How do you eat your cottage cheese?

Options
Hey everyone!

I plan on incorporating cottage cheese into my diet since it's a good source of protein, and I'm just wondering, how do you eat yours?

Plain cottage cheese is just weird tasting in my opinion, so does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    on a ryvita with sweet chilli sauce. Lovely.
  • brittsway
    brittsway Posts: 12
    Options
    Usually put it on my salad in place of the dressing. Otherwise, I enjoy it with fresh strawberries.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It's nice with berries, oats and honey - even nicer with oats and Nutella :)
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mash banana with hands or strawberries (unmashed... duh :D ) + cottage cheese + banana flavored whey protein (10-15 grams) + almond milk +- 30 grams.

If its a preworkout meal i add dried unsweetened raisins, 30 - 50 grams.

Sometimes i even add around 70 grams of chopped frozen spinach. But i first have to remember to take it out of the freezer to unfreeze couple of hours before. It doesnt add any flavor really, just gives it texture and some nutrients.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    With avocado and a little salt & pepper. Or with peaches (or other fruit).
  • kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I like it just with pepper on it
  • shantz85
    shantz85 Posts: 41
    Options
    I completely agree that it's weird alone. I eat it every morning with blueberries or strawberries. YUM
  • lysslax
    lysslax Posts: 64
    Options
    I started putting it in my smoothies! It doesn't have as much tang as greek yogurt and really makes it creamy!

I usually will do 1 scoop protein, 1 banana, 1/4-1/2 cup cottage cheese (4% fat), and berries. It is fabulous and a TON of protein.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    You can use it on a taco salad to take the place of sour cream or the regular shredded cheese. Even using 4% cottage cheese (which can be hard to find) the calories are way lower than 14% sour cream and 20-30% cheeses.
    I like to make lazy lasagna by mixing cottage cheese into my spaghetti on the plate, topping with a bit of shredded lower fat mozza and broiling in the oven.

For a cheesecake kind of dessert, mix fresh strawberries or fresh/canned pineapple into it and eat a scoop in a fancy wineglass.
  • Judles874
    Options
    I like it mixed with some tuna, green beans and sweetcorn. I guess if you like them (I don't) some sweet pepper too.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    with a spoon most of the time. a fork works too.
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like it on ryvita with slices of tomato and cracked pepper - yummmmmm.

Also use it in place of cheese sauce when I make lasagna. Tastes really good.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Salsa! I love love love cottage cheese with a spoonful of salsa on top.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    with a spoon most of the time. a fork works too.

QFT
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but I really dig lemon pepper seasoning on it. For sweet, I'll do strawberries or blueberries.
  • the_only_solution
    the_only_solution Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    with fruit. Or in lasagna to cut the ricotta cheese amount.
    My roommate eats it with Italian dressing. Loves it. I can't even imagine. :P
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I put pepper on it. Or if I am at a salad bar, I sprinkle bacon bits on it.

I hate it with fruit, that's just wrong ;)
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Salsa! I love love love cottage cheese with a spoonful of salsa on top.

Me too! Recently I've been mixing it, heating in the microwave and dipping homemade baked tortilla chips. Yum!
  • DontEatTheCake3
    Options
    That's actually kind of funny.. My mother and her family all eat it with thousand island dressing. xP
  • DontEatTheCake3
    Options
    with fruit. Or in lasagna to cut the ricotta cheese amount.
    My roommate eats it with Italian dressing. Loves it. I can't even imagine. :P

Meant to post this as a quote.. oops.

That's actually kind of funny.. My mother and her family all eat it with thousand island dressing. xP