Do you HAVE to eat egg whites only?

Options

Replies

• Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    I always eat the whole egg, being wasteful just doesn't work for me. Just usually have one and add veggies to it.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options

seriously?? you must be yolking?

This just made me laugh out loud! thank you!!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    The yolk is where all of the nutrition is...definitely eat the whole egg.

I eat eggs a lot. they are low in calories. why waste the yolks?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 eggs for breakfast almost every single morning for the past 2 years. My blood work has been fabulous since I started doing that (high HDL, low LDL and total cholesterol, great ratio). Eggs are good stuff.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg.

I eat whole duck eggs, soooo full of healthy and yummy cholesterol!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Some days I have whole eggs...some days I add some extra whites. Depends on what I'm doing with eggs that day and how many calories I'm willing to invest.
  • lbsNirvana
    lbsNirvana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a cholesterol problem, no reason to avoid yolk...
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The turkey bacon is worse for you than the egg yolk.

I agree with this. The preservatives, sodium, and fat in turkey bacon make it pretty much equivalent to regular bacon. Better to have a slice of ham or back bacon. Or better yet, some sauteed spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, and/or peppers.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    As others have said, all of the nutrition is in the yolk. i do use egg white from a carton along with whole eggs to increase my food volume and protein with less calorie hit, but I always make sure the actual nutrition part is included in there...that would be yolk.

When I make omelets, instead of using 3 whole eggs, I use two whole eggs and then add in extra whites. Gives me the volume and protein of 3 whole eggs without adversely effecting the omelet (in fact, I think it makes it lighter'/fluffier), plus it gives me more caloric room for cheese or other fillings.

But I'll never go to a strictly white omelet.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    but don't like turkey bacon.
    That stuff doesn't even taste like turkey. Makes me wonder what kind of discarded old chicken I'm really eating. :sick:

I don't think I've tried turkey bacon (no real desire there), but I have recently discovered that I don't hate turkey sausage.

Turkey pepperoni is great (IMO) - no gristly, greasy texture like regular pepperoni, but to me it tastes just the same. It's a yummy, high protein low calorie snack. Same thing with the turkey sausage and ground turkey - no nasty gristle! (Ground beef grosses me out.) I do agree, however, that turkey bacon just isn't the same as regular. It's only OK. Some brands are better than others.
  • asurber1
    asurber1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 whole eggs with extra egg white (From costco) every morning with peppers, broccoli, garlic and onion. I think the turkey bacon might be more of a problem
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    but don't like turkey bacon.
    That stuff doesn't even taste like turkey. Makes me wonder what kind of discarded old chicken I'm really eating. :sick:

I don't think I've tried turkey bacon (no real desire there), but I have recently discovered that I don't hate turkey sausage.

Turkey pepperoni is great (IMO) - no gristly, greasy texture like regular pepperoni, but to me it tastes just the same. It's a yummy, high protein low calorie snack. Same thing with the turkey sausage and ground turkey - no nasty gristle! (Ground beef grosses me out.) I do agree, however, that turkey bacon just isn't the same as regular. It's only OK. Some brands are better than others.

Aldi's has turkey bacon that isn't bad, but definitely not in the same league as real bacon. I love turkey sausage though.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    my family is embarking on the journey to eat healthier, and in the morning we tend to have eggs/turkey bacon and fruit for breakfast. This turns into a debate of whether or not to have only egg whites or if a whole egg is going to cause setbacks to our journey. Anyone have regular whole eggs for breakfast?

I prefer to have whole eggs. Some will say that the yolk is full of cholesterol, but there is nothing wrong with whole eggs (as long as you have them in moderation). Besides, IIRC, a whole egg is only about 70 calories. Any other calories depends on how you cook the egg (one goofy diet two family members went on was largely eggs and grapefruit juice. Eggs could be eaten any way BUT fried).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I make big omelettes. Yesterday was 2 whole eggs plus 400ml egg whites. That way I get some fats from the eggs (and nutrients) as well as boosting the protein substantially and the volume massively.
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am so thrilled to see how much everyone likes WHOLE EGGS on this forum!!!!! :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong or unhealthy about having the whole egg. That's my favourite part in fact!
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I usually eat whole eggs and have no shame about it.

I was recently really into scrambled eggs & would sometimes eat them twice a day. That's when I decided I should probably look into egg whites, because I usually have two eggs per scramble & 4 eggs per day is way too much. Even then, I just used egg whites to supplement, so I would have one whole egg and one serving of egg whites in my scramble, instead of two whole eggs. I really liked doing that & felt way better about having scrambled eggs several times a week when the calories/fat/cholesterol were lowered.

That was a short lived obsession and I haven't had scrambled eggs in over a month now I don't think. I can't even eat hard-boiled eggs anymore, and I used to love them. :[ I think I egg-ed myself out.
  • FromAshes2Beast
    FromAshes2Beast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For me, my last blood test showed my cholesterol in the high level. With eggs being so high in cholesterol, I have to stay away from them or just eat egg whites. For french toast I just use egg substitute. But if you are healthy then by all means, eat the whole egg. I don't feel it will set you back from reaching your goals. Best of luck to you!
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    In response to your topic question, I am fairly certain that egg yolk is poisonous and will in fact kill you immediately upon consumption.

so yes, you HAVE to eat only the egg whites!!