Moderation

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I practice moderation by having something (that isn't really "healthy" or maybe it doesn't fit into my day) if I REALLY, REALLY want it. Usually this means I've been thinking about it for days/weeks and I am willing to accept the fact that I can't have it again for a while, or that I have to eat perfectly for the next few days, etc.

When I was first losing weight, I had a lot of bad habits. I ate 2 donuts every morning for example. I started cutting down to 1, then 1 every other day, then 1 on Fridays, then finally once a month (which I still do now). Now that these habits are broken and new, healthier habits are formed, it's easier for me to practice moderation with the approach of how badly I want something. I don't think that would've worked as well in the beginning.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Moderation is just what they tell you to keep you coming back for their addictive crap.

I have eaten 5 bananas at once on a binge before. Damn those banana trees and their addictive crap.

It's the one food you should never eat!

Why?
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Moderation is just what they tell you to keep you coming back for their addictive crap.

I have eaten 5 bananas at once on a binge before. Damn those banana trees and their addictive crap.

:huh:
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member

Why?

I'm guessing you have AdBlock Plus.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    I moderate by eating mostly whole real food at a slight deficit during the week which leaves me enough flexibility to eat what I like on the weekends.

This is what I do.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

Why?

I think that was meant as sarcasm...
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    I use several of these strategies depending on the food item. There are some foods that I can't have in the house at all (currently Shapes and Cheds -- which are flavoured cracker biscuits for any non-NZers). But for most treat foods that I enjoy (ice cream, chocolate, crisps, etc) I will have them in the house and measure out a portion size that I eat when I feel like it. Usually I have one treat per day. That keeps me sane and balanced.

For me moderation means abandoning the idea of "good" and "bad" food, losing all guilt associated with eating, and instead seeing food as fuel and sustenance. I try and focus on the big picture as much as possible. For the most part I have healthy habits, it's just a matter of maintaining them now.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    For me moderation means abandoning the idea of "good" and "bad" food, losing all guilt associated with eating, and instead seeing food as fuel and sustenance. I try and focus on the big picture as much as possible.

This is what I am trying to get to... Some "extreme" dieting has left me with some mild dis-ordered eating habits.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Mine is definitely the later. If I buy a bag of goldfish or white cheddar popcorn, I eat the whole thing. So on occasion I do just that and don't see a problem with it. (This is seriously like once every two months).

For everything not goldfish/cheddar popcorn, I have a serving when I want it when it fits my macros. I get the big bag and measure though, because it's cheaper.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

Why?

It was a joke. For the longest time that was an advertisement on the internet.
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    I will try and eat it in a limited portion. However, even then it is a risky proposition since one not great food choice can quickly lead to ruin!
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    ffs lose your password
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    * Not eating Doritos regularly, but indulging in a single serving bag when the mood strikes.

That one. My 1450 calories per day are pretty well planned with nutritious foods. Even if I were one of those people who can refrain from eating too many at once, a large bag would be stale before I had enough room in my food budget to eat them all.
  • likitisplit
    I will try and eat it in a limited portion. However, even then it is a risky proposition since one not great food choice can quickly lead to ruin!

Why do you think that is? I honestly want to know, because I think this is the underlying challenge many people face with moderation?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Varda, I would say for me it is 1, 2 and 3....with adding another option: 1/2 serving snack packs. I love those things.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member

Why do you think that is? I honestly want to know, because I think this is the underlying challenge many people face with moderation?

For me, it just sets off additional cravings. I can moderately eat one food, then crave another, and another, and another. Sometimes I fend off cravings, sometimes I don't.

I found the hardest time for me to fend off cravings was when I was depressed because I literally didn't care about how I looked, and also by noon I was so worn out from just being awake that any willpower I had was gone.

I would think "This is gonna make you gain weight. Oh well, who cares?"
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    I consider myself a volume eater and it is rare that things fill me up, so things like cheesecake which are obviously not meant to be consumed in large portions are not usually the best options for me (hence the need to avoid completely when possible). Maybe my eyes are just bigger than my stomach and I am clearly not exhibiting good impulse control. Even when I eat salads, I load up on the greens, not because I like the taste of lettuce, but because it just seems so much more satisfying to see that much food. I also eat way too fast and I'm pretty sure that contributes mightily to the problem!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member

This deserves lots of investigation...
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    How about "save or earn a decent number of calories so you can chuck moderation out of the window"?

Saying that, I do have 3 penguin mini roll bars sitting here uneaten, right next to me.
    That I had 600g of mince with onions, a load of lettuce and two tomatoes about an hour before I ate the other three bars probably helped :).

Can I be so 'moderate' tomorrow when I have a load of calories to spend? I forsee the dog getting a run, despite the planned "day off" :).
  • likitisplit

For me, it just sets off additional cravings. I can moderately eat one food, then crave another, and another, and another. Sometimes I fend off cravings, sometimes I don't.

I found the hardest time for me to fend off cravings was when I was depressed because I literally didn't care about how I looked, and also by noon I was so worn out from just being awake that any willpower I had was gone.

I would think "This is gonna make you gain weight. Oh well, who cares?"

I totally get the just not caring piece. One time and another, for various reasons, I've just not had it in me to care. I'd be like "hey, I'll get back to this in six months."