Eating healthy, working out, but not seeing results?

Options

Replies

• kelsielecrone
    kelsielecrone Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is either a great troll thread or the OP is legit going to die soon.

Either way, I'm in.

You, my not-so friend, are an *sshole.

And you are either a lying sack of marbles or are seriously in danger. I would wager on the former. It is impossible to be averaging 600-800 calories per day and burning 1000 a day. You would not be able to do 3.5 hours of cardio. So like I said, you are a liar, and it really perturbs me. You are craving attention and I am sick of people like you. You are not a medical anomaly. You are not the exception. Now get in line, eat right, exercise right, and the weight will come off.

Go ahead and think whatever you want, but I'm not a liar.
    I enjoy cardio, which is why I did so much of it.
    And that IS all I was eating in calories. I've upped my calories since.

I never said I was a medical anomaly, or an 'exception'.
    I was just curious as to why I wasn't losing weight.

And I found out the problem.
    I wasn't eating enough, and I was overdoing it.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    Yeah, it's literally impossible to be doing what you're doing. No human in the world can eat 600-800 calories a day while doing 3 hours of cardio and gain weight. Not unlikely, not rare, literally physically impossible.

Metabolic adaptation is possible, but not to the degree you're suggesting. You're claiming your body is over 100% efficient which violates basic conservation of energy laws.

I have said that I STOPPED gaining weight, once up upped my cardio.
    My question was as to why I wasn't LOSING weight.
    My weight was stuck at 201.
    I plateaued.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    This is either a great troll thread or the OP is legit going to die soon.

Either way, I'm in.

You, my not-so friend, are an *sshole.

And you are either a lying sack of marbles or are seriously in danger. I would wager on the former. It is impossible to be averaging 600-800 calories per day and burning 1000 a day. You would not be able to do 3.5 hours of cardio. So like I said, you are a liar, and it really perturbs me. You are craving attention and I am sick of people like you. You are not a medical anomaly. You are not the exception. Now get in line, eat right, exercise right, and the weight will come off.

As bad as I hate to, I agree with this.

Sometimes people just need to hear it. I am a man of the people and it needed to be done. If you need to lie on a weight loss website where so many great people work their tail off every day in order to have a better life, then you need to leave. I am tired of sorting through the filth on this site and I have only been here since January.

"I am a man of the people"... no, you're a jerk.
    Just because you don't believe someone, you decide to attack them, and accuse them of being a troll.
    It was a legitimate question.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    I do think the 600-800 calorie a day doing 3 hours of cardio is unlikely but its not impossible.

From personal experience I can say that I have done about 10 hours of cardio a day in a way that made my net caloric intake about -3500 calories per day. I lost about 10 pounds in 12 days with no lean muscle loss and at the end of it I've never felt more fit in my life. That caloric deficit with that much workload did not make my body shut down, actually quite the opposite I was practically bouncing off the walls when I was done, it was hard to sit still I had so much energy.

That said OP I am NOT suggesting you continue doing that much cardio on that few calories, it is clearly not doing you any favors.

So you did this every day for years and drastically lost and GAINED weight? (this is what the OP claimed happened)

Yeah, didn't think so.

1. I never said that I was doing the amount of cardio that I'm doing now, while I was gaining weight. However, I was still working out.
    2. Instead of the 3.5 hours that I'm doing now, I was only doing about 1.5 - 2 hours. But my miles were extremely slow... so 2 hours = 4 miles. 30 minute miles.

Just get the hell of this thread.
    You're not wanted.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    Okay everyone.
    Here's the deal.
    You either shut up, and quick being a bunch of ****s to me, or you're gone.

This was a legitimate question.
    I was NOT gaining weight while doing that much cardio.
    Once I upped the cardio, that's when I started to lose the weight again. Did you guys seriously skip that part?
    Or do you just have selective reading?

And I was NOT counting my calories wrong.
    95% of what I ate, had the calories smack dab on the side (or back) of the box/can/carton/etc...
    I measured, I weighed. Everything was being done properly.

Now you see why I was so confused.

I was able to get in to see my doctor a day early, and the only conclusion that she could come up with, is that my metabolism is just THAT bad, that it wasn't burning the amount of calories it was supposed to.
    So, even though my wrist calorie burner thing, and the calorie burner on the mfp app both said that I was burning that much... It's possible that I wasn't.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Okay everyone.
    Here's the deal.

