weightloss pills that worked for you

Options

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to go into physician advised weightloss medications because that's not what you need.

A habit of 500 calories a day with refusal/inability to eat more than that is a sign of anorexia. Regardless of height/weight, the FDA and CDC, along with countless studies and nutrition experts, state that the minimum intake requirement for a healthy adult is 1200 calories.

A person that had gastric bypass is rarely recommended a diet under 1200 calories, and they are also highly supplemented. I always ask, if the people who have the most weight to lose and have the most significant health reasons to lose are still not guided under the 1200 calorie mark, why would you think it was a good idea?

I promise you, that low of intake is a recipe for disaster of the utmost. Adaptive thermogenisis is the reason why you feel like you can't eat more. Luckily, it's easily adjusted with small dietary changes.

See a doctor, please.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    Diet pills are very unhealthy for you and most don't even work.
    Watch your calories and do cardio and you will lose weight. Don't rely it on just diet pills.
    I find diet pills are just for lazy people who want to try and lose weight by doing nothing.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    Synedrex is the best esp b4 a workout and can go forever. hard to find now, but i just ordered a couple more bottles.:smile:
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't eat more then 500 Cal's a day...but I'm short 5'2- I can't eat 1200 calories if I wanted that's too much for me.
    I cut out meats, and bad carbs such as bread and potatoes, chips, sweets.
    Pineapple, watermelon strawberries...and sometimes ill have a palm full of dried fibre cereal.

i'm 4'10. i eat around 1800 calories a day and i workout. i still lose weight. 500 calories a day is... insane. that's one of my meals. (diary is open, feel free to peek). you can't use your height for this one. try using a calculator here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ this should give you a more accurate idea of what you need to eat.

But seriously, consider improving your diet, eating actual food and more of it. you need the calories to fuel your workouts and maintain lean mass. if you're still having issue after that, definitely speak to your doctor. you don't need pills as a great many of us on this site are walking proof.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    been there done that, there is no magic pill.

357keuc.jpg
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I've used phentermine, but it's not a "diet pill", it's an appetite control pill. The pill doesn't lose weight for you. You still have to get to the gym & sweat. The pill just makes it easier to eat reasonable (healthy) portions.

It was so surprising and _wonderful_ the first few days I took it - I was not hungry!!! :bigsmile:
    I've never felt jittery or keyed up, never had trouble sleeping, nothing bad has happened.

I've had it for 2 months now, and I think my body has pretty much reset its hunger thermostat, which is what I expected / hoped would happen. Even on the days I don't take it, I'm rarely hungry.

My doctor said that usually it's taken for 2 months, then the person is off of it for a month or two, because of concerns over blood pressure, so I'm expecting to be on my own for at least another month.

But now that the hunger trigger has been set to a more normal & healthy level, I don't anticipate much of a problem, if any, with my appetite during that time.

However... I have been steadily losing 1-2 lb per week while on it; this last week when I haven't taken it, I've stayed level or gained a couple pounds, even though I've increased my exercise to 45-55 min on the elliptical every day, and 25 min of weightlifting at least every other day (sometimes every day, depending on how I feel). As I said, _you_ have to get to the gym & sweat.

So there's no magic pill, but there are things that can help you achieve your goal.
    Good shoes can help you be more comfortable while you're walking, or doing whatever other cardio exercise you choose.
    A food scale & measuring cups can help you learn portion sizes.
    Phentermine is something that can help you control your appetite, learn to eat reasonable portions, and potentially reset your body's hunger mechanism. But you have to see a doctor.
    It's a tool. The good or bad, success or failure, depends on what you put into it.

Phentermine is a serious medication that should not be recommended to someone eating anorexic levels already. The appetite suppressive mechanism of the medication drives the natural hunger impulse to next to nothing, which OP is already at.

There are some inaccuracies in your statement, however.

Phentermine is indicated for BMI >30 or >27 if complications due to obesity exist. It suppresses appetite while causing certain chemical reactions to occur, encouraging the breakdown of fat. It's only intended for people with major obesity issues. So, in this sense, it does make you lose weight, whether you intend to or not. It also literally speeds up your heart rate and raises the core temperature. These effects are the reasons why you have to watch your BP and heart health while taking it. The time limitation of dosage is because of stress effects on the heart.

Pharmacologically, the therapeutic expectation of the intended effects is known to last approximately 3-4 weeks, but can be prescribed up to 12 weeks as long as well-tolerated by the patient. Tolerance of the medication is indicated by the return of hunger.

