I'm sabotaging my overweight husband

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    sabotage is baking 3 dozen of your boyfriend's favorite kind of cookie and sending them to him. all of them.

that's how I roll.

:devil:

Lol
  • geekandgranola
    geekandgranola Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We all make our own choices in life and he's not going to change unless he wants to. That being said, both my husband and I have problems with self-control when it comes to the foods we love so we both work together to keep those out of the house in large quantities. If I want something sweet, i go out and buy a single serving just for myself. If he wants pizza, he grabs some at a single slice place at lunch. We both make adjustments for each other (I hide my chocolate, he doesn't suggest ordering pizza because I'll always say yes) to be encouraging.

And as a baker, instead of leaving food in the house, I always bring it to work. Even if that means I have to bake a dozen brownies twice in one week just to get two brownies that week and bring the rest to work. At least my coworkers will always love me and I'm not leaving tempting foods around the house that both of us will over-indulge in.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Invite some friends over to have some brownies too!

Sabotage the entire neighborhood?
    17f9448a3c9b992c1e75543e5c16912af469b48a3e74a37b8c95a31550cc8b1f.jpg
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think the most effective solution is to bake/cook what you NEED.

Leftovers are great for a quick meal when you're in a hurry, but it isn't worth cooking that much if the portion becomes 'seconds'.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I understand OP's position, but as an old timer to marriage (30 years), I guess I have to add what I ended up doing. My husband, too, was always somewhat overweight. When we first got married, he put some more on because he would eat a big lunch at work and then whatever I made. I also occasionally would bake and baked even more after I had kids; we even owned a bread machine that I used almost daily. He gained and lost through various diets but always put it back on. Sometimes I'd join him, for instance, to lose post-baby weight, but overall, I was always someone who could keep it off without much effort. Then when he was in his 40s, he underwent a lot of personal stresses -- both his parents died, his brother had some very serious problems with mental illness and alcohol, and my husband also ended up traveling a lot. The upshot, he put on even more weight and would get sick often with cellulitis in his legs. His doctor at the time was somewhat negligent, but when he changed doctor, he was diagnosed as Type II diabetes. We got rid of all the "white foods" and when he was home, the food that was available and prepared was food that he could eat. Regardless, he still would eat badly, not exercise, etc. I nagged him so much that he became angry and resentful. So I said, "I'll stop nagging if you buy extra life insurance with a long term care rider." We went to the insurance agent, and the premiums for this thing because of his weight and diabetes are $550 a month. That was one of the wake-up calls of what his eating was costing, both in terms of health and finances. One of the major factors for us is that I am 5'1.5". There is no way I could care for my husband at home if he were disabled. He doesn't eat perfectly now, but I have to admit, he is more active and much more in control than in the past, even when he travels. So I guess there are three things:

1. You need to support him by changing how you are eating at home. That might mean not baking a batch of brownies or an apple pie. The only time I bake now is to bring stuff to pot luck or family events. Then I leave it there! If you want a "goodie" eat it on your own time, when you're out with girlfriends or when he's not around.
    2. This may sound contradictory, but you also have to keep in mind that he's still responsible for his own eating and actions. My DH travels and I can't control what he's eating then. I can only eliminate temptation at home, and I have to let go of what's happening elsewhere.
    3. At some point, both of you, especially if he's older, have to confront the health and financial consequences of his weight and eating. This is both of your futures, and it's not like he might just keel over from a heart attack. If you have children, his eating behavior is affecting not just himself, but your family's security. He could end up needing long term nursing care as a consequence of diabetes or other illnesses related to overeating. My husband's dad was dead at 66 from heart disease and cancer, his mom at 73 from dementia and pancreatitis due to acute diabetes. She spent the last 10 years of her life in and out of nursing homes and skilled care.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    On the healthy food note, try Emilybites.com if you never have. Gosh her stuff is good. I have been a follower of skinnytaste for a long time and try foods from lots of other bloggers too, but honestly none of them are consitent like emilybites. I'm rarely impressed (even with skinnytaste) but Emily's recipes, while not high brow, are amazing 90% of the time in my book.

Your husband may not realize how much weigh he has gained...most of us can relate to that...and of a sudden you see a picture of yourself and you are like "Oh my god I'm so much fatter than I thought." I'm sure he knows he's gained, but maybe doesn't think it's so bad. If you happen to get him to look at some current pictures he might just bring up the topic himself and, if he does, that's your opportunity to offer to help. Offer to make healthy meals, get him to sign up for MFP, go for walks with him. Maybe even suggest a healthy contest between the two of you...weight loss or number of steps in a week...something to get that male competitive nature going :-)

When it comes to your own eating habits, if you feel like you are standing in his way maybe think of ways you can help like you can have brownies, but only at work so they aren't in the house. You are asking a lot of him not to eat the brownies if you are going to have them in the house and he has trouble resisting them. It's probably just as hard for him stay away from the brownies as it is for you...harder maybe because he has to see you eat them. If you want him to stay away from them, I think you should be willing to ask the same of yourself. (even if you are actually ASKING him to stay away).
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I do the oppisite. All the food in the house is healthy. If I'm going to the grocery store and he asks for a chocolate muffin I bring him back a chocolate clif bar and a bag of trail mix lol. I don't buy junk for him. If he wants junk he buys it himself.

