelling.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I took my first dose this morning. I wanted to try it because I wanted it to help curb my hunger. I feel like I eat all friekn' day. I just wanted a little help. So far it has not curbed anything...but I have only taken one dose. I felt comfortable trying it. I will give it a good week or two before I stop. I was just curious about it.

I DO eat "all freaking day" every three hours approximately and while I feel that I am eating all the time my calories are usually in check and my energy level maintained. I guess it's all about what you eat and I would rather eat real food than take a lot of other things I don't know much about. I am just a little leary of artificial stuff of any kind.
  • ECA67
    Options
    What are the best supplements to rev up my metabolism ?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Uhm, not possible. Just a lot of bunk suggesting that it's true, in order to sell you stuff. File in same drawer as GC - people trying to take your money by making outlandish unproven claims.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Have you considered having a full hormone panel done to see where your levels are? I would suggest going to a female doctor, as they will probably be able to relate to your struggle more....I used a chiro to get the order for the lab draws (she knows what to order). My insurance is very good and paid for it...you should check your insurance before proceeding as it is expensive testing.

Skewed hormones affect everything, including mood and energy. It might be worth checking it out!
  • Mail_Girl1009
    Mail_Girl1009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey OP! Just wanted to let you know my experience... Remember everyone is different! A friend of mine and I decided to try it out. She got the ones from walmart and I ordered the 1234 Garcinia from vitamin shoppe. I started taking mine and after two or three days, I had a terrible headache that would not go away. Thinking it was sinus related, I kept taking the garcinia. On day 5 I started having lower back pain. So I quit taking them for about a month. No headache. No back pain. Thought maybe it was a fluke, so tried the walmart ones... Same thing. Within a week I had a terrible headache and back pain. I quit taking them. My friend had a bad headache with them and some muscle cramps in lower abdomen. She quit them as well. You can try them, but listen to your body... Good luck!