Just bagged up all my "bigger" clothes!!! Now what to do?

Options
I got 4 huge bags full! It felt so good but also made me nervous. Part of me wants to keep them in case I need them again but the other part of me says to get rid of them so I don't have an excuse to get back into them. This is rough, lol

Replies

• jordy89x
    jordy89x Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was only having this conversation with someone awhile ago :)
    If I was you I would give them away to charity or do whatever you want with them just get rid of them! Think positive! There is no 'just in case' .. Your going to keep up the good work and your never going to go back ;) that is an old chapter of your life now, declutter I say, and well done on the weight loss :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Mine are still in the wardrobe got loads of the stuff. I am toying between carboot sale and charity shop. I never want to fit into my old sizes again so need to just get cracking and get rid.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Give them away........ no point keeping them. If they are your favourite items, get them altered.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    I say get rid of them. The motivation to keep losing will be there because you won't want to buy new bigger clothes
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Donate them to charity. You won't be needing them ever again! :wink:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I got 4 huge bags full! It felt so good but also made me nervous. Part of me wants to keep them in case I need them again but the other part of me says to get rid of them so I don't have an excuse to get back into them. This is rough, lol
    Getting rid of my fat clothes was a joyful task. I didn't keep them so there would be no turning back. That was almost two years ago.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I understand the anxiety that accompanies this!! I have been there.

Have you yo-yo dieted in the past? If so, I might hang on to a few things...I know most people would advise against that. But I am practical so I'd want that backup JUST IN CASE but I'd pack them off in a taped-up box in an inconvenient area (attic or something) and plan NEVER to get them back out. If you haven't yo-yo dieted really...then toss that junk away (or better yet donate)!!

For me, it wasn't easy to part with the first round of clothes. But it gets easier with time. It was a matter of wearing my size 22 clothes until they seriously looked TERRIBLE on me and then I really did not want them anymore, even some of my favorite items lost their luster when they were sagging and did not fit the same at all. I am usually quite fashion-conscious, and for the first time in my life I had friends, coworkers, and family telling me, "Angela that is WAY too big for you". It was a wake-up call I needed!!

Moving forward, maybe just get enough stuff to get you by fashionably and feeling good! I learned that the hard way when I replaced my ENTIRE wardrobe in size 18 clothes, only to need 16 soon after - and then 14 a few months after that. I originally lost about 50 lb without changing sizes so I didn't realize how much faster it goes the smaller you get!!

Good luck!
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had three large friends and coworkers I shared the clothes with. They picked through and then the rest went to charity. Close that door of owning something to big.
    The nice thing from giving to friends, they see my wanting to loose the weight and two are making lifestyle changes. Mind you, I said little about loosing weight, I just said I was culling out my closet. In fact one apologized in accepting the clothes as she did not believe she would be wearing long. I just told her to pay it forward.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I had three large friends and coworkers I shared the clothes with. They picked through and then the rest went to charity. Close that door of owning something to big.
    The nice thing from giving to friends, they see my wanting to loose the weight and two are making lifestyle changes. Mind you, I said little about loosing weight, I just said I was culling out my closet. In fact one apologized in accepting the clothes as she did not believe she would be wearing long. I just told her to pay it forward.

I REALLY wish I could do this! My problem is that I think all of my friends would be super offended by this. I have always been the fattest friend and now I'm not...but I think most of them still see me that way and would be upset at the mere suggestion of some of my offcast clothes. Weird how that works. Last summer I had so many adorable jeans and capris in sizes 18-22 and offered them to a friend who is definitely size 22-24 or so, and she was all gung ho about losing weight etc, and I don't think she's actually lost any but she acted really peeved by my offer. So now I'm super gunshy about this!! Also, most of my friends (not the woman I mentioned) are a lot shorter than me so even though we may wear similar sizes I think they would consider me "far larger"...denial I guess. lol
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Donate them to Goodwill/Charity.

Don't even think about keeping them "just in case".
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congrats on not needing those big sizes! Awesome!!

I like the idea of giving to others and get them to pay it forward
  • ksketcher
    ksketcher Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :happy: I would donate them or something for sure! I believe the motivation will come because you'll not want to buy new larger clothes. You'll be a new healthier you and strive to keep going. You've already made huge strides to get where you are. Enjoy the new you and treat yourself with new better fitting clothes for maximum encouragement.:smile:
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Give them to charity and don't look back. That's a cleaner break then selling them at a yard sale.

Giving away your larger clothes cuts off your "escape route", so to speak.

If your new, smaller clothes start getting tight, it is a wakeup call. Don't let the big clothes in your closet be a "snooze button".
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I love that feeling! Congratulations! I donated all but 2 of mine. I took the largest pair of pants and blouse and put them in a trash bag labeled it and told my husband to take it a never bring it back out, UNTIL I was at the size I want to be. So I can compare! SO far so good! I am worried my ind will say "Oh well, you gained it back. Go get those fat cloths!"
  • Mrswheels01
    Mrswheels01 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Donate them girl!! WTG on the weight lost!! Never going back to them!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    eBay any brands to fund your new wardrobe when you drop your next size!!
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your big clothes!

Either give them away to friends or donate them to a charity clothing shop. If you're committed to keeping the weight off you will never need them. And you will be motivated to stay at your new, smaller size because, in part, you don't want to have to buy bigger clothes again.

Say goodbye to the old you by saying goodbye to those old clothes!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    A suggestion if you choose to donate: check with you local women's safe houses. They are always looking for clothes, especially in bigger sizes, since many of the women show up with nothing except the clothes on their back. Also, if you have some nice work clothing that would be appropriate for an interview or office, check with local charities that provide interview and work clothing to people looking for employment.
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I donated half of them already. Now I have a new batch that are ready to kick the curb! Since I'm never going back, I don't need them! You shouldn't either! Say goodbye to the old you and welcome the new you!

BUT! Keep your BIGGEST shirt and pants. Take a picture of yourself in them when you hit your goal! :D
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ive lost a large amount of weight in the past and made the mistake of keeping the clothes. As you gain a few pounds if you don't have anything to reach for I think you would be more aware of it and take care of it early on. I would just keep putting on bigger clothes, the next thing I knew I had to buy clothes. I had gained back a total of 136lbs!!!! This time my plan is to throw them out the second they get to big. And once I get to a size where I have to buy new stuff it will NOT be stretchie!!! No cotton / stretchie blends. My jeans will have no give, if I gain a few pounds I want those clothes to be uncomfortable. This time there's no going back and I'm going to make it hard to do so.

I with you all the luck in the world! Congratulations on your success and Blessings! :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!