Help with new clothes!

Options

Replies

• Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Kohl's has a good selection of shorts (in all lengths). Great when you have a coupon or Kohl's cash.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If you have clothes you really love, and you can't sew, having them altered may be an option. Where I live there is a woman in town who does alterations out of her home.....it's not that expensive, definitely cheaper than buying new clothes.

This, in fact, I need to call the one near my home tomorrow. I have a dress and a pair of pants that I don't want to start my work summer without.

For shorts - thrift stores are fine.

For jeans - Old Navy (my daughter has pairs of jeans that are 6 years old and just starting to fray. We bought her one pair of black pants for work and she washes them daily because her other jeans have lasted so long. Also, the Kohl's clearance rack.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Ditto all the stores suggested, but one that hasn't been mentioned is JCPenny. Until last year, I had never bought an article of clothing at JCP but then my local go-to store closed and I couldn't find anyplace with decently prices business clothing. Enter JCP.

They have a nice business selection and always have stuff on clearance. I've found button down shirts for $4, dress pants for $10-15. If I find a great deal on something a little too small I go ahead and get it. I bought pants a little tighter than I'd normally wear, 2 1/2 months later they are too lose and about to be replaced again. :laugh:

For more casual clothes I hit up all the other places mentioned. I had to go on a search to find shorts/capris in the middle of winter, in MN, for our beach vacation. LOL
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I went to Old Navy, Gap, and Banana Republic outlet stores, during a sale, with bonus bucks back. I use my ON credit card, earn the bucks back, use them at those stores. Sometimes you can find good stuff at the Thrift stores, it just takes some time to sift through everything. I also like Danskin stuff from Walmart. I dress pretty casually, though. I have no advice for business or dressy clothes.

These have been my go too as well... And I shop mostly online. They have such great sales that buying a new wardrobe hasn't broken the bank.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I figure since everyone here (or for the most part) is in maintenance then at some point you have had to buy new clothes. I am down 4 sizes from where I started and I'm basically buying a whole new wardrobe. Yeah for weight loss! Boo for being broke! It's 80 here this week and I am in desperate need of shorts. I don't ming buying new, since I plan to stay where I am size-wise. Where did you find the best deals getting new clothes??
    Try some outlet stores if you have them in your area- Kohls, TJ Max, Ross. Kinds of busy, disorganized, but some good bargains.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite places is burkes outlet/bells...they have great prices and mostly name brand stuff

another one of my favorite things to do is find a consignment shop that has a style you like and would buy stuff from and consign the things that are way too big there- its a great way for extra cash and most will give you trade credit too.

tj maxx, ross, marshalls...all great too.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can find good stuff at the Thrift stores, it just takes some time to sift through everything.

The sifting can be hard, but one of our local thrift stores offers a FREE personal shopping service. It's amazing - you give her your size and style information and show up to a rack full of outfits and single pieces, accessories and all, chosen for you. You get a private dressing room, try things on, get the stylist's opinion, and buy what you want. I've had two of these appointments and they filled my closet with great stuff.

Twin Cities people - this is Arc's Value Village. Find the personal shopper on FB, where she posts all open appointments. You're welcome :)

Thank you!!!!! Will be checking this out!!!!!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I figure since everyone here (or for the most part) is in maintenance then at some point you have had to buy new clothes. I am down 4 sizes from where I started and I'm basically buying a whole new wardrobe. Yeah for weight loss! Boo for being broke! It's 80 here this week and I am in desperate need of shorts. I don't ming buying new, since I plan to stay where I am size-wise. Where did you find the best deals getting new clothes??
    Do you have a Ross in town? TJ Max? Marshalls? Those places are great for new clothes at great prices. Thrift stores are another option, but try to hit up a shop in the nicer part of town for some quality clothing at crazy low prices.
  • Allyvegan
    Allyvegan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    All the clothes I previously had were about a size 8-10/L, and NONE were fitting anymore. I do mostly all shopping online, but had no idea what size I would be. I started at Kohl's, but could only find a size 6 in misses, and it was way too big... and the quality was blah. I ended up finding a ton of things at TJ Maxx (unexpected) and now know my size to order online again (um, hello 2/XS...). However, I'm totally into TJ Maxx now-quality/"designer" clothing, but reasonable prices (sounds like a commercial..).

Anyway, totally in the same boat! I dislike spending money period, and especially on clothes, so it's hard when you basically 'need' EVERYTHING.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I shop at Macy's and Dillard's when they are having sales and clearances with a coupon. The prices end up being up to 90% off for designer duds that don't fall apart or look cheap.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    This sounds a bit crazy but I have found that a lot of large antique malls have clothing sprinkled throughout the booths of dishes and home decor stuff. It is odd, but more & more common. I have found some surprisingly good name brand stuff, or items that I've had in the past and know how sizing runs (Kohls or JCP for example) -- and the prices are usually very low at least in my area.
  • Emmie112
    Emmie112 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I buy most of my work clothes from Express, The Limited, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Nordstrom and Macy's. I like to visit the store to find my size/style and buy things online when there's a sale. I usually walk out of the store with a couple of pieces so I have something to wear until I find a deal...

