Personal Chef Here! Ask Me Anything!

Options

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head! - That's exactly the kind of food I live on, you really do know your stuff!
    I appreciate the time you spent on me really thank you :)
    For the record I can have have about 1oz of blueberries or 1/4 of a banana.
    I still manage to make tasty food!
    Ginger, chili, jalapenos, chili, lime,olives add taste to my vegetable staples.
    Cheers!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    How do I cook the perfect medium rare steak? I usually grill it on a Weber charcoal. My favorite cut is NY strip, but sometimes I switch it up. I can get it right maybe 1 out of 6 times.
  • ultrafishboy
    ultrafishboy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A fellow Michigander! Thank you for offering your expertise.
  • amyfullbrook
    amyfullbrook Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ooo great thread!! Just tagging along for the ride to refer back to later :)
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    ok here ya go:
    cooks in 20 minutes, or at least before the rice cooker is done.
    diabetic friendly
    kid friendly
    peanut free, preferably nut free
    uses inexpensive, conventional foods (no organic whole foods, obscure stuff. i have to get it at either aldi or a big chain)
    uses cheaper cuts of meat
    main dish (like the meat or whatever) under 250ish cals a serving, so i can have a side or two also.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hello, just started roasting vegetables in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. What is your favorite combination. Looking for different ideas. Again, thank you so much for what you do helping others..
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump...and thanks!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ok So I will admit for me COD was not a homerun Pleae advise on a delicious fish recipe (several if you can!)
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend recently discovered kale chips, but they're so expensive! Do you know how to make them at home? We unfortunately don't have a dehydrator.
    And while I'm at it, do you have any recipes for kale in general? I've never cooked the stuff before.
    And lastly, how the heck do you cut onions without crying? I have overly sensitive eyes and I've tried every trick I've heard of. Nothing works.

recipe for kale chips that i have recently tried. was delicious and they turned crispy like real chips. :)

http://localfoods.about.com/od/chipsfriedsomebaked/r/Kale-Chips.htm

i also found the following stew recipe and added it to my "to do" cooking list but i havent tried it yet.

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2013/02/rustic-tomato-rice-kale-stew-comfort.html

about the onion: wear a diving mask :D

edit: i just realised you probably wanted tips from the chef and not from me ;) but maybe youll still like it!

I'm not picky! Thanks for the kale chip recipe! As for the onions.. I thinking of getting a chemical mask from the hardware store. Those will fit over my glasses!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You are so kind and generous to offer you time this way, thanks!

I would like to incorporate extra lean ground turkey into our weekly rotation. Suggestions for a savory turkey burger that will hold together on the grill? I am sensitive to sodium, so flavor from other ingredients would be appreciated. I love to cook with herbs and spices.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I

I

As for Beef and Barley soup, the hardest part is cooking the barley. Everything else is pretty straightforward. I'll go ahead and tell you how to make it, but unfortunately the recipe I use is the same recipe as a restaurant I work at and I signed a nondisclosure agreement, so I can't share specifics =\

First off, the barley:
    I recommend buying the quick barley from your local grocery store (Meijer/Kroger for me) and following the instructions on the box. The barley really turns out quite well! If you'd rather cook it from completely raw, I can walk you through that as well. It's pretty similar to cooking rice.

Cut beef into chunks, around 1/2" to 1" in size (I recommend a roast, they're cheaper than if you buy something like a tenderloin and the meat will become tender anyways!).
    In a stockpot (or something you can use to make soup), heat a little oil over high heat. Sear the beef chunks until brown on all sides.
    Add your favorite beef stock/broth to the pot and stir, making sure to scrape up some of the residue left on the bottom of the pan (Fun fact: this stuff is called "fond" and adds a TON of flavor to the soup).
    Let the soup simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the beef is tender (this really depends on what type of cut you used in the beginning, but rest assured the beef WILL get tender eventually).

While the beef and broth is simmering, saute carrot and celery until the carrot just barely begins to soften (it should still have a good bite to it!).
    Add the onion and saute until it starts turning translucent.
    Once you are done sauteing the veggies, add them to the broth!
    At this point I also like to cut up yellow squash and zucchini to add towards the last 10 minutes of simmering, but it definitely isn't necessary.

Season the soup to your taste with salt and pepper and add the barley. Wallah, you have yourself a pretty darn good beef and barley soup!
    :Thanks for the kindness~
  • leslie345
    leslie345 Posts: 10
    Options
    My boyfriend recently discovered kale chips, but they're so expensive! Do you know how to make them at home? We unfortunately don't have a dehydrator.
    And while I'm at it, do you have any recipes for kale in general? I've never cooked the stuff before.
    And lastly, how the heck do you cut onions without crying? I have overly sensitive eyes and I've tried every trick I've heard of. Nothing works.

I had to step in and give you this recipe. I've been eating kale since WAY before it was popular, so i consider myself an expert :)
    Sunny Anderson's Kale-a-loo recipe is TO DIE FOR!! Google it. I'm sorry but it won't let me pull it up at work.
    Also, saute it in vegetable or chicken broth until very tender then add to quinoa that has been cooked in chicken broth, shred some fresh parmesan on top and you have a powerhouse main or side dish!

Tip for cooking kale (and any other green) - always remove the big ribs that run down the leaves. They take forever to get tender when cooking and by the time they are soft enough, the rest of the kale is mush!

I'll hand it back to the expert now :)
  • rocketblaster
    rocketblaster Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I make curry by tossing stuff together but did NOT know that cornstarch tip! This might just be gold. Thanks!!!
  • rocketblaster
    rocketblaster Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't use recipes for much other than inspiration but feel like I'm in a bit of a rut. I recently purchased the Flavor Bible but was wondering if you had any other tips for those of us who love to cook, are adventurous but need inspiration - without buying a cook book. Any sites that help with those of us who are this weird? :)
  • maryetamfp
    maryetamfp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    So am I!!! :D:D
  • maryetamfp
    Options
    Right... seems that I still need to learn to quote others... >.<
  • maryetamfp
    Options
    Train A leaves the station at 1:38 PM and travels at 45 MPH.

Train B leaves at 1:45 PM and travels at 48 MPH.

How long will it take train B to pass train A?
    2 hours, 20 minutes, and one second, assuming they both left the station at precisely 0 seconds?

Okay, *now* I'm in...

:laugh:

Trying again... So am I! :laugh: :laugh: :happy: :happy:
  • jenk7356
    jenk7356 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    bump so I don't lose the thread!! great stuff here!!!
  • SloRose
    SloRose Posts: 67
    Options
    bump!! Love this thread