What do you miss the most?

Options
For those who have been working hard towards their goals, and who have had to give stuff up and make lifestyle changes, one question:

WHAT DO YOU MISS THE MOST?

Chocolate cake? Twinkies? Potato Chips and Dip?

I'll start. For me, I didn't miss the unhealthy food as much as I miss the cigarettes. I stopped smoking, which is a good thing. But I won't lie. I still crave them at least a few times a day. Even after a month of cold turkey.

Replies

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    For those who have been working hard towards their goals, and who have had to give stuff up and make lifestyle changes, one question:

WHAT DO YOU MISS THE MOST?

Chocolate cake? Twinkies? Potato Chips and Dip?

I'll start. For me, I didn't miss the unhealthy food as much as I miss the cigarettes. I stopped smoking, which is a good thing. But I won't lie. I still crave them at least a few times a day. Even after a month of cold turkey.

I got a month of quitting smoking too. To prevent failure on quitting I have a 5 pack of 0 nic carts and a blu ecig w/charger pack sitting in a drawer. That way I have a safe way to relapse briefly.

To answer the topic I miss all you can eat buffets being taken as a personal challenge lol.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Mindless eating and going out to eat.

All the food I used to eat...well, I still eat it - just in smaller portions and the treats are more seldom.

But the mindless eating and frequent restaurant meals had to go. Eating out is more of a treat now, which it should be anyway, so it's better. I still miss it, though, especially since I work in a city with great lunch options and yummy food trucks all summer.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything. I still eat as I please but stay within my calories range.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking over (10) years ago and still get a craving now and then.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i miss being ignorant to calories. LOL.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Buffets!

Not really. I don't miss much other than just not thinking about the calories. But I never want to get back like that again, so I do what I gotta do!

Edit: More like, now that I DO count calories, I CAN'T go back to NOT doing so. I'm too aware of it now and I know better.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i miss being ignorant to calories. LOL.

THIS^^^. I miss being able to snack and try things people offer. Earlier this week a coworker offered to buy me a cookie from whole foods and I had to decline since I had already planned my day out food wise and didn't have room for the splurge...
  • foreveran27
    foreveran27 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mountain Dew xD
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything. I still eat as I please but stay within my calories range.

This. And this is a great read as to why:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1241587-everything-in-moderation

PS: Am I the only ex-smoker who doesn't miss it?
  • kstand0053
    kstand0053 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't miss really anything. EXCPET, I use to dump cheese on food, and not think about how much I was adding.
    But know I am careful to stay within my limits, but still kinda miss that.......especially the gooey cheddar!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    My weekend binges of watching movies with bags (yes, multiple bags) of potato chips, cheetos, corn chips, vats of french onion dip, quarts of ice cream, and huge quantities of chocolate. Now *THAT'S* how you reach 325+ lbs at only 5' tall.

There was great comfort in getting lost in that food and passing out in a food induced coma........
  • strunch
    strunch Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Beer. Pizza. Chocolate.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I miss ordering things in the size large. Especially ice cream things.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a bartender and I have been fat/not fat on and off my entire life. I miss being able to hide behind my fat and not have to deal with unwanted sexual advances as much. I liked being able to feel invisible.

I also miss my eating disorder and the relief that it would give me from psychological pain at the time (the physical pain would take my mind off emotional pain). I have been learning to become comfortable with being uncomfortable but it's hard not to substitute a different destructive behavior to get that immediate relief.
  • MindainVA83
    MindainVA83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to miss having a cheeseburger until I took a bite of one, it tasted waaaay different than I remembered. Don't miss it so much anymore.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a bit over 1 1/2 years ago and I only miss it when a craving hits again or when I'm super bored or stressed.

As for food..there's nothing I miss because I don't cut out foods. I've just taken/still taking the long road of teaching myself moderation and smaller portions in order to fit into my calorie goals.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I now live by moderation and eat what I want as long as I stay in my calorie range.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out foods, but there are definitely times where I can't have something because it's just too hard to fit it into my day. For example: A burger and fries out at a pub. It's like 1000 calories+ for that. So delicious, but I have to really watch myself the rest of the day for that bit of deliciousness.

So, like others, I miss not worrying about the calories in things. I know I can't go back at this point though. I never want to be that big (or even this big!) again.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Ignorance about what I was eating and how many calories were in it - now it seems the counting calories/food planning consumes a lot of my time/energy.

Otherwise like others have said all in moderation - though I've given up candy it only has become a problem during that time of the month for me (TMI I know) but I don't indulge.