It's entirely possible to not lose weight when exercising on Phentermine. If you don't eat anything at all, or you undereat significantly, you'll have the same exact stalls you have eating anorexic levels without medication.

I hate when people talk about it like it's no big thing... I'm taking it but only after 2 years of study, consideration, and struggling. It's a last resort, not a go-to. It's definitely not intended for someone who's not eating enough to start with.
  • C3001
    C3001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The TRUTH pill!

It totally works. First, be honest about what your are currently putting in your body. Second, decide what changes should be made to lead a healthier life. Lastly, implement said changes.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    After reading how little you're eating, I agree that you need to learn some things before you do any more damage to your body.
    :noway:
    If you're only eating 500 calories per day, and it sounds like you're not even trying to eat a balanced diet (carbs, fat, protein), it's no wonder you're not losing weight. Your body thinks it's starving (and it is!), so is going to hang onto all the weight it possibly can.

Here's the BMI (body mass index) tool from MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
    If you're 5'2", 135lb would be at the top end of a healthy weight range.

Here's the BMR (basal metabolic rate) tool from MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    This is harder to do without knowing more about you, but if you were a 30yo female and 135lb, your BMR would be 1286 calories per day. (It goes down slightly with age... at 40 that would be 1236.)
    That's WITHOUT exercise!!! That's the absolute minimum you need to run your body & stay alive, basically while in a coma or lying in bed.

(For me, at 45yo and 5'10", my top healthy weight would be 170 and my BMR would be 1496 at that weight.)

Then you need to add in calories for your daily activities - sitting, walking, driving, eating, showering...
    Then add in maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of what MFP is saying you're burning in exercise.
    Eat that much. Heck, for now it sounds like it'd be a victory just to eat the basic 1300 calories.

Once your body figures out that it isn't starving, it has enough fuel to live, it will adjust to the new amount of calories & exercise.
    If you're eating as though you're at your goal weight, that won't be enough to sustain your current weight, so you'll slowly lose pounds to get to that goal weight.

I'd also suggest working out _once_ a day. Go full tilt if you want, get to that almost-can't-walk point, but then give your body time to recover.

And start eating a balanced diet. Lots of varied veggies, easy on the fruits, lean protein, whole grains (quinoa is high in protein), and if you drink milk skip the skim. Try 2%. A little bit of fat is good for you. You need it for your body to work right.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Exercise
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I don't eat more then 500 Cal's a day...but I'm short 5'2- I can't eat 1200 calories if I wanted that's too much for me.
    Pineapple, watermelon strawberries...and sometimes ill have a palm full of dried fibre cereal.
    Rider16-1.jpg

I workout in the morning and in the evening .......
    Intense workouts that leave my legs burning to the point where it hurts to walk.
    been doing this for months and not dropping pounds. My body sucks....

Then you are not eating at a deficit..... weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise

I find it hard to believe you don't eat more than 500 calories a day. If that were true, how did you become overweight in the first place…?
  • bigmike069
    bigmike069 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm no lady, but I bought green tea pills at wal mart for $10. I didn't buy them as a "magic pill" either. the amount of energy (caffeine) these pills provided was through the roof. It's a great feeling knowing I have the energy to get me through the day and be able to sleep at night as well.

I like these pills because it does the same crap as oxy elite or any of those other pills and has the same ingredient which is caffeine. also its only $10 compared to $40 or more at gnc.

but thats just me. you don't need any weight loss pills. I used these because I am an active person and was curious as well.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Notice that it's possible to trim the posts to quote only the part you need to reply to.
    Phentermine is a serious medication that should not be recommended to someone eating anorexic levels already.
    When I posted about my experience, I hadn't gotten through all the posts to the part where she admits she's not eating enough to fuel a toddler. Hence my second post.
    Phentermine is indicated for BMI >30 or >27 if complications due to obesity exist.
    Which is why it's not OTC, but only gotten via prescription.
    diet pills are just for lazy people who want to try and lose weight by doing nothing
    That is wrong, condescending, and cruel.

I'm currently at 37.6 BMI. I could lose 70 lb and if my blood pressure is still high, or any of the various blood test results are still wonky, I'd still qualify to take phentermine.

Hopefully I don't, but I've tried watching what I eat (even before I joined MFP, and for 3 months of logging in here before I saw the endocrinologist who is the intake person for the weight loss clinic I'm working with) and started exercising again, but wasn't losing weight.

