Healthy Milkshake?

Options
tinks_13
tinks_13 Posts: 40
So I'm trying to lose weight, I have given up a lot of junk food but one thing I can't seem to to let go of is milkshake. Does anyone have any healthy recipes or know anywhere that I can get a good healthy milkshake without feeling guilty?

Your help is much appreciated!

:)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    make a smoothie...but just an FYI, something can be healthy and still very calorie dense. As I type this I am enjoying my "Berry Banana" recovery smoothie which consists of a handful of almonds, a few strawberries, a handful of blueberries, a banana, 1 cup of plain greek yogurt and 1/2 cup 1% milk and it clocks in around 500 calories for a pint...but it is very nutritious and a good ratio of carbs to fat to protein for recovery after my long rides.

Or you could just have a milkshake and fit it into your calorie goal...there's really nothing inherently "unhealthy" about a milkshake either.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Try blending a frozen banana, and some frozen berries into milk or a combination of milk and yoghurt.
  • cbpbro
    cbpbro Posts: 49
    Options
    Make an egg cream, blend raw eggs with some stevia or splenda and sugar free vanilla syrup. Tastes amazing.
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I personally cut up a medium sized banana and freeze it. Once frozen I put it in the blender with a serving of unsweetened almond milk, a serving of PB2, and a serving of sugar free chocolate syrup (can be subbed for choco protein powder if you use it). I sometimes use unsweetened frozen cherries instead of banana if I want a chocolate covered cherry "milkshake".
  • pavenewpaths
    Options
    My go-to is a 1/2 cup low fat ice cream, 1 banana, 3/4 cup almond milk, 1 tablesoon peanut butter, and ice if needed.
  • hilaria81
    hilaria81 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of milkshakes since trying to lose weight. They are smaller than what I would have had before, but they definitely hit the spot without breaking the bank. I use half a cup of light ice cream (like Edy's Slow Churned Vanilla or Perry's Perfectly Churned), maybe a quarter- or half-cup of skim milk, some crushed ice, and any extra items for flavor - like fruit or a spoonful of chocolate syrup, creme de menthe syrup, whatever (though you might not even need that if you're already using a flavored ice cream besides vanilla). My latest milkshake was about 200 calories and I loved it.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    My recommendation for a healthy milkshake (chocolate) :

Cocoa powder, Milk, half teaspoon salt, Xylitol, blender...

There are no exact measurements other than the salt, the salt adds a certain flavour that's needed in the milkshake surprisingly.. But otherwise, mix to your preference.. Alternatively, you can use a sweetener from xylitol
  • katsiano
    katsiano Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/
    These are some awesome protein shakes that taste like a milkshake, they're so yummy! Maybe try these?
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 pitted dates, frozen strawberries, splash of vanilla, enough milk to blend smoothly
  • ExpectantHope
    ExpectantHope Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had a lovely protein milkshake today - 1 frozen banana (cut it into slices before freezing), a few strawberries, almond milk, half a scoop of cookies and cream flavoured protein powder and half a tablespoon of cocoa powder. Freezing the banana gives it a lovely creamy consistency and you can add all different fruits, nuts, milks etc. :)
  • latebloomer101
    Options
    I'd suggest that you change from milkshakes to a smoothie.

You can put in frozen fruits and any kind of vegetables that you like in together. I'd also suggest that you use a frozen smoothie mix to get everything blended and it's sold in the frozen food department of the grocery stores. Just make sure that you have a blender that will be able to handle grinding everything up together. You definitely would need a high powered blender. The blender you get should save you money over the long run. I use my Ninja Blender and mine turns out my smoothies very well. You have to try different fruits and vegetables until you find the combinations that you'd love.

I make myself 1 smoothie everyday. Hope that this will be able to help you!
  • tinks_13
    tinks_13 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks! I definitely will!
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you use sweetners then My Protein sell flavour drops made with sucralose and they are amazing! I have a few drops in my coffee or add to yoghurt or non flavoured protein. They cost £3.99 and last for ages. I have banana, strawberry, raspberry, toffee and vanilla and they have helped me keep on track. I can even add them to vodka with soda water if I want an alcoholic drink without the cals of wine! And obviously added to milk they make great low cal milkshakes ;)
  • LoveInnocent
    LoveInnocent Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what type of milkshake you want to make, there are options. Skim milk, maybe using protein chocolate powder, fruits, eggwhites, yogurt. Try experimenting a bit its one of my favorite things to do, you never know what you will make and discover you really enjoy.
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I personally cut up a medium sized banana and freeze it. Once frozen I put it in the blender with a serving of unsweetened almond milk, a serving of PB2, and a serving of sugar free chocolate syrup (can be subbed for choco protein powder if you use it). I sometimes use unsweetened frozen cherries instead of banana if I want a chocolate covered cherry "milkshake".

This sounds amazing!
  • BikerChickAlice
    BikerChickAlice Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love coconut milk, with some mango thrown in. Tastes like a pina colada. For a more treaty option they do the chocolate flavoured coconut milk... You could add some frozen cherries! Yum!

(Koko dairy free chocolate coconut milk is the one I use) x
  • LoveInnocent
    LoveInnocent Posts: 44 Member
    Options

This sounds amazing!
    I agree! I'm gonna try this next time I have my protein powder!! I got all the ingredients for it.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Kroger carbmaster vanilla skim milk tastes like a melted milkshake already. Pour 1 1/2 c in your blender, add 3 ice cubes and whiz. Only 90 calories!!! And 22g of protein!!! Lactose free as well.
  • BikerChickAlice
    BikerChickAlice Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Kroger carbmaster vanilla skim milk tastes like a melted milkshake already. Pour 1 1/2 c in your blender, add 3 ice cubes and whiz. Only 90 calories!!! And 22g of protein!!! Lactose free as well.

This is sooooo good. Wish I could get it in the UK!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's not exactly "milk", but you can try mixing cocoa, almond milk and tbsp maple syrop...