Hubby has high cholesterol and I want to keep him around.

Edit for spelling failz
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Leftovers are great for a quick meal when you're in a hurry, but it isn't worth cooking that much if the portion becomes 'seconds'.

My actions have the opposite effect on my boyfriend. He eats what I prepare and effortlessly loses weight while I've taken the initiative to research, weigh, and prepare food; calculate and log numbers; and lead the exercise (right now i'm in a slump).
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My husband is the saboteur in our house. He has diabetes (and its' not getting controlled very well), and I have both diabetes and high blood pressure. But he likes to bake and cook and he likes/loves/adores carbs like no tomorrow. We have a tendency to sabotage each other. I have decided that making small changes is going to work best for us. If I try to initiate an overhaul he balks. So I have started making just enough for us to eat for a meal. Oh you want seconds? Too bad! (of course, I just started cooking too....I hate cooking). I am trying to use healthier options as well. Also, try to find recipes that are one shots. Like you can do cookie in a mug or brownie in a mug if you want just ONE so that it quells the cravings. They are DELICIOUS and there are NONE left over for anyone to munch on later. I have found that that works better for my house. That's about all you can do to help him and you until he's ready to take the plunge for himself.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    Ultimately, he has to decide whether to partake or not, but from personal experience, it's easy to succumb to treats when they are "there". The times when I had the most success losing weight are when I was NOT in the proximity of food. Yes, my will-power can be weak. I agree with those who suggested sharing with neighbors/coworkers, freezing, or just making a smaller batch. I also think talking to him about your concern for his health might be helpful.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I try and do that, but sometimes it's not possible (like brownies, really, I don't have a 2x2 pan, lol, and mostly dividing 2 eggs by 16 is a little difficult).
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love baking and we both love eating. That said, when I make something as a treat, we each have a serving the day I make it, then I slice up the rest into individual servings and stick them downstairs in the freezer. Thereafter, whenever one of us wants a treat, he or she can go downstairs, get it out of the freezer and thaw it (or not!) to have. This really seems to work for us, I don't make HUGE batches of anything, and everything I do make (a tray of squares, a batch of cookies, whatever), I enter as a recipe into MFP and he enters into his app (LoseIt) so that we can both be realistic.

I've found a few recipes that are lower calorie (my gingersnaps are only 55 calories each) and some that are just worth it even though they are high calorie (pie, pie, PIE!). When I make pies, I make several 5" pies rather than 1 large one...we can split a small pie between us for dessert (at around 250 cal per piece) and that way we don't thaw a large pie and then "well, we HAVE to eat it now". It isn't a perfect system, obviously, and does rely on being either too lazy to go downstairs to raid the freezer OR forgetting something sweet is available, but it works for us. The individual servings are key.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    had Rocky Road Brownies Yesterday. I cut each brownie into quarters and left them at work. I had 1 bite, each 1/4 piece was 90 calories! So i got my taste and my co-workers and boss loved them. I also left some for the kids in the fridge, they put the brownie pieces in chocolate ice cream.

So essentially, have your "taste" and then outta sight, outta mind. Give him a little double serving and freeze the rest.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    After you guys each have brownies for a night, bring it to work and share them with the coworkers. Or if you want to save your coworkers too, take them to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen.

This is a great idea :flowerforyou:
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can go to a convenience store and get an individual sized brownie for yourself.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both tend to snack and eat seconds. So we don't keep junk in the house, and try to cook only what we are going to eat. It takes more work (and honestly it means that I'd rather go buy a brownie and eat half of it than cook a whole pan) but its helped us a LOT not to have the food in the house.
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I try and do that, but sometimes it's not possible (like brownies, really, I don't have a 2x2 pan, lol, and mostly dividing 2 eggs by 16 is a little difficult).

You could Google or search Pinterest for brownies/cake/cookies in a mug. It's a single serving option.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Has your success not inspired him at all?

I know it is hard to believe, but there are people out there for whom "losing weight != success".
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    After you guys each have brownies for a night, bring it to work and share them with the coworkers. Or if you want to save your coworkers too, take them to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen.

^^This... or freeze for another day. Or make half batches.... there are a lot of options.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options

This is what I do. I make a whole batch, eat what I want, put some aside for my husband if he wants some, and pack the rest to take to work.

You guys are the reason for all the "OMG free food at work what do I do!?" threads