With the appetite suppressant, I've lost 15 lb from mid-January, plus over 3" off both my waist & hips.
    It's not magic. I work out every day. It's just another tool to help me get where I need to be.
    If you think that 45-55 min on the elliptical every day, plus 25 min weightlifting at least every other day is "lazy" or "doing nothing", I'd say you're over-exercising.

Besides, what does it matter to you if someone does want an easier route?
    This isn't a contest to see who can put in the most sweat, use the most tylenol because s/he has been exercising so hard.
    What I do to reach my goal doesn't affect you in the least.
    Stop being judgmental.
    If you were stuck, couldn't lose weight no matter how hard you worked or how carefully you controlled what you ate, I bet you'd "cheat" and try an appetite suppressant.
    Or maybe not. Maybe you'd just give up and live with being fat & unhealthy. I don't know. I don't need to know.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Seek professional help.

500 calories a day is not healthy.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm no lady, but I bought green tea pills at wal mart for $10. I didn't buy them as a "magic pill" either. the amount of energy (caffeine) these pills provided was through the roof. It's a great feeling knowing I have the energy to get me through the day and be able to sleep at night as well.

I like these pills because it does the same crap as oxy elite or any of those other pills and has the same ingredient which is caffeine. also its only $10 compared to $40 or more at gnc.

but thats just me. you don't need any weight loss pills. I used these because I am an active person and was curious as well.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about a pill but Meth worked great I was so cracked out that i didnt even care about eating food.
  • angellll12
    Options
    I wasn't eating 500 Cal's all my life. Its easy eating just 500 when your mostly eating fruits and veggies, tiny portions at a time
    Rider16-1.jpg

Intense workouts that leave my legs burning to the point where it hurts to walk.

Then you are not eating at a deficit..... weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise

I find it hard to believe you don't eat more than 500 calories a day. If that were true, how did you become overweight in the first place…?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I wasn't eating 500 Cal's all my life. Its easy eating just 500 when your mostly eating fruits and veggies, tiny portions at a time
    Rider16-1.jpg

Are you quoting backwards? What is this? Also, I can eat way more than 500 calories in nothing but raw fruit and vegetables, just throw a full avacado and a banana in there. BaM. No excuses. Fuel yourself ♡ though, I do prefer to throw in some ice cream at some point, too. For good luck. I'm 5'3.5" 116 lbs and sustain my weight on 2150ish a day. I don't exercise a ton, either.
  • angellll12
    Options
    Sorry I'm on my phone that's why my quoting is all funky.
    I'm glad for you that u can eat ice cream and still stay slim.
    Rider16-1.jpg

Are you quoting backwards? What is this? Also, I can eat way more than 500 calories in nothing but raw fruit and vegetables, just throw a full avacado and a banana in there. BaM. No excuses. Fuel yourself ♡ though, I do prefer to throw in some ice cream at some point, too. For good luck. I'm 5'3.5" 116 lbs and sustain my weight on 2150ish a day. I don't exercise a ton, either.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Why? I eat meat every day -- it has protein and B vitamins and provides you with energy. And I am over 3" shorter than you and I eat 1250 calories per day (minimum).

No -- it's your diet plan that does... you are not eating properly and you are harming your body. Starvation mode is what happens when you don't eat enough for a long enough period of time and your body adapts by conserving as much fat as it can by lowering your metabolism and compromising things like healthy hair, skin, nails and other "non-necessities."

If you would just listen to basic advice -- eat the right amount of calories (not 500 and not 2500 either), exercise and be patient, you would find a lot more success than sitting online asking why your 500-calorie starvation diet that has been proven not to work over and over and over again STILL isn't going to work.
  • angellll12
    Options
    I did not know about 'starvation mode' until I started posting in these forums (yesterday)
    I found out about the 500 calorie diet, and jumped on it. I lost the desire to eat meat, I don't look at it the same. Anything other then fruit and veggies because that's what they say you should do, eat mostly veggies and and fruits. But the story is always changing!
    I'm confused. Lawd.

Why? I eat meat every day -- it has protein and B vitamins and provides you with energy. And I am over 3" shorter than you and I eat 1250 calories per day (minimum).

No -- it's your diet plan that does... you are not eating properly and you are harming your body. Starvation mode is what happens when you don't eat enough for a long enough period of time and your body adapts by conserving as much fat as it can by lowering your metabolism and compromising things like healthy hair, skin, nails and other "non-necessities."

If you would just listen to basic advice -- eat the right amount of calories (not 500 and not 2500 either), exercise and be patient, you would find a lot more success than sitting online asking why your 500-calorie starvation diet that has been proven not to work over and over and over again STILL isn't going to work.