Misconceptions You Had as a Child

Options

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    When I was about 3 or 4, whenever I got tall enough to ride Star Tours at Disneyland, I was convinced by the ride and tourist posters that we ended up on the moon.

I remember walking down the hallway after the ride, amazed that we got to go, and asked my dad "Are we on the moooon?"

I also thought that you had only one opportunity to pick what your job was going to be when you became an adult, so I was constantly re-evaluating my choices and the pros and cons of each job. Lol.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I thought that blood was really blue cause thats what your veins look like, and I thought once it hit the air it turned red....lol

My mom would swear to you that this is true. :embarassed:

This is a common myth! Most well educated adults believe this, I did at one point too!

:huh: I believed this until JUST NOW!! :noway:
  • cowgirlqueen
    cowgirlqueen Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I thought that blood was really blue cause thats what your veins look like, and I thought once it hit the air it turned red....lol

My mom would swear to you that this is true. :embarassed:

This is a common myth! Most well educated adults believe this, I did at one point too!

:huh: I believed this until JUST NOW!! :noway:

wait.... what?? it's not true?? dang I feel dumb :laugh:
  • cowgirlqueen
    cowgirlqueen Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I also thought everyone in the world waved at each other, drove trucks, and wore cowboy hats & boots it wasn't until I moved to the city that I realized that, that was a complete misconception :laugh: there I was 17 years old wearing a cowboy hat & boots and waving at everyone and couldn't for the life of me figure out why people were looking at me so weird and asking do I know you :laugh: :blushing: I'm still embarrassed by that :blushing: :laugh:

Lol this is the curse of the small Texas town. The first time someone didn't wave back, I was like wtf??

lol I know me too!! I couldn't believe it i was in total shock needless to say my city days didn't last long i was completely mind blown that people didn't know their own neighbors lol they new stuff like "well i think he works he always leaves during the day" or "i think they have kids i see toys all the time" lol where i grew up i knew everyone and their birthdays not just my neighbors
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My son thought all of our light fixtures in the house, which are big and spherical with golden knobs in the middle, were big boobies.
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My skinny, blond haired, blue eyed siblings had me convinced I was dropped off by the Fed ex man since I am the complete opposite.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I heard that every time you move, tiny particles of skin would shed, but didn't know that your skin grows. I thought once you used up all the layers of skin you have, that was it. I tried not to move around unnecessarily because I didn't want my skeleton to show.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    When I was a little kid, say 6 or 7, my grandmother used to babysit and we would play the card game Old Maid. I always stuck the old maid up above the other cards if I had it and grandma always picked it. I thought I was being brilliant, and It wasn't until I was in my 30s and we were talking about it and she laughed and said "you thought I didn't know?" hahahaha
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    If a girl kissed you, you would get cooties.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    That foods I didn't like the look of, would taste nasty - this included cashews (ugly peanuts); sweet potatoes (potatoes that had gone bad); Salmon (ick, pink - no other reason needed).

All stuff I actually love as an adult
  • FemmeFatale83
    Options
    I also thought everyone in the world waved at each other, drove trucks, and wore cowboy hats & boots it wasn't until I moved to the city that I realized that, that was a complete misconception :laugh: there I was 17 years old wearing a cowboy hat & boots and waving at everyone and couldn't for the life of me figure out why people were looking at me so weird and asking do I know you :laugh: :blushing: I'm still embarrassed by that :blushing: :laugh:

Lol this is the curse of the small Texas town. The first time someone didn't wave back, I was like wtf??

lol I know me too!! I couldn't believe it i was in total shock needless to say my city days didn't last long i was completely mind blown that people didn't know their own neighbors lol they new stuff like "well i think he works he always leaves during the day" or "i think they have kids i see toys all the time" lol where i grew up i knew everyone and their birthdays not just my neighbors

I love people who are super friendly, wish there were more=)
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    In our family the vagina was called a birdie...swear to God I wondered why it never chirped!!!!

Also, a penis was called a Deet-deet! Don't ask me where they came up with these names..LOL

We used to go to a lake called Okatibee I believe the name was in Meridian, Mississippi...Well after we moved to Hawaii...a few years later me and my sis were talking naming all our aunts and uncles that we missed..and we remembered the name Uncle Tibee. Couldn't for the life of us remember what he looked like, so we asked our parents. They laughed so hard while trying to explain to us that we used to pronounce the name of the lake wrong..so it always sounded like Uncle Tibee....:laugh:
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

oh man, I don't even consider myself a "city girl" since my city is small (50k, metro area of like 200k) but I'm totally the type to live next door to someone for 5 years and have no clue of their name or anything about them. I probably would never even notice if they worked nights or had toys around. haha My mom thinks it's very weird. She will come to visit and ask us questions about our neighbors down the block and my husband and I have never even looked in their direction!

Actually I did notice 2 weeks ago a huge moving truck on the corner, and cars with New Jersey plates. I'm in Missouri so that's not really common. Then today as I was driving to work, I saw a man I'd never seen before bringing out his trash can (from the house where the NJ vehicles were moving in) and I kind of nodded to him & smiled and he looked at me like I was nuts. So I guess I've got some of that small town Midwestern thing in me somewhere, right? haha
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Growing up as a military child in the 60's and 70's...I thought that everyone hated our soldiers... especially living over seas...
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    - That the bands playing on the radio were actually playing live from the radio station...

- That the crew of the Enterprise (from the original series) were lost and were trying to find their way back to Earth

- And thanks to my mom - that if you swallow a watermelon seed, a watermelon would grow in your stomach... I avoided watermelon for YEARS! Even after I was old enough to know better! :laugh:
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I asked my parents what caused the light rays in the sky (you know sunrays and how you can literally sometimes see them) my Dad said it was cars driving around in the sky with the headlights on. I figured it was fishy.... it was really bright out, seemed odd that you'd even need lights let alone be able to see them. I was 5.

I believed that a car really could run on fumes. It was embarassing the day I was riding in a car with my Sister and her friend and her friend mentioned that they were nearly out of gas..... I jumped up and said "It's ok you can run on fumes for awhile!!" They made fun of me. I was 11, my Sister was 18.
  • ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine thought cheese with a wax coating was "real cheese" from cows, as if it was some sort of egg-like thing they laid. Cheese in blocks and shredded cheese were man-made.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I actually believed I could be a giraffe when I grew up! Granted, I was only 2 years old, but still...so silly!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I actually believed I could be a giraffe when I grew up! Granted, I was only 2 years old, but still...so silly!

Hey, with the right attitude, you can be anything you want! FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!