Also I started shopping at American Eagle for casual clothes. I got shorts on sale for $6-10. And I go to Forever 21 and H&M for $20 trendy outfits I'll just wear once or twice.

If I had more free time I would practice sewing. I took a class ages ago and learned to sew a skirt from a pattern and how to do basic alterations. But taking in my skirts or pants at the waist is still too complicated for me to attempt on my own.
  • DianaAmorim
    Options
    I highly recomend Ebay. They have the free shipping option also :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I highly recomend Ebay. They have the free shipping option also :)

You can't try it out though!

I definitely should check TJMaxx and Marshall at some point, I just hate those stores because they are such a mess.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I love to buy clothes online ... I got from ebay a very expensive jeans and for very cheap about 2 months ago ... of course back then it wasn't even close to fit me ... today is the ONLY pants that fit me right .... summer is coming up and I wanna show the new me
    the problem is I still have another 20 pounds to go so if I get a new wardrobe now I may find myself in the same situation in 60-90 days :( ...
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't buy online, unless I know that specific item already fits, like I've tried it on in the store, then bought it online. I find that sizes range so much, and the charts aren't always accurate .

I find great deals at tj maxx, marshalls, Ross. I have really good luck at all those stores. Sometimes kohls also.

I know what your going through, I was a 14, now I'm a size 4! So I've had to shop many many many times during my journey. Good luck and happy shopping!!!
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I always check out the juniors sections of stores, too. The prices are cheaper, and I find the pants fit me better as long as the waist isn't too low. I find it very difficult to find my size pants on sale in department stores.
    As for Old Navy, I have work pants from there that I've been wearing for over 7 years. Yes, some of the clothes from there are poor quality, but the heavier fabric pants and yoga pants I've bought have lasted well. I wear my yoga pants from there more than once a week to sleep or exercise, and they're several years old.
    I got a couple of pairs of denim shorts from there last summer for cheap, and I wore them each at least once a week, and they're still in good shape. I like that there are a variety of lengths because I'm too old to wear short-shorts, but I don't want walking shorts either.
    On the other hand, I've had thinner shorts from there that lost the hem after a few Washington, but I paid peanuts for them from the sale rack, so it was no big deal.
    Edited to add: the biggest problem with Old Navy is that the clothes run a size or two larger than everywhere else I shop. My teenage daughter who wears a 3 or 5 juniors can't find clothes there that fit now because she's too tall for the girls sizes, and all the adult sizes are too huge.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't buy online, unless I know that specific item already fits, like I've tried it on in the store, then bought it online. I find that sizes range so much, and the charts aren't always accurate .

I find great deals at tj maxx, marshalls, Ross. I have really good luck at all those stores. Sometimes kohls also.

I know what your going through, I was a 14, now I'm a size 4! So I've had to shop many many many times during my journey. Good luck and happy shopping!!!

I only buy online after trying a specific brand at the store
    the funny part about thrift stores is that their prices are not much different than new clothes sometimes or at least it was like over a year ago

thank you for your input
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of my clothes at Maurices. For one they are one of the only clothing stores around and second they are great with customer service. Usually I will start looking and they will continue bringing me things to try. I love the deals with online but I NEED to try on as my body has been changing SOOOO much lately as I am sure many of yours do as well. Any way Maurices as casual and business, plus and reg, and I feel they are priced fairly.

Best of luck
  • oh honey bunny, i love shopping, but hate spending money. kind of a weird combo i guess, but hey you're not alone : )

i shop strictly at kohls, but here's how to do it smart:

wait until you get a $10 off coupon (usually a sticker on the front page of a newspaper) & combine that with a 30% off coupon. i go online and shop through their clearance section until i drop. their clearance are already good prices, but take off 30% and $10 extra dollars (plus free shipping after $75 is spent), then heck yeah, you get a whole wardrobe for $100+.

if you're worried about returning items, they'll take them at any physical store location (you don't even need receipts). somehow they can look it up by the credit card that you used to purchase your items.

now, if kohls isn't your thing, i'd suggest 1) ross or 2) goodwill in a nice part of town.
    ross has those marked down last season items which are cheap in quality and price, but it's a start for a new wardrobe until you can afford good investment pieces.
    if you live near a goodwill in a yuppie part of town, do it to it girl! you'd be amazed what you can find at next to nothing prices!

good luck with the clothing hunt and so happy you've reached your maintenance goal weight!