Misconceptions You Had as a Child

Options

Replies

• Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    That the world and people in the "old days" were black and white like it looked in old pictures and black and white TV shows.
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There were little people in tv who entertained me.

For some reason I thought they would arrest you if you were performing for a group and cried. Stemmed from a movie in which the protagonist was at the piano performing a sad song thinking of his lost love , secretly wiped his tears and smiled through the song.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I was quite young, I thought my Great-Grandmother was actually Wylie Coyote dressed in a human suit, and that one day she would unzip the suit and get me. I was scared of her for quite a long time !
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    There was a one way street near my house and it went around a curve so I thought it was a one way dead end. I would run past that street cause I thought if it was a one way dead end street you couldn't come out once you went in. If you did you would go to jail for ever. That is why nobody came out of that intersection.
  • 1983ashleigh
    1983ashleigh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There are so many things....

If I went outside by myself at night those aliens wanted to get me, and beam me up.

That there was a reality TV show based off my life, and I didn't know about it. I am pretty sure I gave someone the idea for the Truman Show movie.

That my Sister was actually my Mom, and she didn't want me as her child so she gave me away. Gotta love siblings!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My father has a brother, R. For a long time, he called himself "Uncle J."

For a very, very long time, I thought they were two different people until one day, in front of my parents and my aunt and uncle I said, "We haven't seen Uncle J in a really long time."

Oops.
  • FemmeFatale83
    Options
    After watching Peter Pan my mom told me if I "believe hard enough" I could fly so I spent half a day jumping off the back of my couch lol
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    That gangrene actually turned you green. Like, everywhere.

Again, that the moon followed us in the car. But it was a much more terrifying thought than happy.

Another for the jumping into bed after you turned the lights off. My little sister and I shared a bedroom so we'd take turns endangering our lives.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    That gangrene actually turned you green. Like, everywhere.

Again, that the moon followed us in the car. But it was a much more terrifying thought than happy.

Another for the jumping into bed after you turned the lights off. My little sister and I shared a bedroom so we'd take turns endangering our lives.

HAHAHAHA Love it "took turns endangering our lives."
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    When I was really young, I thought there were actually real tiny people inside the radio singing the songs.

I always wondered why I couldn't send what was left on my plate to all the starving kids in Ethiopia.

I thought that adults knew everything.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I was also afraid of the gingerbread man. I blame my mom's excellent story-telling skills and telling me that once she baked the gingerbread men, she had to place them on a plate very quickly otherwise they'd run away.

My dolls were alive and could be possessed by the devil. ... I blame this one on Catholicism.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I thought the gas station guys name was fly .. it wasn't

I thought coyotes were going to come eat me alive

I thought marijuana plants were just normal house plants that needed extra help

I thought poka roo was real
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    When I was really little, I was terrified of the bathtub because I thought that I would get sucked down the drain with the water when my mom pulled out the stopper. Eventually, my mom started putting a bunch of cherries, grapes or whatever in the bathwater. I would jump in to eat them, and then she would grab a hold of me and start scrubbing away. I was also creeped out by Ronald McDonald (I still am).
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    this is actually sad, but when I was young, I thought that people stop lying when they grow up. Boy, was I wrong.

Ooooo, tough one. Must have had some hurt recently.

Buck up chica! There are honest people around. All the best.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Santa was real...

There - I said it.

1529060.png

Wait....what?

Ahh Crap! Now I have had a prefectly good weekend messed up. Wait till I tell the wife.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I thought our government was controlled by the people.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I always thought a "Coin wash" was where you went to wash your coins
    After watching the movie Critters, I thought Critters were under my bed and would never sleep with my leg hanging over the bed.
    I also did the jump from door to the bed because of the sharks or Critters that were out to get me.
    Babies were born in the cabbage patch and my brother came from a Kangaroo...why I have no idea.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I thought our government was controlled by the people.

Hahaha, oh silly kiddos and their silly ideas.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I thought the standard place for parents to have sex was in the shower because was the only place I knew of where people would be naked. It never occurred to me that people would actually chose to be naked "on purpose", especially in the bed.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    that arnold did it drug free