Gone where? Sounds like you're threatening people...

You've got sound advice already.

Give it a rest.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Eat more, exercise less, log accurately and be honest with yourself because what you are doing is unhealthy. That's it, end of story period and that is all you will hear from anyone here over and over and over so not sure what answer you are waiting for but if its not that answer you will be waiting a long time.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Okay everyone.
    Here's the deal.

Once I upped the cardio, that's when I started to lose the weight again. Did you guys seriously skip that part?

95% of what I ate, had the calories smack dab on the side (or back) of the box/can/carton/etc...

I was able to get in to see my doctor a day early, and the only conclusion that she could come up with, is that my metabolism is just THAT bad, that it wasn't burning the amount of calories it was supposed to.
    So, even though my wrist calorie burner thing, and the calorie burner on the mfp app both said that I was burning that much... It's possible that I wasn't.

I'm sorry but it is physically impossible that your metabolism is "that bad" enough to account for maintaining or even gaining weight while netting negative calories. That is impossible in the most literal sense of the word breaking all known laws of physics energy and heat. Your body is presumably at 98.6 degrees fareniheit right now, your brain is functioning and your heart is beating. Those functions alone make up most of your BMR and they aren't going away.

If you aren't losing weight there are just three possibilities.

1) You are eating more than you think in calories
    2) You are burning less than you think in calories

As a 200 pound woman there is absolutely no way that your body does not require at least 1000 calories to just function. I mean think of it this way, it takes 1 Calorie to heat 1 kg of water by 1 degree Celsius. Your body is currently 12 degrees above room temperature and maintaining at that to stay alive. At 200 pounds you are 90 kg. If you died in 24 hours your body would likely be room temperature That means that your body temperature alone represents a 1,080 calorie difference. It doesn't matter how "weak" your metabolism is you still have to maintain your body temperature and you clearly are.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    OP, you may want to double-check your numbers. I noticed a few discrepancies.

1. A box of Mac N Cheese is not 550 calories. I am assuming you are using the kind with the creamy cheese pouch since you said you couldn't eat the powdered stuff. I checked the nutritional information and it would more more like 1000+ calories.

2. What kind of chicken meal at McDonald's is 1500+ calories? I just stuffed myself on a grilled ranch BLT and a medium fries (yeah, I'm being naughty) . It came up to 820 calories and has about three times the volume of your can of green beans. If that is truly as much as your stomach can handle at a time, there is no way you were consuming more than 400-500 calories even of "bad" food.

3. Walking at 2 mph is not what most of us consider cardio. Honestly, I wouldn't even count it. I warm up between 3.5 and 4 mph. I think most of us thought you were doing some sort of intense workout for 4 hours a night. You are probably only burning about 200 calories an hour and that is including your BMR (what you would have burned even at rest).

A cup of Musselman's applesauce, which I believe you said was your breakfast, is 180 calories, according to the database.
    A box of Mac N Cheese, Velveeta brand, is about 1000 calories
    A can of green beans is 70 calories (every brand I checked).

So, assuming that is what you ate, you consumed 1250 calories, not including a dinner you may or may not have had for (what was it) 600 calories? We can see that you are consuming more than you thought and working out less than we thought. It does not sound to me like you have any medical anomaly. It sounds pretty normal.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

1. A box of Mac N Cheese is not 550 calories. I am assuming you are using the kind with the creamy cheese pouch since you said you couldn't eat the powdered stuff. I checked the nutritional information and it would more more like 1000+ calories.

2. What kind of chicken meal at McDonald's is 1500+ calories? I just stuffed myself on a grilled ranch BLT and a medium fries (yeah, I'm being naughty) . It came up to 820 calories and has about three times the volume of your can of green beans. If that is truly as much as your stomach can handle at a time, there is no way you were consuming more than 400-500 calories even of "bad" food.

3. Walking at 2 mph is not what most of us consider cardio. Honestly, I wouldn't even count it. I warm up between 3.5 and 4 mph. I think most of us thought you were doing some sort of intense workout for 4 hours a night. You are probably only burning about 200 calories an hour and that is including your BMR (what you would have burned even at rest).

A cup of Musselman's applesauce, which I believe you said was your breakfast, is 180 calories, according to the database.

So, assuming that is what you ate, you consumed 1250 calories, not including a dinner you may or may not have had for (what was it) 600 calories? We can see that you are consuming more than you thought and working out less than we thought. It does not sound to me like you have any medical anomaly. It sounds pretty normal.

QFT. This, this, this.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Okay everyone.
    Here's the deal.

We're gone? To where? You going to kick us off the internet? LOL. What you were saying is impossible, no matter how you slice it. You can't burn more than you take in and gain weight. It's like a car traveling 100 miles and having more gas than when it started without adding any gas.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's literally impossible to be doing what you're doing. No human in the world can eat 600-800 calories a day while doing 3 hours of cardio and gain weight. Not unlikely, not rare, literally physically impossible.

Metabolic adaptation is possible, but not to the degree you're suggesting. You're claiming your body is over 100% efficient which violates basic conservation of energy laws.

I have said that I STOPPED gaining weight, once up upped my cardio.
    My question was as to why I wasn't LOSING weight.
    My weight was stuck at 201.
    I plateaued.

Still literally impossible. It would be nearly impossible to believe a 200 lb person in a coma could maintain their weight on an 800 calorie diet but to believe an active 200 lb person with 3 hours of cardio a day could maintain on 800 calories?

Literally impossible. Unless you happen to live in a different universe than the rest of us where the laws of thermodynamics don't apppy.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options

I eat Musslemans applesause and its 50 calories.
  • moosegt35
    Options

It's actually 90 for 4 ounces, per their website. 8 ounces per cup = 180 cals per cap. But good argument
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

That's your only response? What about all these other huge issues?
  • moosegt35
    Options

That's your only response? What about all these other huge issues?

Not to mention that response was wrong.
  • lauraashley09
    lauraashley09 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Still literally impossible. It would be nearly impossible to believe a 200 lb person in a coma could maintain their weight on an 800 calorie diet but to believe an active 200 lb person with 3 hours of cardio a day could maintain on 800 calories?

Literally impossible. Unless you happen to live in a different universe than the rest of us where the laws of thermodynamics don't apppy.

This.
    The replies where people are telling her to eat more? No. She doesn't need to eat more because I'm 1000000% sure she is already eating enough. If she were not eating enough, she would have 10000% sure lost weight.
    Also, you say you are doing 4 hours of cardio, but how often do you actually do this, because according to your post where you posted: "Here's a basic breakdown of what my workout consists of.

I generally walk/run/jog 10 miles/day... but the weather has been really bad lately, so it's been cut down. Way down.
    I have a minimum of 3 miles that I allow myself to walk/day.
    Next week is going to be warmer... and not raining... so this should be back to normal.

Stairs were just added today as a substitute, for not being able to walk due to bad weather.

And I just forgot to log my Russian Twists for the past week. whoops. lol

I can only jump rope on nice, warm, not raining/snowing days... which hasn't been even once this week. :P

... and Wednesday was just a bad day.
    I got a new mattress the day prior, and it was the first night sleeping on it... I could barely move the next day. lol "

It sounds like you are VASTLY overestimating A) the calories you are burning
    B) the amount of work you put in
    and VASTLY underestimating the amount of calories that are taken in.
  • motivatemychange
    motivatemychange Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anyone's replies but I'm pretty sure they would have written something along the lines as what I'm about to say

1000 calories max is not enough. Just for your body to function everyday requires around 1400calories give or take (depending on your body weight etc.) The absolute minimum you should be eating is 1200. If you eat any less and persistently eat less at this amount, your body will start to think you're starving yourself and will therefore change so that it can retain as much fat in the body as possible as well as absorb as much fat from you do eat. (Example, notice how starving people in poorer countries always have a bloated looking belly?)

I suggest you up your intake to 1400 calories at least and consume healthy foods. Fat is healthy. Your body needs fat whether you like it or not. If you completely reduce this, you will find it a lot harder to lose weight has your body aren't getting the nutrients it can only get from fat. Obviously don't go crazy with the fat but aim for 20% within your daily diet!

As for work out, 1 hour a day is enough. You're pushing your body too hard and not eating enough for it to recover fully! But interval training and strength training an hour maybe 3/4 times a week is good enough and the other days will give it enough time to repair itself!

Sorry for the essay, I hope it makes sense!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options

QFT. This, this, this.

Great response and research, makes sense to me!!
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I was told by my nutritionist to stay below 1200 calories, but above 650... so I'm exactly where I need to be.

Your "nutritionist" is insane and should lose her job.